green tea?!!!

Options

Replies

• kikijewell89
    kikijewell89 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thank you I appreciate that and like I said I would like to use this post for its intended purposes which wasn't a debate on whether or not green tea helps you lose weight but rather people's preferences for brands of healthy green tea
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    thank you I appreciate that and like I said I would like to use this post for its intended purposes which wasn't a debate on whether or not green tea helps you lose weight but rather people's preferences for brands of healthy green tea

Given that you opened the thread with the claim that you were hearing lots of people talk about green tea as a weight loss aid, I'm not surprised people began discussing your statement.

I like Stash chai green tea.
  • kikijewell89
    Options
    Thanks!! I'll consider trying that brand...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The Kirkland brand is green and less bitter I find. There are many scholarly articles but with inconclusive results. I bet replacing a snack with water would be as effective.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Life would be boring if we all we did was sit around and agree with each other! ;) And yes, I debated the claim that it helps with weight loss as you brought it up. Had you ONLY asked what kind of green tea I prefer, I would not be able to answer as I do not prefer my tea green :) But if you are ever looking for a killer chai, check out Stash Spice Dragon Red Chai!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I drink green tea just about every day. If it was so good at helping with weight loss, I wouldn't be here. I drink Salada. :) Sometimes Lipton.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    It most definitely doesn't hurt to give green tea a try. This was not posted as a debate as to whether or not green tea WILL make you loose weight, it contains healthy properties, and if there are several doctors and Studies suggesting that it may help, than it certainly doesn't hurt to try. I may be new to MFP. But I'm pretty sure the goal is to motivate and encourage. Like I said it doesn't hurt to give it a TRY

It does have good nutritional properties and is chalk full of antioxidants...that has nothing to do with losing weight. actual studies (not articles as you've posted) indicate that green tea can increase metabolism slightly...but then an uptick of a handful of calories in basal metabolism gets blown out of proportion by articles and blogs and next thing you know you have some "super food"...when in reality you're talking about an uptick of a mere handful of calories.

You should understand that weight management is actual science...it's not magic and pixie dust. There are any number of products out that that purport all kinds of magical claims, the vast majority of which are completely unfounded.

You also need to understand that there's a difference between something providing you with some pretty awesome nutrition and being a magical weight loss aid silver bullet.

I've been drinking green tea most of my life...I still got fat.
  • kikijewell89
    Options
    Like I said several times before this ISNT my claim. Merely what I've read up on. My intentions for this post were already stated
  • kikijewell89
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I drink green tea just about every day. If it was so good at helping with weight loss, I wouldn't be here. I drink Salada. :) Sometimes Lipton.
    Is Lipton a healthy choice?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How in the heck can a tea brand be UNhealthy? It's dried leaves.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking green tea for @ 20 years, right through my weight gain and my weight loss. So it didn't make a difference for me. Honestly, the only thing I've ever bought that obviously helped my weight loss was a food scale.

Anyway, I get loose-leaf tea from Adagio. But I think green tea w/ mint is a great place to start. I've had mint green tea from just about every brand available and enjoyed it. Great iced too.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Green tea ice cream. Yes
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    for crying out loud
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    To me, green tea tastes like I decided to boil some grass and then drink that water. I have never liked a hot green tea. I did try Dragonwell as an iced green tea and I didn't hate it. This is not a brand, simply a type of green tea.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I too fell for the green tea=weight loss, and I hate the stuff. I was literally forcing myself to chug down a few cups a day :confounded:

This phase ended with 10 or so opened boxes of all sorts of green teas in my pantry, which all ended up in the bin eventually.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    It most definitely doesn't hurt to give green tea a try. This was not posted as a debate as to whether or not green tea WILL make you loose weight, it contains healthy properties, and if there are several doctors and Studies suggesting that it may help, than it certainly doesn't hurt to try. I may be new to MFP. But I'm pretty sure the goal is to motivate and encourage. Like I said it doesn't hurt to give it a TRY

As a counterpoint, I would say that the energy that we spend trying and doing things that are irrelevant to weight loss in an attempt to lose weight DO hurt us if that energy could better be used planning and executing activities that WILL help us meet our goals.

I say this as someone who tried a lot of these random tips and tricks over the years. If you like green tea, it certainly doesn't hurt to drink it. But if you wouldn't otherwise drink it, drinking it in the hopes you will lose weight isn't helpful. It's much better to use that planning, will power, and determination on the actions that we know will result in weight loss.

This... /thread
  • demelza123
    demelza123 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Tea is drunk around the world and has been for centuries, which also including green tea. You'll be pleased to know (as you probably do) there are many great health benefits to green tea. There are many flavours being added to green teas, but I'd recommend you stick with high grade plain green tea. If you go to your local health food store ... They'd be able to offer you a good selection. Regardless of peoples opinions above, what works for one doesn't always work for another. Give it a try & if the outcome isn't as favourable as you had hoped .... Just think of all the good stuff you've put into your body! Good luck & happy sipping! :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Dang, 8-10 cups a day? Lets not forget that green tea is a diuretic. If you drink that much tea I would hope you are taking in enough water to counter the diuretic effects, too.

I doubt the diuretic effect is stronger than the amount of water that's already in the tea.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    cdudley628 wrote: »
    To me, green tea tastes like I decided to boil some grass and then drink that water. I have never liked a hot green tea. I did try Dragonwell as an iced green tea and I didn't hate it. This is not a brand, simply a type of green tea.

Many people don't prepare it properly. It's a very fickle maiden that needs a lot of attention. If you let it steep even a few minutes too long it becomes bitter and disgusting.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yamamotoyama Sencha is nice.