Post your bulk macros!

Options

Replies

• andyluvv
    andyluvv Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've definitely switched up my diet staples @andyluvv since starting this bulk. I was constantly in a deficit basically because of my job (I know, awful...) but it consisted of ALOT of vegetables and low carb/ high fiber finds (breads/tortillas/cereals). Now I'm still getting in a ton of veggies and micros simply cause I enjoy them, but I eat a lot more starchy veggies and going through brown rice and oats like crazy since I started since it's cheap, easy, and lots of cals! But as much as I do love to eat, sometimes I'm like "well it's 11pm and I got a lot of macros to fill out" and be very unmotivated/ lazy to make something lol, but it's my fault for not eating them earlier. But I definitely love the increase in performance it's giving me in the gym, so I'm gonna stick with it!(:

That sounds great!
    I've been feeling really lethargic lately and have skipped the gym for week not sure if maybe not eating enough - I've also had a crazy sweet tooth craving (maybe because I got the flu haha) so I've been eating loads, constantly hungry but still feeling very tired.

I'm a bit disappointed because I was eating so much during my bulk but didn't really see a lot of change in muscle and it made me worry I was just piling on fat. I felt that it was too much effort in the end and gave up D:
  • klrenn
    klrenn Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Next week I'm going to start tracking (though I have already started my bulk and have gained over the past 2 weeks...)

1950 calories
    100g protein
    65g fat
    242g carbs
    (I think I did the math right)

I wish I had enough calories to not worry about eating too much...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    klrenn wrote: »
    Next week I'm going to start tracking (though I have already started my bulk and have gained over the past 2 weeks...)

1950 calories
    100g protein
    65g fat
    242g carbs
    (I think I did the math right)

I wish I had enough calories to not worry about eating too much...

Ditto. I'm going to start gaining on 2000 :( In maintenance I used to eat at a deficit during the week because 2000 wasn't enough for a Saturday. Not sure that will be wise during a bulk though.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure mine out at the moment. .8grams of protein seems so low. I've always eaten more just because I like meat, in a deficit. I have no idea where I'm going to like my fat vs. carbs, guess it'll take a little trial and error?

Based on your desire to eat protein, I say keep your protein around the same all the time if possible. I stay around 1-1.2xBW. Doesn't hurt.

Fats are fine to increase above minimums depending upon your eating tendencies/preferences, and your reaction to a high carb diet... if you're used to high carbs, then by all means...I have clients who have different reactions to carbs (fast acting carbs in particular) once they go over a certain threshold... Play with different fats:carbs ratios and figure out which you like best. That's all I have..

**Keep in mind these macros are much more important when in a deficit.** ENJOY ALL THE FOOD!

Thanks for the input! Yeah I will probably keep protein around 1xbw. I WANT to increase fats but honestly, I'm going to start bulking on 2100 calories. That's like how much normal people eat, and I'll still want volume at that intake. We'll see. Carbs make me feel a little blah. But I'm wondering if it's source I get them from.

Yeah, I can relate to wanting to keep fats minimal for more volume...

Could definitely be the source of carbs. Track that closely, monitor how you feel with different carbohydrate sources and levels. Play with it! You'll figure it out!
  • skwaats95
    skwaats95 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started to track intake again but my baseline to gain weight is around 550 carb, 70 fat, 175 protein.
    Pinggolfer96 I too am a golfer (NCAA D1) and require a chit ton of food in season.

I think tracking during a bulk should be limited to calories and protein to avoid the obsessive compulsive behavior that usually comes with bulking.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    skwaats95 wrote: »
    I just started to track intake again but my baseline to gain weight is around 550 carb, 70 fat, 175 protein.
    Pinggolfer96 I too am a golfer (NCAA D1) and require a chit ton of food in season.

I think tracking during a bulk should be limited to calories and protein to avoid the obsessive compulsive behavior that usually comes with bulking.

I totally agree with that. Sometimes I get a little crazy trying to hit my bulk macros to the point where it's almost has the same stress feeling as a cut!
  • PaulReding
    PaulReding Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Calories 3500
    Carbs 525 60%
    Pro 219 25%
    Fat 58 15%
    180lbs
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    dslogdog wrote: »
    Bulking at
    Carbs 300
    Protein 150
    Fat 75

How many calories is that?
    Your numbers look similar to what I did on my last bulk (but a little higher in protein). I think I'll try out your numbers :)
  • sjohnson__1
    Options
    iorahkwano wrote: »
    dslogdog wrote: »
    Bulking at
    Carbs 300
    Protein 150
    Fat 75

How many calories is that?

