MFP 1200 calories for 2 lb loss per week

Options
MFP set me up based on my sedentary lifestyle on a 1200 calorie diet which is supposed to help you lost 2 lbs per week. Has anyone lost 2 lbs per week using MFP of 1200 calories?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If your maintenance is 2200 calories it's possible. But since 1200 is the minimum MFP will give you, 2 pounds per week is probably going to be too aggressive for you.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I have actually lost that almost exactly. I am same as you, put my goal to lose 2 lbs a week, that was in the beginning of september. My food diary is viewable, so you will likely see that I ate like crap and way too much for some of the beginning of september, it's now the end of october and I have successfully lost 15.5 lbs. I am also set at sedentary. I like to keep it that way because, while I do work out, I don't want it artificially raising my allowed calories if I have a lazy day. I'm probably more like in the bottom of the lightly active scale, but sedentary setting has kept me right on track.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    Note also that I have felt awesome throughout the past two months. If there was any lethargy or anything, I would ABSOLUTELY raise my calorie count by changing my goal from 2 lbs/ week to 1.5, 1, .5 whatever to counteract that. There's absolutely no reason on earth for this process to be miserable if it doesn't have to be. You won't stick with it if it sucks
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah, when I was heavier and had a TDEE of 2200ish I was on 1200 calories for awhile. I managed a few weeks like that. I preferred 1400 and a slightly slower loss.
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I've been losing approximately 2lbs per week on 1200 calories per day.. But you do need to take into account how much weight you want to lose, your exercise level and your BMR. However if you are wanting to lose anything less than 30 pounds you should have a much less aggressive goal!
  • ICameToGetDown
    ICameToGetDown Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Depending on your starting weight, beginning at 1200 may be too low. I assume you eat more than that now. Maybe do 1700 a week or so, then 1500 until you get halfway to your goal, then drop to 1200.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    Yeah see I started in the obese category, so I had 65 lbs to lose for goal. Everyone is different. Set REASONABLE goals for yourself. Reasonable goals are both easier to obtain and can be much more fulfilling when you do!
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I lost 2 pounds per week eating 1350
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I started at 270 and am now at 195. I have lost an average of two pounds a week until recently. Now that I am lighter, I have been losing more like 1 to 1.5 per week. My goal is 150. I'm 5'8" and 52 years old. I work at a desk.

I try to exercise 3 to 5 times a week and have progressed from walking 10 miutes to jogging 5Ks and lifting weights.

• shyjaan
    shyjaan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies, appreciate the feedback!! :) I've got about another 45lbs to lose, I weigh 189.3 right now and lost 14.5 lbs so far since Sept 1. I'll try to play with the amount of calories I eat for the next few weeks and walk a little more! :)
  • blkandwhite77
    blkandwhite77 Posts: 281 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    3 weeks 6lbs lost (tomorrow is weigh in day for week 4) but so far yep 2lbs a week at 1200 calories for me
  • shyjaan
    shyjaan Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    3 weeks 6lbs lost (tomorrow is weigh in day for week 4) but so far yep 2lbs a week at 1200 calories for me

That's awesome!! :smile:
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited October 2015
    Options
    . Lol just kidding I thought this was a totally new post and then I realized
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    8.4 lbs at end of week 4 crossing fingers it keeps going well
  • MarlyIc1
    MarlyIc1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    1200 calories will do it but I don't like it. Today I'm resting and that's all I have to eat, I'm starving! I don't know how you do it, it hurts..
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options
    MarlyIc1 wrote: »
    1200 calories will do it but I don't like it. Today I'm resting and that's all I have to eat, I'm starving! I don't know how you do it, it hurts..

I find it totally comfortable, but I lead a pretty sedentary life, and I only work really part time (16hrs) so I don't have the added stresses of a full time job to weigh me down. Of course every person's caloric intake should match their ability to cope with the deficit. If it feels miserable you wouldn't stick with it!
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i cant stick to 1200 calories if i work out that day. Im just too hungry. Ive been kind of bad and havent lost any scale weight (but my inches are going down); but ive been lifting. When I was really sticking to the 1200 a day I was loosing 2 lbs a week.
  • Kideehabib
    Kideehabib Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So if I am 164 pounds amd want to get to 130 pounds I should have a target of less than 1200 cal per day?
  • blkandwhite77
    Options
    No you should never have a target of less than 1200. You at your weight will probably have a higher base rate of calories as you have less to lose. It will just take time. What is MFP telling you to have for daily calories based on your activity level and stats?
  • MarlyIc1
    MarlyIc1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    MarlyIc1 wrote: »

I find it totally comfortable, but I lead a pretty sedentary life, and I only work really part time (16hrs) so I don't have the added stresses of a full time job to weigh me down. Of course every person's caloric intake should match their ability to cope with the deficit. If it feels miserable you wouldn't stick with it!

True, everybody's different. Well I do cardio and lift weights 5 days per week, yesterday did 10km walk, today resting so I have to stick to 1200, maybe my body is hungry after that lol plus according to my details, I require 1400 cal to exsist, for bodily functions only, so not sure how healthy this 1200 calorie suggestion in my case is. Health is first.