Are there certin foods you just had to give up?

Options

Replies

• kaswain
    kaswain Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Starbucks. I KNOW I can make wiser choices there, but for some reason if I walk into or drive up to a Starbucks, I may be *thinking* Grande Skinny Caramel Macchiotto (140 cal), but what comes out of my mouth is Venti Iced White Mocha (460 calories). I have NO self control at Starbucks, so I have to just avoid it!

I had the same problem with Starbucks so i gave it up for a couple months, then when i started going back it was under the premise that i could ONLY have a skinny carmel machiatto or skinny vanilla latte. Then a few weeks ago i decided to treat myself to a Venti White Mocha and not only did it taste too sweet and horrible but i felt sick for days afterwards. I proved to myself that you can convince your taste buds to change and evolve. Now im perfectly happy with these much lower calorie treats :)
  • snowsflake
    snowsflake Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I started off with splurge meals. That would allow me one meal to eat anything and everything that I wanted to eat! All other meals were healthy meals and so when I would eat my splurge meal I felt like crap! I will allow myself to eat anything; however, over time I have stopped eating certain foods because of the way they make me feel. Like burgers and fries, pizza, greasy fried foods, so they just kind of worked their way out of my diet. I hate feeling all bloated and stuff after I eat, so they had to go.

But I will say this when I want to eat a burger or pizza I am very particular about where I will eat it from and what kind I will eat. I have not had a beef hamburger in I can't even tell you how long. Now I eat turkey burgers or veggie burgers. Also, if I'm eating pizza it has to be from a place that uses fresh ingredients and the quality is really good. I have not had fast food in over a year and a half. I think it is so gross and the thought of eating a fast food burger makes we want to barf! That's just me...I still think about it sometimes but then I remember how I used to feel after I ate them and I just choose not to eat them. Also, after watching "You Are What You Eat" I started to think twice about what I was eating. :flowerforyou:
  • matchpek
    matchpek Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have found that I can't "deny" myself anything. If I think that i can never have a certain food again - I will go crazy and end up cheating and giving up on the whole thing. Since I've been on here - I've learned to take things slow. Even though I want instant gratification and I want to see instant results - I'm learning that slow and steady wins the race. And during this slow and steady race - I may give into a craving now and then - but the important thing is to not let it stop me from starting back again afterwards. Another trick I found - one day I was craving chocolate SOOO BAD..... I had previously put some candy bars in the freezer for my kids. I got out the JUMBO Kit Kat and said in my head - screw it - I'm eating it. But instead, I got it out and sat it on the table next to the couch. I started watching tv and drank water. I waited until the craving passed - and guess what??? It actually did!!!! I never touched the candy bar. I was actually amazed. :bigsmile:
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I gave up aspartame about ten weeks into my diet so that entailed giving up the diet coke. Sigh. I still miss it but I know if I had one I'd be straight back on it. I swear it's worse than giving up cigarettes! That, for me at least, wasn't too tough. The diet coke, jeez! Otherwise, I'd say chicken wings - I LOVE dominos chicken wings but I can't let myself have some because it would be the beginning of the end for me. Otherwise, I just eat the bad things in moderation - I have a cheat meal once a week which really helps...I often have a chocolate bar on a Saturday and I'm not worried about that as although I like chocolate I could give it up totally if needs be. As long as it's not harming my diet though - I do enjoy a Snickers!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Anything containing gluten, which, as you may have figured out, is in a whole lotta stuff.

I have an eagle eye for food labels, let me tell ya.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I've attempted to cut down on pastas and breads. For example, I love having a cheeseburger (foreman grilled) pre or post workout and I switched from using a bun to using two green leaf lettuce leaves. I like this even more as I taste everything else and it's about 2/3 the calories.
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I really don't believe you have to give Up on any foods you love..just be careful and don't go crazy!!!

This is a lifestyle and sensible eating dosn't mean you have to deny yourself food that gives you pleasure :-)

Amen to that! :)

I love, love LOVE peanut butter. I now buy freshly ground almond butter at Winco, it's still pretty dense in calories (190 for 2 tbls) but I'm not getting all the extra sugar and whatnot that they put into Jif/Peter Pan. Now I don't even like regular Jif/Peter Pan! I do make sure that I portion it out in my lunch that I bring to work and I pair it with an apple.

