Do you think skipping Breakfast is really all that bad?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I can say with 100% certainty that it is not bad for me. I've been skipping it for most of my adult life with no health problem.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I like eating breakfast within 1.5 hours of waking up because I eat light dinners and don't snack after(I get severe heartburn if I lie down soon after eating or eat a very heavy dinner). But the nights that I do eat a huge dinner, I don't need to eat until 11 AM or so the next morning. Both type of days are fine and don't make much of a difference to the way I've lost weight.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I must admit I'm the same as you! I struggle to eat breakfast before 10.30am. I have a busy morning and don't feel ready to sit down and eat a breakfast until midmorning! The trouble is it pushes everything back! Lunch is around 2.30/3pm and then I'm eating my main meal 6/7pm.

I saw a dietician yesterday and one of the things she said was that I should eat more in the day and less at night (especially less carbohydrate). She said that I was eating most of my calories in the evening and then not burning them off! She recommended having a snack midmorning - I'm only having my breakfast then!!

Hope this helps!

Wow. Wow. This woman gets PAID for this kind of advice??!

OP, I rarely eat breakfast these days and it hasn't hindered weight loss. If anything, eating breakfast just makes me hungrier later in the day. So if that's my metabolism getting kick-started in the morning you can keep it. Eat when you're hungry, like a normal person.
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I know lots of healthy people that are not breakfast eaters. Personal preference, and it doesn't seem to impact them negatively at all. That said, if I don't eat something by 10am, heads will roll.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a 1500cal breakfast, today I had an 81cal breakfast.
    Not dead yet.....
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Yesterday I had a 1500cal breakfast, today I had an 81cal breakfast.
    Not dead yet.....

yet.... ;)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything but coffee in the morning. Sometimes a cup of tea mid-morning. Never been a big breakfast eater and when I started forcing myself to eat in the morning because I kept being hammered by my mother and friends with how important it is, that's when I started gaining weight faster. I find if I do eat breakfast, my appetite takes on a life of it's own for the rest of the day.

I do eat it sometimes on the weekends. It's usually big and consists of bacon and pancakes. :)
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I don't have anything but coffee in the morning. Sometimes a cup of tea mid-morning. Never been a big breakfast eater and when I started forcing myself to eat in the morning because I kept being hammered by my mother and friends with how important it is, that's when I started gaining weight faster. I find if I do eat breakfast, my appetite takes on a life of it's own for the rest of the day.

I do eat it sometimes on the weekends. It's usually big and consists of bacon and pancakes. :)

YUP! Me too... coffee with milk and sugar when I get up, sometimes small morning snack, early lunch, late afternoon snack, large supper.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I get up at 6am, and drink coffee and water until whenever I get hungry, usually between 12 and 1:30. then I eat my lunch, usually chips and a sandwich (I pack cereal every single day) and then if I get hungry before I get off work (6pm) I eat my cereal. I eat it about half the time. then I go home and eat dinner. If i didn't eat my cereal I get a snack, i'm not going to eat calories just to eat them, so If I am hungry..I do, if I am not, then I don't. wasted calories are for candy.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I think people have to do what works best for them. For me, I can't skip breakfast, because if I do, the next meal goes straight through me. Sorry for the TMI. But even if it didn't, I do love eating breakfast.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I get up Mon - Fri at 4:30 am and have coffee. I'm at work by 6:30 am and have either coffee, tea, or water. I usually will eat something starting at 10 am and sometimes even wait until around 11:30 am. I like it because it enables me to eat a larger dinner after working all day. :)
  • jenathp
    jenathp Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I found that when I would eat a breakfast that had carbs in it that I was hungry by mid-morning. However, when I protein load my breakfast (even if it's around 10:30am) then I'm not hungry for at least 4 hours. I used to think that if I ate breakfast my hunger would go out of control for the day but I found it's not only WHEN you eat but WHAT you eat that is important in hunger management. If you're not hungry, though, don't eat. What I found was that when I didn't eat breakfast I was eating a larger lunch than I would normally....Ultimately CICO is true and you should do what works for you. I have found that experimenting has helped a lot in understanding my hunger management.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    It is personal preference in my opinion. I am up at 6:15 every morning and don't eat until 9 or 10 AM depending on the day. It works for me because I find that I don't get as hungry in the afternoons this way. If I started eating when I got up, I would be eating all day long.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I only eat breakfast on the weekends, but even that is more like a workday "lunch" time (9-1). Guess I only eat brunch on the weekends.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I think it's only bad if you are hungry. If you aren't a "breakfast" person, there's nothing wrong with that at all.
    I read a study not long ago, can't remember where so no link, but it discredited a lot of the myths behind 'needing a solid breakfast' for those who weren't inclined to be hungry in the AM.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    meal timing does not matter.

hit your micor/macro/calorie targets and you will be good to go...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I must admit I'm the same as you! I struggle to eat breakfast before 10.30am. I have a busy morning and don't feel ready to sit down and eat a breakfast until midmorning! The trouble is it pushes everything back! Lunch is around 2.30/3pm and then I'm eating my main meal 6/7pm.

I saw a dietician yesterday and one of the things she said was that I should eat more in the day and less at night (especially less carbohydrate). She said that I was eating most of my calories in the evening and then not burning them off! She recommended having a snack midmorning - I'm only having my breakfast then!!

Hope this helps!

fire the person giving you this advice, seriously.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    RIP gainz.

I'm joking; it is demonstrably fine. Don't be so pavid - have courage to cast aside your porridge and hasten towards a better tomorrow.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I'm on a fasting diet and only eat from about 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 pm. Ive lost 21 lbs in seven weeks (6' 1" male, sw 250, cw 229).

I used to try to eat big breakfasts with lots of protein so I wouldnt crave junk later. My normal routine was break, lunch (always still hungry after unless eat very large amounts), junk snacks in afternoon to keep me going, feel bad at end of day, try to workout, feel bad into evening, dinner, snack, bed.

I like to eat tell full and once I start eating, I want to keep eating or I get really hungry. With fasting, I dont get that hungry.

My energy level is good now, I dont have afternoon crashes, I dont eat aftenoon junk, I exercise after work with lots of energy, and feel good into the evenings. In the evenings, I eat tell I'm full, which is what I like to do, and consume about 1800 to 2400 calories (I take vtamins and protein supps). This has been way easier for me than spreading the calories out and eating small meals and never getting full or satisfied. I dont limit any food types and will have some junk treats after dinner.

So, I now think it is fine to skip breakfast AND lunch.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I have breakfast 95% of the time, but it really makes no difference despite the "must do" label. DO what helps you eat less.