Starvation mode

Options
I see a lot of comments along the lines of "that's not how starvation mode works". Could anyone explain how it actually does work?
Thanks!

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    katie1318 wrote: »
    I see a lot of comments along the lines of "that's not how starvation mode works". Could anyone explain how it actually does work?
    Thanks!

The "starvation mode" theory is that, as you lose weight, your body gets used to functioning on what calories you are giving it, therefore you stop losing and your reduction calorie target becomes your maintenance target. Basically, if you lose weight on 1200 calories, you body adapts to that 1200 calories and if you ever eat more than that you will gain weight.

It has been debunked.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Myth and magic - based on a real experiment where people really starved and that has no relevance to the average person
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    You ll not hit it until you are below 3 percent bodyfat. Good luck with that.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    katie1318 wrote: »
    Thanks!

There is some truth to the fact your body will metabolically adapt during periods of low calorie intake/starvation.

What is NOT true, is that it's such a drastic reduction that it will prevent weight loss (or as some will try to claim, that one would actually GAIN weight) while eating at a calorie deficit.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    When i think of starvation mode I think of losing muscle tone and yes over time not eatting enough will hurt your overall healthy. However you will lose weight anytime you burn more then you eat so the idea that you will stop losing wieght is false.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Your metabolic rate can definitely slow down during weight loss, but it will never slow to the point where it causes you to gain weight; in this sense, starvation mode is a myth.

http://examine.com/faq/how-do-i-stay-out-of-starvation-mode/