Why do people like DOMS?

Options
rybo
rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
You see this fairly often, and I've never understood it. I've workout out in some fashion nearly my entire life, and I have never enjoys DOMS. That was probably one of the least favorite things about working out.

Replies

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    People who enjoy it are just happy that they got something out of the workout. It isn't the pain they enjoy (well unless they really like pain, but generally that is a small percentage of people), it is the feeling that the workout was effective.

I don't enjoy DOMS, but if I felt like a muscle needed a workout and I get sore after, well I know I got it!
  • NicolaMichelle93
    NicolaMichelle93 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I enjoy DOMS :no_mouth: Maybe I'm just wierd!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm not too big on pain in general...I could do without the DOMs. Fortunately, keeping a regular workout schedule keeps those DOMs at bay...I'm often a little sore, but not full on DOMs...though I have been out of the gym now for a couple of weeks due to life happening...I hit it tonight, and I'm sure I'm going to have some nasty DOMs come tomorrow and Friday...I'm certainly not looking forward to that part.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Hate DOMS... I do not need to have DOMS to feel like I worked out...
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Dumb question? What is DOMS?
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    vada44 wrote: »
    Dumb question? What is DOMS?

Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. So basicly it's why you are after a workout and sometimes up to several days later!
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I basically see DOMS as a price to pay at times. I don't always get it, but when I do I pop a couple of IBUProfen and drink lots of water to help it go away as quickly as possible.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Hate DOMS... I do not need to have DOMS to feel like I worked out...

^^ +1
    Thankfully, I've been doing this long enough that I rarely get it anymore. My husband just started a new lifting program and he's walking around like a 90 year old today. I don't get the sense that he's enjoying it at all, though I am enjoying sending him teasing texts; cause that's what loving wives do.

twzy1l9u512g.jpg
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    fannyfrost wrote: »
    People who enjoy it are just happy that they got something out of the workout. It isn't the pain they enjoy (well unless they really like pain, but generally that is a small percentage of people), it is the feeling that the workout was effective.

I don't enjoy DOMS, but if I felt like a muscle needed a workout and I get sore after, well I know I got it!

This exactly for me. Particularly for those of us who've worked out regularly for years. When I do get any kind of muscle soreness it tells me I've targeted an area I must've been neglecting, so I see it as a good thing. Not the pain itself, but the accomplishment.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I'm weird, I actually enjoy the pain. For me it's a reminder that I did something good for myself.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I like feeling like I did something. Soreness is one thing, DOMS is another. When I have it, I'm happy that I did a tough new workout but it's not something I strive for.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I don't "enjoy" it but when I get it, I know that I have worked hard
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Based on what I see; I would speculate that unfortunately people think being sore all the time is a sign of progress in the gym or is somehow good.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I like mild DOMS. I remember the first time I ever squatted at the gym. I considered fitting my toilet with suspension given my ability to lower myself with any reasonable degree of control for several days afterwards....
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I hate DOMS. If I take a break from lifting I get hit hard like 36 hours later. I'll be sore immediately after and the next day, but it kicks into overdrive ~36 hours in. It is a good reason for me not to take the week off.

With that said, I don't dread it so much that I'll refuse to lift. I just moan and cry to everyone within ear shot for a while :smiley:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Because some people think they only got a good workout if they're sore. I generally only get them if I'm starting a new program, or haven't worked out in awhile.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either. I only get DOMS if I take a break from lifting. Once I get back into my routine, no more DOMS. DOMS aren't a sign that your workouts are more effective than if you don't get them, imo.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Because some people think they only got a good workout if they're sore. I generally only get them if I'm starting a new program, or haven't worked out in awhile.

Agreed.

I only get them if I've lifted heavier the day before, done something new (first and only boxercise class KILLED me) or run much further/faster than usual.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If you've been training for a while I think it's important to look at what you did in the prior day, or sometimes current day, to cause this soreness. For example, last week I started a new macro-cycle and I decided to add Romanian Deadlifts for moderate volume; I did not do these in my prior macro-cycle. The upper part of my hamstring complex and lower part of my glutes were mildly sore the next day. I was a little confused at first but realized that it was my first training session including RDL's and that was the most likely explanation for why I was a little sore. If I experience this same soreness in 3 or 4 weeks I'm going to wonder WTF I'm doing wrong.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I liked the DOMS that I often had in my first few months of strength training. It wasn't painful, just sore, and it felt good in the same kind of way it feels good when you are absolutely exhausted after a hard workout but feel a sense of satisfaction along with the fatigue.