green tea?!!!

Options
I've been hearing a lot of people talk about how three cups a day of green tea helps you lose weight.. and i was just curious if anybody could recommend a good brand of green tea

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    not true.

Only drink green tea if you enjoy it.

I like bigelow brand.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Green tea does not help you lose weight.
    I love the taste of green tea though, my favourite is tazo's zen.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    Green tea does not help you lose weight.
    I love the taste of green tea though, my favourite is tazo's zen.

This^

I like many flavored green teas. Lipton's SuperFruit Red Goji and Raspberry tea is yummy. The Dragon Fruit & Melon one tastes weird to me.

The thing to keep in mind with green tea, if the water is too hot you can scald the tea leaves. You want the water "just about" boiling. Scalding green tea leaves makes the tea bitter.
  • kikijewell89
    kikijewell89 Posts: 13 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've been reading alot of studies that suggest that drinking 3 cups a day aids in a substantial amount in long term weight loss..
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've been reading alot of studies that suggest that drinking 3 cups a day aids in a substantial amount in long term weight loss..

Studies??? Or articles/blogs?

Could you provide us with links to those studies?
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Was it funded by Dr. Oz?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Links to those studies would help if you want to discuss them. The older studies I've seen all show a tiny impact on.metabolism - around 4-5% which would allow you to eat maybe 50-100 extea calories. For most people, that's still witjin the margin of error that comes along with calorie counting. But as I said, those were older studies and not conclusive.
  • kikijewell89
    Options
    Yes! Studies, not doctor oz, not blogs. Studies.. Here's one, there are several others you can look up yourself. Http://news.psu.edu/story/310179/2014/04/02/research/reasearch-suggests-green-tea-exercise-boost-weight-loss-health
  • kikijewell89
    Options
    Try the second.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Dang, 8-10 cups a day? Lets not forget that green tea is a diuretic. If you drink that much tea I would hope you are taking in enough water to counter the diuretic effects, too.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

That's an article...not a study.

Articles tend to hose up the actual science reporting, as we've seen with the WHO cancer & Lustig sugar studies being reported on just the last couple days.

The first word in the article is "Mice". 'Nuff said.
  • kikijewell89
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It most definitely doesn't hurt to give green tea a try. This was not posted as a debate as to whether or not green tea WILL make you loose weight, it contains healthy properties, and if there are several doctors and Studies suggesting that it may help, than it certainly doesn't hurt to try. I may be new to MFP. But I'm pretty sure the goal is to motivate and encourage. Like I said it doesn't hurt to give it a TRY
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It most definitely doesn't hurt to give green tea a try. This was not posted as a debate as to whether or not green tea WILL make you loose weight, it contains healthy properties, and if there are several doctors and Studies suggesting that it may help, than it certainly doesn't hurt to try. I may be new to MFP. But I'm pretty sure the goal is to motivate and encourage. Like I said it doesn't hurt to give it a TRY

As a counterpoint, I would say that the energy that we spend trying and doing things that are irrelevant to weight loss in an attempt to lose weight DO hurt us if that energy could better be used planning and executing activities that WILL help us meet our goals.

I say this as someone who tried a lot of these random tips and tricks over the years. If you like green tea, it certainly doesn't hurt to drink it. But if you wouldn't otherwise drink it, drinking it in the hopes you will lose weight isn't helpful. It's much better to use that planning, will power, and determination on the actions that we know will result in weight loss.
  • kikijewell89
    edited October 2015
    Options
    yes I understand that, and that makes sense but as someone who enjoys green tea hearing that it may help you lose weight it definitely does not hurt to drink a few more glasses a day.. I personally wouldn't consider it wasted effort or energy
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It could help, but it really think the reasons it helps are more due to other factors, not the tea itself. I love green tea in the afternoon with a snack because it has just enough caffeine to get me through but not so much that I can't get to sleep. I once read about a man who decided to start drinking a cup at the end of each meal as an external que that meal time is over so he wouldn't keep snacking. I think what people are trying to say is that no one single thing will make you lose weight, but rather a series of changes to all your poor habits. If you like tea, drink it, but just avoid the idea that the tea is doing anything except functioning as a warm beverage.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    yes I understand that, and that makes sense but as someone who enjoys green tea hearing that it may help you lose weight it definitely does not hurt to drink a few more glasses a day.. I personally wouldn't consider it wasted effort or energy

Drinking something you enjoy isn't a waste. I'm talking about the search for "magic bullets," that's what I think can be counter-productive. We see so many posts here from people asking about what tea they should drink to lose weight or if it's true that eating certain foods will make you lose weight. This flailing around is what is counter-productive -- that time and resolution spend looking for that special item . . . it's a distraction.

If you already drink green tea and enjoy it, why are you looking for brand recommendations? Don't you already have one that you like?
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options

That article is super interesting, especially considering that they used decaffeinated tea. I totally agree with you, while whether or not green tea helps people lose fat is still up in the air, the antioxidants and other health benefits make it more than worth giving it a go. Green tea has also been shown to lower blood sugar when taken with meals (which can help improve insulin sensitivity).

I like to drink green tea as matcha (and matcha lattes!), but getting good quality is expensive. I generally get the culinary grade Maeda-en brand. Its also great for baking and smoothies and gives everything a really pretty green color. I try to keep it to 1 cup a day too keep my consumed caffeine in check.