[300 x 4] + [150 x 4] + [75 x 9] = 2475 calories.

*1g of protein/carbs = 4 calories, 1g fat = 9 calories.
  • FitNik2481
    FitNik2481 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I'm no longer bulking, but at the end of mine I was at
    3300 calories 400g C,128g F,130-140g P

When did you start more fat than protein for bulking?
  • FitNik2481
    Options
    nikkihust wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I'm no longer bulking, but at the end of mine I was at
    3300 calories 400g C,128g F,130-140g P

When did you start more fat equal to protein for bulking?
  • FitNik2481
    Options
    Just hit my first macros spot on via percentage /macro but gone slightly over looking my nutrients.

Carbs Total 437 Goal 334
    Protein Total 338 Goal 260
    Fat Total 85 Goal 66
    Percentage Targets C45% P20% F35%

All all hit spot on but as you see nutrition breakdown I've gone over recommended but for bulking I feel this will be fine.

Ideas/Agree/Disagree, all welcome comments

what are the positives for a higher fat to protein ratio for bulking?

• sjohnson__1
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Just hit my first macros spot on via percentage /macro but gone slightly over looking my nutrients.

Carbs Total 437 Goal 334
    Fat Total 85 Goal 66

All all hit spot on but as you see nutrition breakdown I've gone over recommended but for bulking I feel this will be fine.

Never really heard of a protein:fat ratio when bulking. From what I've gathered over the last few years, at minimum levels fats are vital for overall health and wellness. After that minimum is met, it doesn't really make much of a difference.. some people respond differently to certain foods and food sources, others just prefer to eat fatty meats and fats in general and some need extra fat sources to help them reach their calories without feeling overly stuffed. I, personally, haven't seen anything with respect to a positive or negative analysis of high fat and high carb bulking. Calories are king, protein is next in line... let the rest fall where they may.
  • pinggolfer96
    Options

Carbs Total 437 Goal 334
    Fat Total 85 Goal 66

Protein is only effective for protein synthesis to a certain point. If you weigh 150lbs, and you're eating 200 grams of protein, you would basically see the same results as eating 150 grams of protein. Some people also have trouble getting in calories on a bulk. With fat being more than double the calories of the other 2 macros, they tend to increase their fat intake in order to get in the necessary calories. Protein can also be expensive for some people in large quantity, compared to a jar of peanut butter that has a high caloric value for only like $3. It's just preference, but after you hit your minimums for protein, it won't really benefit you strength and size wise to increase your protein past that point, unless you just enjoy eating protein more. I'm at about 1.3 grams of protein per lb of body weight, and that's considered a little high to some.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

Carbs Total 437 Goal 334
    Fat Total 85 Goal 66

1) Taste preference.
    2) Pizza.
    3) Your body can only synthesize protein up to about 0.6 to 0.8 g/lb body weight. Since you cannot store excess protein, protein intake above your synthesis rate gets converted to glucose or fatty acid. So nutritionally at the macro level, excessive protein is an expensive carb or fat source.
    4) Ice cream.
    5) A lot of people struggle with hitting their calorie goal every day on a bulk, and fat calories are usually easier to overeat than protein.
    6) Peanut butter.
    7) Ice cream.
    8) Pizza.
  • sjohnson__1
    Options
    richln wrote: »

Carbs Total 437 Goal 334
    Fat Total 85 Goal 66

1) Taste preference.
    2) Pizza.
    3) Your body can only synthesize protein up to about 0.6 to 0.8 g/lb body weight. Since you cannot store excess protein, protein intake above your synthesis rate gets converted to glucose or fatty acid. So nutritionally at the macro level, excessive protein is an expensive carb or fat source.
    4) Ice cream.
    5) A lot of people struggle with hitting their calorie goal every day on a bulk, and fat calories are usually easier to overeat than protein.
    6) Peanut butter.
    7) Ice cream.
    8) Pizza.

9) Burritos
    10) Poptarts

Okay, got'em all. +1 @richln !
  • mar10817
    mar10817 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    4130 cal
    413 p
    413c
    92f
  • pinggolfer96
    Options
    mar10817 wrote: »
    4130 cal
    413 p
    413c
    92f

Holy protein! :# Why so much?
  • sjohnson__1
    edited October 2015
    Options
    413g of protein.... sounds expensive. Where'd you get the info, bb.com? lulz.
  • GregRamz
    GregRamz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My bulking calories right now are around 2500 with 175P/310C/60F. I'm doing a lean bulk so I'm keeping my calories fairly low but I'm going to increase then shortly because I'm not really gaining any weight now.