Are there certin foods you just had to give up?

Options
Even if they reasonably can be kept in your diet?

I ask because I just had peanut butter for the first time in almost 5 months, now I feel like I've just started down a slippery slope, which is crazy because I've had worse things since I've been on this. The thing is though, I LOVE peanut butter, I LOVE it and I fear now it's going to make it's way back in and eat up a ton of calories for me.

It's the same with Mac & Cheese, I know I could have just a little bit and be fine but I fear if I have it once, that will be the end of my diet.

Are there things you gave up completely and other that you kept in your diet even though they might be just as bad as one another?

I can have a chip or I can have a piece of cake and not ruin a thing but for some reason I think if I have peanut butter or mac & cheese, I'm done.

Replies

• Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i had to give up my fave sub....lg cheese steak w/ peppers and onions, hots, s/p, w/xxxxxx mayo......oh how i long for that ALL THE TIME! Havent had one in 5 months!
  • ourgang
    ourgang Posts: 229
    Options
    BBQ chips!!!!! I will eat the entire bag :ohwell:
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything, I just work the things I love into my healthy diet. They more I denied myself, the more I would eat other things trying satisfy my cravings.
  • Yocum1219
    Yocum1219 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone. For me, it's soda. I know if I have another one, I'm done for, so I've not had any in over 3 mo, and I don't intend to. I can portion everything else out into small snacks or servings. If it's just one or two things, and you KNOW it's going to send you spiraling...best to hold off for a bit, til you feel stronger mentally for facing that challenge. Good luck! :o)
  • JayAlexander
    JayAlexander Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything, I just work the things I love into my healthy diet. They more I denied myself, the more I would eat other things trying satisfy my cravings.
  • oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    I had a bit of this experience earlier this week. I made a huge batch of pasta salad to keep in the fridge for lunches and I was going way out of control with it. I realised that pasta is a problem for me and that I need to make it one portion at a time rather than in a big batch. Otherwise, I'd quite happily stand at the fridge with a fork and work my way through the whole thing!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter is my downfall too. I know it's good for you in moderation but that's my problem. I love peanut butter so much. Last time I tried to buy a jar for snacks I ended up binging on it. I just can't keep it in the house.

Instead I keep a jar of unsalted peanuts for days when I havn't reached my calorie goal but i'm not that hungry.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Pasta and white rice. I just can never be content with one normal serving. I find that I almost always over do it when I have either of those foods...unless it is in something that is pre-measured like a frozen meal.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Fast food. All of it. Haven't has it in 2 1/2 months
  • booberj
    booberj Posts: 69
    Options
    Pizza.... it's one of those foods that I just love and eat it when I'm not hungry... so pizza is off limits... I'm fine with sweets, sodas, cracker, chips just not pizza... it sucks too
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    When I decided to go Primal, I gave up all man made carbs. That was tough. I'm know 80 / 20 to 90 /10. I'll still have a piece of warm wheat bread or a fiber one bar now and then but The cookies, pretzels, soda, gone gone gone
  • EricaSno28
    EricaSno28 Posts: 20
    Options
    I miss COOKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I used to love to buy the Chips Ahoy cookies Chocolate Chunk & crush them into a big tall glass of milk.....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm I may have to skip supper!!!! LOL Haven't had one in over 6 months!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I have not given up anything (except I gave up soda's many years ago-carbonation and I do not get along). But I do have to be careful not to have too much of certain things availabe. I know I will not succeed if I deny myself foods that I like. By the way, peanut butter is way healthy. Just don't spoon out half a jar at a sitting.
  • ajh2011
    ajh2011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have given up soda (primarily Coke Zero). I know that I could have it if I wanted but honestly I really don't want it anymore. I enjoy feeling good and water is all you really need. I have found that if I drink Coke Zero or any other sodas, it makes me want to eat more and I definitley don't want that.
  • MsScorpio67
    MsScorpio67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Cheetos are the Devil and there was no way I could eat them in moderation. I also gave up red meat, well I should be more specific. STEAK. My stomach couldn't tolerate it anymore and since, If it was my choice and it was, I used to eat steak almost every day, that's how much I loved that.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything, but there are A LOT of foods that I don't have anymore because they aren't even worth the calories. Even when I have cheat days, I'm not always craving a particular food, so... I think, for example, I've gone about 16 months without macaroni and cheese. :) Lol. I almost had some the other day off of a kids menu though... I think I might to do that next time I go out to eat with the family. It's been suuuuuch a long time.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Pizza is my thing I had to give up. I haven't had pizza in like two months now and going strong. Its worth it.
  • es0torok
    es0torok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Throw out any peanut butter you have in your house. Even if it's a full jar.
    Remember, this is all a test. A game of strategy. Talk to yourself. Literally hear the words in your head when you are slipping toward the peanut butter. Seriously! Say the words, hear the words "NO! You are not going to do this!" Say them harshly like you would to a child running into the street. Then walk away and redirect your focus.

I have problem.. BIG problems with chocolate. :sad:
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Starbucks. I KNOW I can make wiser choices there, but for some reason if I walk into or drive up to a Starbucks, I may be *thinking* Grande Skinny Caramel Macchiotto (140 cal), but what comes out of my mouth is Venti Iced White Mocha (460 calories). I have NO self control at Starbucks, so I have to just avoid it!
  • jamielr84
    jamielr84 Posts: 545
    Options
    Coke. I used to drink a disgusting amount and gave it up completely when I started here. I drank nothing but water, and the occasional milk in my cereal for about 4 months.......
    And then I found stupid diet coke! Didn't taste as nasty as I remembered since I had gotten used to nothing but water. Now I am trying to cut it out again because it is screwing up my water intake and it's just not good for you. I got too addicted to it! Now I am back to the wonderful headaches that come with giving it up......

And any kind of chocolate. If I eat just one of the little hersheys miniatures in my office, then I might as well mark down 10 in my food diary because I have yet to only eat one! So I try to just stay away from them.