Seriously wanting to give up

Options
I have PCOS (Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome), insulin resistance, hypothyroidism, and all of the CRAP that comes with those issues. Weight being the biggest and most frustrating issue that I deal with all day every day but I have also been trying to get pregnant for 6 years now. I have been using MFP since 2011 and have lost about 40lbs. I had a breast reduction and tummy tuck last year to celebrate my success.

Lately I am just so frustrated and overwhelmed with my weight issues. It literally consumes my life. I can not just eat like a normal person. I have to think about food and exercise constantly because if I don't then I wake up one day and I've gained a few pounds. Everything I eat turns directly into sugar. I have tried stopping all of the drugs and just strictly eating clean. Now I am back on the drugs and I am just so tried of this weight struggle. I am only 30 years old and it shouldn't be this hard to even maintain my weight not to mention lose weight. I just feel like I never get a mental break from having to look at food labels, track calories, convince myself to work out, and weigh myself. Then I have anxiety if I have gained a few pounds because I know how hard it is for me to lose it again and the cycle continues.

I am mostly just ranting and having a pitty party at this point so if you have any encouragement, advice, or constructive criticisms feel free....

Replies

• ElPasoMark
    ElPasoMark Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Don't. Don't give up & quit. It's tough, some days are like that. But you can do it. Push through it and stick with it. Stay strong.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    No, it shouldn't be that hard. I'm sorry you are struggling. Try to make it as easy as possible. Plan your meals for the day, log them, and stick to it. Don't think about it, just eat what's on your "menu". Plan for a week at a time if you can. Yeah, you may need to eat the same meals often that way, but it can simplify the process.

Lots of ladies here seem to struggle with PCOS, so maybe you can find a support group or they will connect with you here for additional guidance.

Whatever you do, DON'T give up, just like @ElPasoMark said. Working out is for fitness and can help with energy levels but is not necessary for weight loss. Eating "like a normal person" is deceiving. Most people have to think about what they eat and how much. It just appears to us like they can eat whatever they want and not worry, but that's certainly not the case. Good luck and keep logging and posting!
  • Chefbaby
    Chefbaby Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You face challenges that many never imagined could exist. And every day you sift through the nearly overwhelming list of do's and don't's, carefully planning and preparing yourself for what is just a simple day for other people. But it's never simple for you - everything you do requires a huge amount of effort and one little slip up causes you days of hard-earned progress. Because the things that seem so little to others are so exceedingly complicated, it's easy to get caught up in the daily battle. To get self-absorbed and start to feel like giving up. But facing these challenges gives you something that no amount of money or any textbook education can provide: experience. And having these experiences, this knowledge, gives you a unique ability to directly help fellow survivors in similar situations. There are others out there just like you. Struggling, feeling overburdened, and generally alone in their battle. Because you are a part of this fight, you are one of the few people who can actually help them keep their focus and find inclusion with someone who can empathise. You've developed a system - a means by which you are coping. Maybe it's not perfect, but it's leaps and bounds above giving up, and that's what other people need to know - that they don't have to give up either. That their effort is worth it. Channel your energy - your frustration - into something good: helping others. There's no better remedy. You'll find purpose, personal reward, and satisfaction in your journey, even on the tough days. All the best to you.
  • AmandaAnne307
    AmandaAnne307 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    There is a group on here for women with PCOS - it's a really hard road. I've been struggling as well, but find (and a lot of PCOS women do as well) that when I eat low card I do MUCH better. You can do this - good luck!
  • AmandaAnne307
    AmandaAnne307 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to the group is you are interested :smile:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis
  • celestemedrano1224
    Options
    It's tough, but stay strong! You can do this. It is a lifestyle change. Instead of looking at it as something you HAVE to do, look at it as extending your life, making a healthier life. Do it for yourself and no one else. Change is difficult for everyone, and you will not be perfect but It's okay. Just don't give up. I'm only in day 3, but if you need someone to talk to I'm here. Yesterday was my bad day, I almost cheated and almost gave up. I didn't and I'm proud that I did not throw in the towel. Today I messed up and consumed too many carbs. I don't know what happened but it did. It's okay though, it's new and mistakes happen. As long as I don't mess up regularly it shouldn't be a problem.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Instead of looking at it as something you HAVE to do, look at it as extending your life, making a healthier life.
    This is a really great train of thought.

Personally, I don't know anyone who is in good shape (I don't mean "skinny", I mean healthy) that doesn't make constant choices to be that way; the only real difference is that they've had a handle on it for years already, so it looks easy from my point of view but it's only because they are much deeper into the routine then I have ever gotten so to them it's just second nature now.

