When you are always invited somewhere..

Options

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I used to really struggle with this too, OP! You aren't alone - but know that there are ways around it.

Your weight loss journey should absolutely not hinder your social life whatsoever. Sure, you may not be eating the same high calorie foods as your friends, but there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't continue to enjoy your life. I'm not going to repeat what has already been said, but I'd say this - listen to the suggestions and advice that has been given to you - there are some good options here.

Also remember this, you are a human being - not a robot.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Pondee no I'm not 5 thank you.
  • tracefan
    Options
    Appreciate all the help. Bringing veggies and dip to my grill party tomorrow I will drink more water too. That helps fill me up I'm very bad at drinking water. I will do this. My willpower is not as good as it used to be, but I'm sure willing to change that. :)
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    Bring your scale. Eat the food but the scale will help you eat in moderation. I know the scale keeps me grounded and not likely to go crazy

Not that I'd judge anyone who does, but... carrying around a scale with you seems a bit OTT.

Hmmm, maybe for some, but like for me as an example, I am way happier knowing that I have logged accurately so I don't find that I haven't lost and go "crap maybe I didn't log accurately". I'm really determined for this to work, and I am highly susceptible to burn out if I'm not seeing results, so it's absolutely necessary for my peace of mind. So I guess it's fair to say my worrying can get over the top, or my motivation, but it really is a great feeling to lose weight on track and know it's because I took the initiative and made sure I held myself accountable, even though dragging my scale around is kind of a pain in the rear. And I never wonder if I've accidentally cheated myself out of calories I totally could have nommed if I had just weighed the darn food;)

So you bring your scale to a restaurant and weigh your food after a waiter serves it to you? If you are able to do this, good for you. I understand maybe bringing it to a friends house who I am close with and knows I am counting calories but a restaurant I would be too self conscious about all the eye balls on me as I do it lol.
  • LastingChanges
    edited October 2015
    Options

Regarding the original post, it is funny because I find it easier to eat less when I go out to eat or eat with friends. When I am by myself that is when I tend to munch and overeat.

Sip on a drink so that you aren't tempted to eat more than you planned. And I like the advice someone gave previously to look for food that really is special and you wouldn't get a chance to eat otherwise.
  • tracefan
    Options
    I agree Lasting. and I do eat fish when I go out usually I'm not a steak eater so I try to go light. I personally like to eat out because I don't like to cook. I think my problem is that along with the awesome food that someone is cooking for me and bringing to me.. I tend to get carried away. I will say... for me it's all a mindset. I know if my brain is set to lose weight and have willpower I will do it
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    clgaram720 wrote: »
    Bring your scale. Eat the food but the scale will help you eat in moderation. I know the scale keeps me grounded and not likely to go crazy

Not that I'd judge anyone who does, but... carrying around a scale with you seems a bit OTT.

Hmmm, maybe for some, but like for me as an example, I am way happier knowing that I have logged accurately so I don't find that I haven't lost and go "crap maybe I didn't log accurately". I'm really determined for this to work, and I am highly susceptible to burn out if I'm not seeing results, so it's absolutely necessary for my peace of mind. So I guess it's fair to say my worrying can get over the top, or my motivation, but it really is a great feeling to lose weight on track and know it's because I took the initiative and made sure I held myself accountable, even though dragging my scale around is kind of a pain in the rear. And I never wonder if I've accidentally cheated myself out of calories I totally could have nommed if I had just weighed the darn food;)

Why does the weight of the food matter if you don't know how it was prepared and you don't know the ingredients?

ETA:That would only work if we're talking like "ribeye, 5.5oz", etc. But most restaurants load up on the butter, cream, and oil and you have no idea what's in that pasta, dressing, mashed potatoes, rolls, rice side, sauteed veggies and so on.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Move more when possible. Obviously you'll be expected to sit at a restaurant but at parties, tailgating, etc. stay on your feet. Talk more (without food in your mouth). Sip your drinks! Focus on the company more than the food. Enjoy the food but exercise portion control.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Social situations fall into 3 logging categories for me:

-cocktail/open house/hang out type affairs without a sit down meal: I eat before I go, enjoy my friends, probably a glass of wine or two but don't look at the snack food. I'm a believer in partaking of something extraordinary when it is offered, but that is rarely the case at these events, in my experience. Even when catered and the passed hors d'oeuvres look special, they usually taste meh. Whatever I do, I try not to arrive hungry. After a glass of wine I'll be irretrievably in the chips. Game over.

- restaurant dinner: I try to find the menu online, pick something, best guess pre-log (+10g butter), and plan the rest of the day around that. After eating it, I'll adjust what I pre-logged as accurately as I can. Some people put half in a to-go box and weigh it at home to make a more accurate estimate, but I rarely do this. Only twice I can think of when the meal really was twice what I wanted to eat. I usually eat more than half.

