Is this fiber "cheating"?

Options
Emily3907
Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
So, I take Miralax about 4-5 times a week. No, I am not addicted to laxatives or anything. This has all been approved by a doctor for medical reasons.

My question is when I add it to my daily log, I get 17g of fiber added to my diary. Obviously this gets me pretty close or over my fiber goal for the day. Without the Miralax, I get about 11-15g of fiber in a day. Does the Miralax really count or is the fiber "supposed" to be from food only? I know it sounds silly but, it just feels like I am cheating on those numbers for some reason.

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    So many of my friends take laxatives almost daily, and I had no idea until recently. If they don't take them, they won't crap for days! I go every day without a laxative! Even though our doctors may prescribe us things, this doesn't mean our body isn't now dependent on them. I am in no way hating on you, as I have had to use some medications for years myself. But, your body probably depends on the laxatives to get things moving. catscats222 has a good idea regarding adding some higher fiber foods to your diet and see if you can get things moving though foods.
  • Emily3907
    Options
    Ultimately, the goal is to wean off the Miralax at some point. However, I just am not quite there yet. Last year I had to have 3 separate surgeries due to colon/intestinal complications (won't go into detail, TMI). So, stopping now would probably do more harm than good.

I am just curious if it really "counts" towards my fiber goals or if I should just not log it?
  • janiep81
    janiep81 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I don't see how its any different than a protein powder. I say it counts and its not cheating.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure how it would be cheating...people supplement for deficiencies all of the time.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Where did you get that fiber information from? I was under the impression that Miralax was a chemical laxative, not fiber. As a matter of fact, the information sheet on Miralax compares it to fiber as a different method of loosening stools.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You should count it.
  • Emily3907
    Options
    Where did you get that fiber information from? I was under the impression that Miralax was a chemical laxative, not fiber. As a matter of fact, the information sheet on Miralax compares it to fiber as a different method of loosening stools.

I scanned the barcode on the bottle and it came up as 17g dietary fiber.
  • Emily3907
    Options
    janiep81 wrote: »
    I don't see how its any different than a protein powder. I say it counts and its not cheating.

I hadn't really thought of it that way.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »

It may be a bizarre user entered detail, although it is also claimed elsewhere, it seems difficult to verify. If it were me, I would do more research. If there is fiber, it must be soluble.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    For the life of me, I cannot find a nutritional label for this stuff. I can find it on every laxative known to man but cannot find any label except osmotic (or however you spell it) laxative...

I am going to keep looking for it.. I would not trust the one in MFP..

I can't find confirmation on number of calories, and if 17 grams of fiber is the only thing this has in it (such as vitamins...)

0 calories and 17 grams of fiber that helps you "go", I say no cheating here. its necessaity.. :):)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

It may be a bizarre user entered detail, although it is also claimed elsewhere, it seems difficult to verify. If it were me, I would do more research. If there is fiber, it must be soluble.

I came up with this: "The active ingredient in Miralax is polyethylene glycol 3350, or PEG, an osmotic laxative. It draws water into the bowel and produces a watery rather than a formed bowel movement." Seems that Miralax is not a fiber (bulking) laxative, so it shouldn't have any fiber?
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Email the company and ask them, that's the only way you will know for sure. I do it all the time to double check foods that don't have labels like sandwiches from gas stations, side dishes from grocery store delis, etc.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

I came up with this: "The active ingredient in Miralax is polyethylene glycol 3350, or PEG, an osmotic laxative. It draws water into the bowel and produces a watery rather than a formed bowel movement." Seems that Miralax is not a fiber (bulking) laxative, so it shouldn't have any fiber?

this makes sense to me.. hense no nutritional information needed.. it is like taking tylenol for a headache..
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Even if every single response told you it was cheating, you should,still do what your doctor tells you.

If you have questions about how much fiber you should eat, ask the doctor.

FWIW, I don't think it's cheating.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Provided you drink enough liquid, and your doctor approves of this method, it's not cheating. It's just supplementing to counteract an issue. Do your thing and let your doctor guide you. If you have doubts about their advice, consult another doctor as they will be the only ones qualified to advise you against your doctors orders.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Even if every single response told you it was cheating, you should,still do what your doctor tells you.

I don't think she's asking whether she should do what her doctor tells her. I think she's asking whether she needs to worry about being under the fiber goal.

My suspicion is that the fiber number for Miralex in that entry is wrong anyway, and that she should ask her doctor what her fiber goal is and how significant it is.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It is NOT fiber, ignore that and take it like any other medication. I don't think it would be necessary if you get your fiber intake (and water intake) into recommended range, but everyone is different. It is a chemical pure and simple and I would not want to be on it if there were an alternative...
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I take Miralax most days (doctor recommended). The bottle says that the 17 grams you are referring to is the actual polyethylene glycol, which is not fiber, it is a chemical known as an osmotic laxative, as stated above. I have taken Metamucil a lot in the past, which is fiber, could you be confusing the two?

So, no, I don't count the Miralax as fiber. I get a lot of my fiber from Fiber One Original cereal, and I drink at least 64 ounces of water a day. Even with that, if I don't take the Miralax, my IBS-Alternating causes total constipation, without rhyme or reason, which has also landed me in the hospital a few times too. One of those times was after taking Metamucil every day when I was constipated - the Metamucil ended up being the cause of a complete intestinal blockage.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this, it's not a fun way to live.
  • Emily3907
    edited October 2015
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    I take Miralax most days (doctor recommended). The bottle says that the 17 grams you are referring to is the actual polyethylene glycol, which is not fiber, it is a chemical known as an osmotic laxative, as stated above. I have taken Metamucil a lot in the past, which is fiber, could you be confusing the two?

So, no, I don't count the Miralax as fiber. I get a lot of my fiber from Fiber One Original cereal, and I drink at least 64 ounces of water a day. Even with that, if I don't take the Miralax, my IBS-Alternating causes total constipation, without rhyme or reason, which has also landed me in the hospital a few times too. One of those times was after taking Metamucil every day when I was constipated - the Metamucil ended up being the cause of a complete intestinal blockage.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this, it's not a fun way to live.

Thank you! Your issues are similar to mine. While not *technically* diagnosed with IBS, I have had some serious complications. After my surgeries, my doctor wanted me to start the Miralax for a period of time in order to give my body the proper time to heal completely without having the added stress of constipation. Like I said above, the goal is for this to be temporary and wean off.

Thanks everyone! I think I will continue following my doc's recomendations and just stop logging it. It doesn't seem to be very accurate anyways and I can work on building up my fiber intake through foods. I have a message in with my doc to confirm all of this is okay.

One thing this has taught me, is to be more careful with labels! :#