Hummus

I bought a thing of hummus and the times that I have eaten it, I have found it to be quite bland for my personal liking and am wondering if I could add some ranch dressing to the hummus to give it a bit of taste to it (I got the plain type).

Replies

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Tons of things you can add to spice it up. One of the favorites when I make hummus is to add sun dried tomatoes to it. Black beans and jalapenos are also good (process in about 1/3 - 1/2 of the hummus volume in black beans).

It would not occur to me to add ranch dressing, although it wouldn't hurt anything. Plain hummus is generally just garbanzo beans, olive oil, lemon, tahini (sesame seed paste), tamari, garlic, parsley, and scallions.

Very easy to make - just toss all the ingredients in the blender. If you want to avoid the calories in olive oil, use water to bring it to the right consistency. You can spice it up with anything you care to throw in the food processor!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Roasted red peppers are my favorite personal addition
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    What are you eating with the hummus? Or are you just having the hummus plain?

Mild hummus is a great addition to a hummus plate- I just had one with grilled pita, red onions, feta cheese, olives, carrots and cucumbers. The onions/cheese and olives are have a strong flavor.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Try mixing a little bit of it with cumin, add more garlic, or add fresh lemon juice.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Sprinkle some Cilli flakes/powder over the hummus. Add some black olives. To be honest, I like hummus as it is but variety is good.
  • melissajayne1980
    melissajayne1980 Posts: 12 Member
    I am eating the hummus, which come in a snack size, with veggies.
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Plain? What brand? Add salt and pepper to taste. Maybe even some herbs or oil.
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Or a few drops of hot sauce on top! Tasty and fewer calories!

This thread is making me want to eat hummus. :smile:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Adding ranch dressing to hummus seems like a rude thing to do to hummus.
  • tomofnj
    tomofnj Posts: 88 Member
    edited October 2015
    Hummus seems really high in calories, am I missing something? I like red roasted peppers and caramelized onions in mine but at the calorie hit, I don't get enough to enjoy.
  • arditarose
    tomofnj wrote: »
    Hummus seems really high in calories, am I missing something? I like red roasted peppers and caramelized onions in mine but at the calorie hit, I don't get enough to enjoy.

Calorie dense for me as well. I love it but would rather be able to eat the whole tub, or eat just eat something else...like a cookie.
  • melissajayne1980
    melissajayne1980 Posts: 12 Member
    arditarose wrote: »

Calorie dense for me as well. I love it but would rather be able to eat the whole tub, or eat just eat something else...like a cookie.

It's just a snack sized portion, not an entire tub
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Roasted red peppers are my favorite personal addition

mine as well...
  • arditarose
    arditarose wrote: »

It's just a snack sized portion, not an entire tub

Exactly