- dinner party (or otherwise not pre-loggable): Say the party is Saturday. Know what you're having for dinner Sunday? Log Sunday's dinner Sat. After the party, log the party dinner on Sunday and fit the rest of your Sunday around that. Over the 2 days, it averages out. I rarely do this in maintenance, but when I'm tracking for a deficit as accurately as I can, a "dinner swap" can help.

Cheers!
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    :/:)

Right? You summed it up. Everyone wishes it was different than simply "well... just don't!"
    It sucks to say no! But if its something you want to be able to do, my strategy for these events (and holidays coming up) is an AM exercise, super light meals (like fill my tummy with veggies so Im stuffed but for very little cals), and then use my 'left over' calories wisely. For me if I can manage to burn 300 calories, and then between Breakfast and Lunch only consume about 800 cals (not unreasonable for one day) then with my personal goals I could eat or drink up to 900 calories. Sure it may not be enough to cover a 6 course meal but having general knowledge about what foods consist of you'll at least be making educated estimates.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I would respectfully suggest you owe OP an apology for insinuating her question was juvenile. The vast majority of MFP users have at some point had a problem controlling intake or else they would not be on MFP. Asking others about strategies for implementing new caloric goals and new eating behaviors is what these forums are for. Don't comment if a question doesn't interest you.
  • tracefan
    Options
    Thank you ahoy.. Pondee doesn't seem like a very supportive person. I will chose to ignore.
  • jackjackattck
    jackjackattck Posts: 117 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Agreed with ahoy! It is unfair and a bit rude to think the OP is faced with such an easy black and white decision. Yes, the OP could meet her goals better (and so would I) if we were to avoid certain social outings or "just control our intake" as you suggested. However, things aren't so easy. Sure I could be at my goal weight if I never went out, never had too many beers, never ate cheese fries after those beers. Yet I would live a boring life at home never going out. The truth is, we are all faced with decisions like these all the time and it is NOT easy to just say I want the perfect body and I will sit here happily while my friends indulge in fatty party food. On top of that, one of the biggest struggles is simply not knowing what is in the food you are eating. I can estimate from a similar entry on MFP, but depending on how it was prepared, I could be off by a factor of 100% or more.

To everyone else that has commented on here with helpful responses, thank you! I am a very social person and my outings almost always revolve around food and alcohol. There are some good tips in here that I can't wait to try out this weekend!
  • tracefan
    Options
    Thanks jack jack for that supportive post ..
  • VelvetMeow
    VelvetMeow Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem, I started making or buying my own snacks and bringing them along to parties! Bringing extra snacks to a get together is always appreciated so I always bring enough to share, but most of the time people aren't super interested in my healthy snacks so I can gorge myself on them which keeps me from eating too much of the less healthy snacks!

When it comes to booze I've just tried drinking healthier, I don't want to drink any less, so I've been drinking more vodka sodas instead of other cocktails or beer.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Learning to say "no" is an IMPORTANT life skill, right?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Initiate activities with your friends which are not focused around food and alcohol.

Make friends who are interested in doing fun things which are not food-centric.

I love to go out dancing--it's active and fun. Generally there are opportunities to eat or drink if you want to, but 95% of the time, I just choose not to indulge. Nobody cares.

Lots of other good strategies have been mentioned. One more to add--just take a drink, hold it and don't drink it. If your hands look occupied, people will leave you alone about eating or drinking more.

• Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    hubs and I go out a lot.. we have a lot of friends and are always doing something. Whether it's a tailgate party, fancy restaurant, party at a friends house etc. HOW THE HECK do I find the willpower to control my food intake? I do not want to stay home just because I don't want to see that devil on my shoulder.

I had the same problem. It seemed like nearly every weekend something new would pop up. I was starting to avoid social situations which, in turn, was making me depressed. I discovered intermittent fasting and now I am able to enjoy dinner out, Bunco night with the girls, potlucks, etc...while still staying in my calorie range and losing weight. I'm doing the Leangains 16/8. I highly suggest you research and check it out :-)
  • LastingChanges
    edited November 2015
    Options

Based on your responses, it sounds like you live a very successful life, in which all your decisions and goals go exactly as planned without set backs?

I find it hard to believe that you've never implemented a decision/goal in your life in which you had a hard time maintaining the goal. Your response was rude, there must have been a more encouraging way you could've stated your response. The whole purpose of a weight loss forum is to ask for advice and support. Reading how others implement their decisions or use self control can be very helpful for someone else.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    if it was so simple to have self control then none of us would be overweight and this site would never exist and you wouldn't have the opportunity to be a jerk to someone asking for advice.