Help needed - foot pain

Options
Hi,

I've recently started running a lot more than I was and I keep getting a pain in the top of my foot. This can happen at any time, during any day even when I haven't been running. It's hard to describe the pain but it's on the very top of my right foot and hurts when I put pressure on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    It hurts when you push on a particular spot? Is it always the same spot? Is it small and over one of the metatarsals? Is it pretty consistent? That could be a stress fracture or its precursor, a stress reaction.

Extensor tendinitis is also pain on the top of the foot, but for me it shifts around *where* on my foot it hurts, and pushing down gently doesn't make it worse.

This is definitely something you want to see your doctor about.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Check your laces to make sure they're not too tight. Your foot swells when you run and you can irritate the tendons in the top of your foot if the laces are too tight. Mine was so bad once I limped for a week. I started keeping the laces loose and haven't had that issue since.

When you lace your shoes try and find a position that puts the most tension on the laces and tie it loosely there.

Of course you could just be increasing your weekly distance too much at a time. Back off the running a bit and see if that helps. That's always a good idea. Also, don't continue running if it hurts while you run. Stop and let it heal.

ETA: I generally only tie my shoes once a week. I keep them lose enough to take them off and on without touching the laces.
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    better yet, see a podiatrist.

Just a case in point, I have a morton's neuroma (the nerve between the metatarsals built up scar tissue that squishes every time I step - shooting pain and inability to walk if there is too much pressure).

The GP didn't know what was going on, but prescribed pain killers. Was a complete waste of time.

The podiatrist identified the problem, gave me a temporary insole, made a proper long-term insole, recommended shoes and exercises... and was altogether useful.
  • harryrarabrown
    harryrarabrown Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Will be contacting a local podiatrist as it doesn't seem to want to go away