Alcohol, alcohol and more alcohol

Options
kbmnurse
kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
Well, it has taken me 56 years to realize I have to STOP consuming alcohol. I was only fooling myself when I told myself it was ok to drink on the weekends. I would consume a 12 pack of lite beer every weekend sometimes more. I never drank during the work week. So exercise would be out because I was always so lethargic the next day. I am going to make a commitment to myself. I will not drink an alcoholic beverage for 3 months and see how I feel at the end of that time. My last beer was on 10/24/15. Ok here it goes. B)o:)

Replies

• JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You can do it!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You can do it. :)
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I'm not a fan of beer. I would drink vodka. I haven't had a single drink in about a month. It makes a big difference. I'm now taking a multivitamin; I haven't missed a dose of my blood pressure meds; I exercise 6 days of out the week. I feel great. When I would have a drink, I felt like crap the next day. One day at a time; one weekend at a time; you can do it for sure.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I do something very similar - I'll cut out all alcohol for 1-3 months or so and then re-introduce it. I find it helps prevent me from going through half a bottle of vodka in a weekend. I find that I gradually start having more and more drinks and with increasing frequency and cutting it out for a while helps me to "reset" if you will.

You've got this!

~Lyssa
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. I find beer hangovers to be the absolute worst. I drink vodka these days and rarely if ever wake up feeling sluggish - but obviously, abstinence is probably best.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Yup, my ex deluded himself by thinking he didn't have a drinking problem because he only drank on Sundays. (Only it wasn't just Sundays, and he got blackout drunk every Sunday.)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It may be tough at first, simply because of the habit, but once you start feeling better physically it will be worth it and easier to maintain. And maybe you can add it back into your diet in the future, just in smaller quantities.
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I used to drink a fair amount and I quit drinking for 4.5 months - I reintroduced it and now I only drink occasionally. I feel so much better! You can do this! You'll love yourself for it later!
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I would never delude myself, and this is regarding myself only, that I could ever stop drinking completely unless i was given a good medical reason why i can't. i know i need to greatly reduce what i consume in a given day, but i only drink beer and wine, so i can control the amounts.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I know I'm just a stranger, but you have my support! :)
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I am in the wine business.

When I embarked on my journey, in May 2014, I decided that I would only taste and spit wine, not drink it. I did that for eight months. By the way, taste and spit, in the professional world of wine, is a normal thing. If I actually consumed every ounce of wine I have to try, I would be six feet under.

After eight months, I have added wine back in to my daily intake. The difference is that I now have it only with dinner, which means I consume less than coming home and having wine while relaxing and then having dinner.

It is counted in to my daily intake.

You can do this. You can make the change that you want to make. It will seem tough, at first, but then it will become your normal.
  • keepitcroosh
    keepitcroosh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I have health issues and I still drink a lot on the weekend. At least 12 beers. I dont have the determination and willpower yet. Use this time to really research on the short & longterm effects of alcohol. Good luck!!!!
  • kbmnurse
    Options
    Can't do wine---ugg. Day #2 ETOH free. LOL
  • livelovebbg
    livelovebbg Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any alcohol in a month - not for any specific reason, I've just been busy with work for the past 3 weekends. It wasn't a hard thing for me to kick, but I will be enjoying some vodka on Halloween and I like that it'll be a treat as opposed to something I do regularly!
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    That's why I drink liquor most of the time. More buzz for your calories.
  • kbmnurse
    Options
    Ugg can't do liquor either---don't like the taste. So no ETOH for me, day #3.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Good luck.