People shoving food in your face...ugh!

Replies

• Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    I've found that no thank you generally suffices. Sometimes, I might follow with a little flattery (gee that does look delicious - what recipe did you use? Wow, you are such a generous host making all these wonderful things for your guests...is there anything I can do to help?)

If a bite of something will trigger you to overeat, by all means do not take it unless you want to.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    If they offer food you do not want, smile say "No, thank you". Most often they will find other people entice.

If they put a spoonful of food to your mouth you may:
    • Glare at them and state you are not a 4-year old
    • -or- With a startled look, execute a dramatic block in the martial arts style of your choosing. The spoon flying across the room and impaling an innocent bystander will send quite the message.

If they proceed to hold you down and literally shove food in your face, then defend yourself as appropriate and file assault charges.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Or, you can just have fun at the party and get back on track the next day. Dieting does not have to equal incubating yourself in your house from all social events. If you don't want to eat something then dont, but don't blame your neighbors for having the thoughtfulness to invite you into their home and provide food.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    She's also the kind of girl that will tell you you're not fat, when it's obvious you are

So this conversation where she says you aren't fat.... what preceded that comment? Did she just walk up to you and say, "hey you, you're not fat"? Cause if so, that would be weird...

Or was it when she offered you some of her homemade food at a party that she invited you to and you said, "Oh I can't eat that, I'm too fat?" And she says something like, "don't be silly, you aren't fat, try it"

Gosh, yeah, I can see why you would dislike her so much...

• Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    Just say, "No thanks". And take a step sideways. You are in charge of what you eat and it's not rude to say, "No thanks".

This is what I do.

Please do not lie about a food allergy, but you could always say "Oh man, I just brushed my teeth, maybe later". Nothing tastes good after toothpaste.
  • jmpaterno
    jmpaterno Posts: 47 Member
    My go-to excuse is "I'll try a bite of Boyfriend's when he has some!" That's been working for me, but your friend does seem to be pushier about this than my friends and family are.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    "No, thank you" can sound a little stiff with a close friend. Why not briefly explain that you're watching your calories and really want to succeed? A real friend isn't going to want to tear down your desire to succeed.

Also - the other advice mentioned: fit a bit of the food into your calorie goal.

Please don't hate going to friends' houses! :)
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    lady I work with Is always trying to bring me cake, cookies. I say no thanks bring me fruit or something healthy, I am honest and say I once was over 200 lbs, cant do that again, sorry I cant eat it. I think it is easier to say No the older we get. got to take care of you
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Stop blaming others for your problems and use self control.

Either say no thanks, insist, and explain why if you must (or throw any other excuse out there you want, like "I already had some"). Or, you could just take a bite and move on with life (its only going to be a small quantity of calories anyways). You don't have to rush the food table, knock everyone out of the way, and scarf down 2 plates full just because you had a small bite.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Just say you've become gluten and dairy intolerant and you need a special diet. Perhaps you're on a free-range vegan fed chicken only diet.

You should only do this if it's true. Otherwise it's dangerous for other people and there are so many other effective ways of saying no.

I use the dairy allergy one a lot - but most of my friends have also survived my poopscapades so when I say I've had enough dairy today they believe me. I had to leave my own birthday party because of too much dairy. I've also had my neck explode in a rash because of too much dairy. But I can have some. Which is why they will see me eating some.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    There are some pushy mother effers out there. I can see where some people are coming from - "it's easy, just do this. Just say no, just eat it, etc."
    But it can be a lot harder, and aggravating, if they're as pushy as some people I know. And it's not easy for everyone to "just have one bite" and move on.

An example of pushiness with an actual convo today at work:

Coworker: today is national chocolate day, so have some chocolate (she's bearing three bags of chocolate candy)
    Me: No thanks.
    Coworker: Oh you will have some! It's national chocolate day!
    Me: Oh no I won't!
    Coworker: Well if you don't have any that means you don't like me and we're not friends!
    Me: Oh come on! *takes a mounds bar and puts it in my drawer*
  • WinoGelato
    There are some pushy mother effers out there. I can see where some people are coming from - "it's easy, just do this. Just say no, just eat it, etc."
    But it can be a lot harder, and aggravating, if they're as pushy as some people I know. And it's not easy for everyone to "just have one bite" and move on.

Coworker: today is national chocolate day, so have some chocolate (she's bearing three bags of chocolate candy)
    Coworker: Well if you don't have any that means you don't like me and we're not friends!

Do you work at Mean Girls Inc? Seriously, that sounds so childish I can't imagine that grown adults in a professional environment would ever say those words out loud.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Try chewing gum during the party, it's a great excuse to not try dishes because honestly the gum with distort the flavor.

I am a little concerned that you would avoid the social situation though, you will have to deal with this so might as well find what works for you. Accept the invitations, bring something to share, chew gum, claim a tummy ache if you must but avoiding others is a tough way to go.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Do you work at Mean Girls Inc? Seriously, that sounds so childish I can't imagine that grown adults in a professional environment would ever say those words out loud.

I am of the same train of thought. I cannot fathom people around me being so pushy about food. Yet, there are countless threads about this same topic, so apparently it's common.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    With a startled look, execute a dramatic block in the martial arts style of your choosing. The spoon flying across the room and impaling an innocent bystander will send quite the message.

Bonus points if you do so while humming "Kung Fu Fighting"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

or just turn around and walk away ....
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member

A person who can't take "I appreciate your offer, but no thank you" at face value and move on does not deserve friends.

Then again, that tactic can be turned around on the perpetrator with hilarious effect. Accost her in her cubicle and ask her if she has accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster. When she declines, demand she must be touched by His Noodly Appendage, and if she refuses she isn't your friend anymore.

For bonus points, slap a colander on her head and march out dancing a pirate jig.
  • WinoGelato
    bpetrosky wrote: »

A person who can't take "I appreciate your offer, but no thank you" at face value and move on does not deserve friends.

Then again, that tactic can be turned around on the perpetrator with hilarious effect. Accost her in her cubicle and ask her if she has accepted the Flying Spaghetti Monster. When she declines, demand she must be touched by His Noodly Appendage, and if she refuses she isn't your friend anymore.

For bonus points, slap a colander on her head and march out dancing a pirate jig.

You. Win.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I am of the same train of thought. I cannot fathom people around me being so pushy about food. Yet, there are countless threads about this same topic, so apparently it's common.

Yeah, same here.

The people I know aren't especially polite with respect to anything else, but a lot of what people report seems mindboggling and impossible to imagine anyone I know engaging in.

I pass up stuff all the time. No one cares.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    This is why I hate going out to friends houses. They've made this wonderful new dish that you just have to try! You don't want to be rude and refuse, but you know that if you have a problem with moderation after taking a bite of something delicious, it's hard not to overeat. We are going to a Halloween party friday night, and if it wasn't for my little boy, I wouldn't even go. My friend has a little boy, and he plays with him. She's one of those bubbly kind of girls that put's a spoonful of food to your mouth and says, "oh, you have to try this, it's delicious." She's also the kind of girl that will tell you you're not fat, when it's obvious you are. I would just tell her off, but I'm a peacemaker, and I don't like to cause scenes. What would you do? Wow, I just realized that this sounds like a Dear Abby column!

To be honest, I do not think that anyone ever got overweight or had a hard time to lose weight, because of being offered the occasional treat at a friend's house (assuming this is not happening daily). Take a bite, or ask for a small portion (say you are full or be honest and say you are trying to lose weight), or plan ahead so you will fit this meal into your calories.