I have PCOS, I also have Ankylosing Spondilitis and Rheumatoid Arthritis so I really do understand the extra hurdles just to keep up but take it from someone who has thrown in the towel many, MANY times, giving up now just means you get to have more regret and likely more weight to lose later. And then you'll feel even worse beating yourself up over that too.

My grand-dad used to have a mug that said, "When you get to the very end of your rope... tie a big ol' knot and hang on!"
    Listen to my grand-dad's mug.

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Most of my friends are overweight. Some are morbidly obese. Every day each one of us gets to choose to exercise and eat appropriate portions of healthy and nutritious foods, or to not exercise and to eat whatever we feel like. Most of us have done the latter, and are on here learning how others have found ways to stay committed to choosing health over cravings. It's hard for everyone of us. Hang in there and don't give up because you have diseases that make it even harder. Others with various illnesses have found ways to exercise and lose weight. Use their experiences to help you.
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Chefbaby wrote: »
    You face challenges that many never imagined could exist. And every day you sift through the nearly overwhelming list of do's and don't's, carefully planning and preparing yourself for what is just a simple day for other people. But it's never simple for you - everything you do requires a huge amount of effort and one little slip up causes you days of hard-earned progress. Because the things that seem so little to others are so exceedingly complicated, it's easy to get caught up in the daily battle. To get self-absorbed and start to feel like giving up. But facing these challenges gives you something that no amount of money or any textbook education can provide: experience. And having these experiences, this knowledge, gives you a unique ability to directly help fellow survivors in similar situations. There are others out there just like you. Struggling, feeling overburdened, and generally alone in their battle. Because you are a part of this fight, you are one of the few people who can actually help them keep their focus and find inclusion with someone who can empathise. You've developed a system - a means by which you are coping. Maybe it's not perfect, but it's leaps and bounds above giving up, and that's what other people need to know - that they don't have to give up either. That their effort is worth it. Channel your energy - your frustration - into something good: helping others. There's no better remedy. You'll find purpose, personal reward, and satisfaction in your journey, even on the tough days. All the best to you.

Wow. These responses are overwhelming to me right now and brought tears to my eyes. Thank you ALL for taking time out of your busy day and life to encourage a stranger. It really has lifted my spirits. The battle is in my head and I just need to work on getting my thoughts under control.
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Lovdiamnd wrote: »
    Wow. These responses are overwhelming to me right now and brought tears to my eyes. Thank you ALL for taking time out of your busy day and life to encourage a stranger. It really has lifted my spirits. The battle is in my head and I just need to work on getting my thoughts under control.

Just acknowledging that the real battle is one only you can fight is the halfway mark to victory.
    You can do this :)

• Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I have a very good friend with PCOS and was at one point dx'd with insulin resistance and showed abnormal thyroid levels. She has voiced the same frustrations in the past. Feeling overwhelmed, and having seen drastic weight shifts (+60#).

About 3 years ago she changed her eating habits to strictly meats, vegetables, and fruit (sparingly). She scaled everything for at least the first 18 months. She walks daily. She lost 120#. She has kept it off. The insulin resistance is gone. Her thyroid numbers did improve.

Everyone who desires weight loss experiences struggles with finding their path to success. Your path to success is going to be more difficult with the PCOS and the thyroid issues. You do have to put in more effort because of your health conditions, and there is going to be those moments where you feel overwhelmed. You can succeed though! You can achieve your health goals! I hope by sharing my friend's success with you it helps show you your goals are attainable.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Well, I clearly don't have PCOS, but I also am someone who definitely plans to keep a strict watch on calories and exercise for his lifetime. I've proven very dramatically that I can't naturally regulate my food intake and be successful. What helps me:

1. I always remember and think about my "why". I have goals in life that are simply incompatible with morbid obesity. I enjoy many outdoor activities and I need to be fit enough to do them. That's also why I exercise. I don't do it to burn calories, I do it to build and preserve muscle, to keep my heart healthy, etc. so I can accomplish the goals I want.

2. I plan in advance, so when I am preparing food, I just follow my logs as though they were a recipe. Rather than logging the weight of the food, I weight out the amount of food I already logged. Yes, sometimes I have to adjust my logs if they are significantly off, but most of the time I just get close (and try to be a little under on average). The only calories I log on the day I consume them are the approx. 200 calories I leave for a snack.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    With all that you are going to have a harder time losing. Look at your macro's particularly carbs - the diseases you outlined respond well to lower carb focus. Also, you'll likely need to be more active than most.

These two changes seem to provide better results ... various discussions here have touched on that.

Good luck.
  • marina5rodr
    marina5rodr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Stay positive and you can achieve anything!!!