I just make sure i allow for the calories and enjoy!

I have heard about the PB2, but I'm not sure if I would like it, so i've been kinda scared to get it for fear I won't like it. LOL What a baby!

I have given up my diet coke, it was making me feel bloated and yucky! Other than that I've been finding healthier ways of making things....like substituting applesauce or FF greek yogurt for brownies/cakes, etc....
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    Oh right... for me it's cheesy crackers. Cheese-its, nips, goldfish....holy cow I luuurve them

Yeah, I love the hot and spicy cheez-its and the cheez-it party mix. I have a box in the pantry now and I have only touched it once. I think if I portioned it all out at once I would be fine, but if I don't I dig into the box. Oh, and I gave up all fast food and soda and gas station type candy bars and Little Debbies.
  • imfittted
    imfittted Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I haven't actually given up anything completely, but one of my biggest problems is I love to heat up a big plate of tortilla chips and shredded cheese in the microwave... soo good. But if I don't buy the chips I cannot do that late at night. I would suggest for you to buy low fat peanut butter or something like that, it might not taste as good (I'm not sure, never had light peanut butter) which either might make you eat less or at least feel better when you eat it. The mac a cheese is tough, I used to eat a box of mac n cheese in one sitting, and honestly I don't think I've had it since I got really serious about watching what I eat because of the same fear you have. I just know eating a whole box will basically ruin my diet for the day and I don't think I could eat just a little.

Sometimes it's good to give yourself a cheat day per week to allow yourself to pig out and then you'll feel so disgusting you will work harder during the next week. There are actually some diets that recommend this: zone (I think), and weight watchers gives you flex points which probably add up to what a cheat day might be. I don't actually do a whole cheat day, just because I'm getting so used to eating healthier I have no desire to eat a bunch of junk all day. I might have a cheat meal or a cheat night where I indulge in things that take up too many calories to realistically fit into a day. Also sometimes when I'm going over my calories I don't feel as bad if I know I'm only going up to the amount I burn in a day, obviously that does not help you lose but at least it means you won't gain.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've given up is the spoonfuls of Crisco... apparently that's bad for you... Who knew?
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Potato chips!! I love them soooooooooo much. Especially Pringles. Their slogan says it all!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Even if they reasonably can be kept in your diet?

I ask because I just had peanut butter for the first time in almost 5 months, now I feel like I've just started down a slippery slope, which is crazy because I've had worse things since I've been on this. The thing is though, I LOVE peanut butter, I LOVE it and I fear now it's going to make it's way back in and eat up a ton of calories for me.

It's the same with Mac & Cheese, I know I could have just a little bit and be fine but I fear if I have it once, that will be the end of my diet.

Are there things you gave up completely and other that you kept in your diet even though they might be just as bad as one another?

I can have a chip or I can have a piece of cake and not ruin a thing but for some reason I think if I have peanut butter or mac & cheese, I'm done.

Reading your question before I got to the post I was going to virtuously say, "white flour & sugar". Then you opened up a can of worms with your opening statements!

HELLO LONG LOST TWIN!!! I need a 12 step program for Peanut butter! Before I started my healthy lifestyle changes full speed ahead, I got two big jars of JIF at Costco - money saving coupon, right? I think I ate a cup of it spoon by spoon until my concience finally kicked in! It never even made it to a piece of bread or a cracker! I wasn't feeling sick and I really wanted more, even the pain from swallowing big lumps of it was not enough to deter me as I thought "this will kill me if I can't get it swallowed!" and I did that several times while eating it. Then thinking of my body and what it has to do to process that massive lump of practically pure fat! I froze the rest in 1 cup increments "to make dog bones with". Yeah, right. I couldn't believe how good it was frozen and was so surprised that I didn't lose a front tooth on it! It slowed me down because it was harder to eat but I ate the rest in 1/2 cup increments or probably 1 cup per day over time. If I had to eat only one thing for the rest of my life, I would be content with peanut butter. No questions asked.

I love to cook. Made a gourmet mac & cheese using all kinds of cheeses called for and baked it in the oven. It was okay. My personal favorite? Kraft in the blue box made for kids. Why? It's the cheesiest, just like it says. I am 100% positive that if I read the label on the box I would be horrified!

