Options
2»

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Kideehabib wrote: »
    So if I am 164 pounds amd want to get to 130 pounds I should have a target of less than 1200 cal per day?

No. 1200 is the minimum for safe/healthy weight loss. Going below that you risk malnutrition which brings a lot of unpleasant side effects.
    Set MFP to lose 1 to 1.5 lbs per week and eat to the calorie goal it gives you + 50% of exercise calories (adjust up or down as needed after about 4 weeks).
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    MarlyIc1 wrote: »
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    MarlyIc1 wrote: »
    1200 calories will do it but I don't like it. Today I'm resting and that's all I have to eat, I'm starving! I don't know how you do it, it hurts..

I find it totally comfortable, but I lead a pretty sedentary life, and I only work really part time (16hrs) so I don't have the added stresses of a full time job to weigh me down. Of course every person's caloric intake should match their ability to cope with the deficit. If it feels miserable you wouldn't stick with it!

True, everybody's different. Well I do cardio and lift weights 5 days per week, yesterday did 10km walk, today resting so I have to stick to 1200, maybe my body is hungry after that lol plus according to my details, I require 1400 cal to exsist, for bodily functions only, so not sure how healthy this 1200 calorie suggestion in my case is. Health is first.

Oh for sure. I only do 1200 because A. I remain totally comfortable and feeling good while eating that B. I'm only 5'2" and my frame size is Small. Clearly someone taller than me with a medium or large frame at the same weight needs more. Age, activity level, size, weight goals, all these things come into account. And to say 1200 works for everyone would be patently absurd. Even someone my EXACT weight, frame size, activity level, age, and weight might not be able to do 1200 a day for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that there is no human on earth with the exact same hormonal makeup or insulin levels or any of that stuff identical to me. It's sort of like sleep that way. Some people absolutely must get 9 hours a night to function like a normal human, others feel awful sleeping that much and only do 6 cause otherwise they feel weird. The recommendation of 8 is a good place to start, not the end all be all, just like 1200 in this analogy is the 6 hr.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Kideehabib wrote: »
    So if I am 164 pounds amd want to get to 130 pounds I should have a target of less than 1200 cal per day?

Ermagerd no. No, no no.

You have to get your measurement based on your own individual numbers. Caloric deficit must eb calculated to the individual, never just a number you hear. For all anyone knows, you could need 1600 just to keep your organs running. Either use the MFP calculation or go get your RMR, BMR/TDEE to make yourself a safe deficit. 1200 is the lowest. It's only good for a small portion of the MFP population, and even then only for a while in most cases. If you need info on how to get these, check out the getting started must reads or PM me and I'll throw you some great links.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    1 1/2 to 2lbs a week when you still want to lose 45lbs is fine...when you reach the 20lb to go you could then set your deficit to lose 1 1/2lb per week - but if you're managing the 1200 still thats different, eat back some (around 50%) of your exercise calories as well, fuel your body and it will reward you with more energy :smile:

Just so you know I'm 5ft 2" and am maintaining my goal weight eating 2100-2300 cals. So you wont always have to eat so low. When I was in weight loss mode I was happy to lose 1/2lb a week and eat 1600 cals + exercise cals. Everyone has to do whats right for them :smile:
  • Rockin2014
    Rockin2014 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The first 12 weeks approx. I lost 2lbs per week while eating 1500 cals. I'm still eating in that range but losing a bit slower. Have lost 50lbs since start of March.