Vitamin B for energy?

Options
Ive noticed lately when I consume vitamin B as part of a v8 energy drink (hear me out) I feel good all day. My body does not handle caffeine well. In fact I can't have regular coffee AT ALL. Messes me up big time all day. My husband thought I was crazy when he saw me grab a v8 drink at the gas station one day but I was desperate to feel energized for my upcoming long evening so I took a risk...no crazy caffeine side effects.

So I'm wondering if it's the large amount of B Vitamins and curious if anyone takes supplements. I'm wanting to try taking some but lost what to look for as there are different types and formulas...

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don'tknow. I do get protein powder with extra vitamins, and most days I sprinkle nutritional yeast on my food which has B vitamins in it.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are deficient in vitamin B, or suspect you are, you need to talk to your dr. It can be a symptom of some serious illnesses.
    If you do need vitamin B supplements, these will not be in the form of v8 to make a difference, and you will not notice a difference immediately after consuming the supplements.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the v8 juice, but when I take B vitamins I can definitely feel the extra energy. And nothing like that manic too much coffee feeling :tongue:
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I've been told by a few Drs to take B vitamins for energy - they don't do anything noticable for me though so I continue my coffee and red bull habit. I say you're not crazy if you notice a difference.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    OP--which vitamin B? Thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pyridoxine, folic acid, cyanoco(12).....maybe eat some dark leafy greens. Seems to work pretty well.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Oh, and look for a B complex vitamin which has all the B's in it, would also be cheaper than the v8 juice. But if you're enjoying them and they give you a boost, then keep on chugging :+1::smile:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Once your body has what it needs, it will eliminate any extra. It will not take the extra and put it to use giving you more energy.

People who are actually low or deficient can see all kinds of positive changes by supplementing. Those vitamins and minerals really do make a difference! But it can only help if you didn't have enough to begin with.

Enough is good. Extra is peed out.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Once your body has what it needs, it will eliminate any extra. It will not take the extra and put it to use giving you more energy.

People who are actually low or deficient can see all kinds of positive changes by supplementing. Those vitamins and minerals really do make a difference! But it can only help if you didn't have enough to begin with.

Yep, and don't be alarmed if your pee is neon bright yellow.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Yep, and don't be alarmed if your pee is neon bright yellow.

Years ago, I was in school and we were all tired all the time. A friend of mine gave me a few of her vitamins to try as she swore they'd help with energy. So I took one.

I nearly pooped bricks when I saw my neon pee. I was all kinds of freaked out and told her about it, since she was there. She told me it was the vitamin.

I always try to remember to tell people about the pee if it's going to be neon or green or whatever, so that they aren't freaking out. Glad you did! :)
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Yeah its good for heart, mental, and energy metabolism. B vitamin in a complex is a great way to get it. its water soluble so the body cant store it. ( I noticed the color but its not a big deal).

I take mine everyday in the liquid form but there are different types to get like gummies, capsules, or raw etc.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B is used in almost all forms of energy drinks in addition to caffeine and can be found in health food stores packaged as energy supplements. It's great... unless I take it too close to bedtime.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    It might be the placebo effect. But no matter if it is or isn't, you feel better, and that's what matters :smile:
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies...interesting stuff. No I don't take a multivitamin currently. Perhaps that's a good place to start and see if I notice difference...MUCH cheaper than a 6 pack of v8 energy drinks. But they are tasty and when I have a coupon I buy em up ;)

I'm not sure without looking what B vitamins are in the drink.
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I had to have a b12 shot due to a b12 defeciency. I was told to start taking a b12 supplement. I now take a zipfizz before my workouts and it gives me clarity during my workouts. Zipfizz was the highest b12 supplement that I could find over the counter. I like it and will continue using it for now.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    V8 does not have a significant quantity of the B vitamins.

v8-nutrition-breakdown2.jpg
  • SarahxApple
    SarahxApple Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I take a complex B vitamin every other day - I am really prone to mouth ulcer (canker sores to Americans), I have no underlying problems but some evidence suggests that it's Vitamin B deficiency - also it was suggested that I take them when I am feeling sluggish, often when I am on my period, they definitely perk me up, I'm not a big coffee drinker either (the occasional mocha and I drink tea).

Also they are great to take with water before bed if you have been drinking, they definitely help with the hangover the next day.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

That's because it is ;)

Just another MLM company pushing an overpriced product.

OP: I've never seen these V8 energy drinks, are they the same company that makes the juices?

*Moderator note: I deleted the name of the product and the link due to advertising. Don't mind me. :)

USMCMP
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I dont eat much meat so I do take a b12 vitamin. I did notice a difference in my energy levels; I think the vitamin D helped too
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I take a B complex in the morning (when I remember) and most days, I do feel good/more energy and a little better mood.