A few years back when we moved into our house we thought we might have a mouse or rat scurrying about. My husband was going to set some traps and he told me to get some peanut butter. I know who I am so I got the smallest jar I could find and put it in the cupboard waiting for him to ask for it. He never did. This jar SCREAMED my name from the minute I looked at it in the store until I finished the jar and shamefully threw it in the trash. A week or so later he asked for the peanutbutter and I had to tell him I ate it you'll have to use cheese because I am not buying any more!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    An odd one I guess.....I really miss my favourite comfort meal of mince (bolagnaise) with white rice and peas.... : ( I could eat 3 portions in an hour - easy.

Not a conventional meal, but an old favourite from uni (probably the first proper food I learnt to cook). I tried Quorn mince but it really just wasn't the same...

Oh and milkshakes. Can't any the justify the amount of calories in them so do without. For 200+ calories I want to be eating solid food or soup! : )
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I've attempted to cut down on pastas and breads. For example, I love having a cheeseburger (foreman grilled) pre or post workout and I switched from using a bun to using two green leaf lettuce leaves. I like this even more as I taste everything else and it's about 2/3 the calories.

LIKE !!!
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options

I love to cook. Made a gourmet mac & cheese using all kinds of cheeses called for and baked it in the oven. It was okay. My personal favorite? Kraft in the blue box made for kids. Why? It's the cheesiest, just like it says. I am 100% positive that if I read the label on the box I would be horrified!

I love love love to cook and homemade mac and cheese is my specialty, I'll use any kind of cheese I can find and throw it in there(I also use cheese whiz in there because it make sit creamier, sad I know).
    I recently taught my niece how to make it and now I feel horrible, apparently she refuses to eat anything else! She's a runner and training for triathlons so she can handle the calories, I just fear I started her down a BAD path.,..
  • matchpek
    matchpek Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I gave up aspartame about ten weeks into my diet so that entailed giving up the diet coke. Sigh. I still miss it but I know if I had one I'd be straight back on it. I swear it's worse than giving up cigarettes! That, for me at least, wasn't too tough. The diet coke, jeez! Otherwise, I'd say chicken wings - I LOVE dominos chicken wings but I can't let myself have some because it would be the beginning of the end for me. Otherwise, I just eat the bad things in moderation - I have a cheat meal once a week which really helps...I often have a chocolate bar on a Saturday and I'm not worried about that as although I like chocolate I could give it up totally if needs be. As long as it's not harming my diet though - I do enjoy a Snickers!

I agree with you on the diet coke thing. I gave up smoking two years ago and that wasn't as bad as trying to give up these darned diet cokes. However, I am doing pretty good. I allowed myself one yesterday and it actually tasted too sweet. So that's good!! lol
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    Oh man. Mine is maple. Whether it is mapel syrup (even sugar free), maple candy maple donut. There is something about it that makes me just crave more. Its not just the sugar aspect of it either because I have had other sweets with out the cravings making me nuts.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I gave up Mt Dew -- and all other pop. I also gave up cake as a rule - minus birthdays or special occasions. I never have cake in the house because I KNOW I will eat it (and a lot of it). Oh and donuts. I haven't had a donut in over a year. I have NO willpower where donuts are concerned, so removing them from my life is in my best interest.

I follow the "everything in moderation" lifestyle but these are 3 items that I just can't have around me. Too much temptation and I don't want to fall back into old habits.
  • RobinMSills
    RobinMSills Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oh right... for me it's cheesy crackers. Cheese-its, nips, goldfish....holy cow I luuurve them

Yeah, I love the hot and spicy cheez-its and the cheez-it party mix. I have a box in the pantry now and I have only touched it once. I think if I portioned it all out at once I would be fine, but if I don't I dig into the box. Oh, and I gave up all fast food and soda and gas station type candy bars and Little Debbies.

I actually used to do that too and it always really helps! I should do that next time! Thanks for reminding me :) There's something about the guilt of opening up another bag. I also used to use the snack sized baggies because they look more full with a portion in them.
  • jakemg
    jakemg Posts: 42
    Options
    Salt and vinegar chips. I love love love them, but there is just so much sodium and I already have trouble containing my sodium intake...