Any tall women out there?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• raisingcropsandkids
    Options
    I'm 5'10", I started at sz 20, now I'm a 14/16. I've lost 24lbs and 30". I used to wear 2x now I wear regular xl tops. I'm only 1/4 of the way to my goal :-)
    vcuqi04gokvr.jpg
  • parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    kateauch wrote: »
    Hi! I'm 5'11" and at my heaviest, was pushing 260. At that weight I was a size 16/18.

I'm down to 230 as of yesterday morning and I wear an 11/12 now. My goal weight is 180 and I'm thinking that will put me around a size 6. I'm very curvy and have a heavy frame- my wrists are ~7 inches in circumference.

The below photo is from about 4 lbs ago so I've lost more since then.

Don't put yourself down and tell yourself it can't be done before you try. Also, it's more about how you feel and things fit, rather than defining things by numbers you see on the scale or on your pants tags. Persevere!

e8cd1a4a-cb93-4f15-9f35-740bef1b0189_zps744d63af.jpg

Im at 241 now and if I look this good with just 11lbs gone, I'll be a happy lady!!
  • kellellie
    kellellie Posts: 109 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    5'10" here!
    At my highest I was 260 and was stuffing myself into 20s. I carry my weight in my hips so for a long time I didn't drop a size at all. At one point I lost 30lbs in 3 months, really busting my butt, and I didn't go down a size in anything. So disappointing. I was in an 18 all the way between 245 and 200 ish. Some where in the 190s I went to a goodwill and found a pristine pair of old navy jeans in a 14, and hey, only 5 bucks, might as well get them for later. Went home and tried them on for giggles, and I actually got them zipped up. A bit tighter than I prefer (as someone who wears yoga pants for a living) but I was so happy that i'd skipped 16s all together.

Then, about a month ago (somewhere between 186 and 183, don't remember), I was getting to the point where I couldn't really wear anything in my closet without looking like a bag lady. So I went out to old navy to find that style of jeans my 14s were and see where I was at now. I spent 20 minutes in the changing room grinning like a fool because I fit into 12s.

I'm currently at 179 and stuck between 12/14, depending on the brand and style. I always thought because i'm so tall i'd never get into anything smaller than a 10. I've since discovered I actually have a rather small frame and now i'd be very freakishly happy to get to an 8, but a 10 will do :) With any luck i'll get there before new years.
  • Megandarae
    Megandarae Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It is interesting how we all carry our weight differently. I'm 5'10" and currently wearing a 12/14. I've never really been smaller than a 10 in jeans, even when I weighed 138 (lowest adult weight ever - yay breastfeeding!). I was a 10 when I weighed 155, too. I did the wrist test and according to that, I'm small boned but my mom has always described me as "big-boned", so I don't know!
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Megandarae wrote: »
    It is interesting how we all carry our weight differently. I'm 5'10" and currently wearing a 12/14. I've never really been smaller than a 10 in jeans, even when I weighed 138 (lowest adult weight ever - yay breastfeeding!). I was a 10 when I weighed 155, too. I did the wrist test and according to that, I'm small boned but my mom has always described me as "big-boned", so I don't know!

That is so true. I'm 5'10 and 170ish and wearing an 8. I'm 'small framed' which I just learned yesterday so hypothetically I could go to a 4, I think (I've got 16.6lbs still to go). I think that's another reason we shouldn't get hung up on size. Whatever feels good for you is the size you should be -- within healthy range of course. :smile:
  • gardnerslater
    gardnerslater Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9, I started this journey a year ago this week. I weighed 280 pounds wearing a 20W, and it was tight and uncomfortable, I probably should have been in a 22W but I refused to buy a larger size. I probably looked like a sausage but denial is a powerful thing. I now weigh between 180 and 183....I've been bouncing around the last few days. I now wear a 12 and some of them are loose. I wore a 10 to a gala last week and I want to get down to 175. So another 5-8 pounds. I will likely end up a size 12/10 depending on the cut. I would make a suggestion that you visit a department store and get out the same outfit in descending sizes.

I think it may be helpful to see size the transitions. I have been forced into shopping by virtue of having nothing that fit. When I wandered over to the misses section I fell apart because nothing fit and I had no idea what size I was. A friend gave me a beautiful skirt and I thought no way will I be able to wear this, especially since it runs small....wrong!!!

I have curves, boobs and hips, and I kept thinking and on occasion buying garments that was too large. My daughter did an intervention, no I don't start with 20W, I start with 14 and work my way down. Good luck!
  • gardnerslater
    gardnerslater Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    When I first read your post I thought I had already responded to the initial question of tall women. Our stories mirror, and our thought processes and phrasing too....I'm still laughing!!!! Thank you for showing me I'm not the only one!!!!

quote="kellellie;34261479"]5'10" here!
    At my highest I was 260 and was stuffing myself into 20s. I carry my weight in my hips so for a long time I didn't drop a size at all. At one point I lost 30lbs in 3 months, really busting my butt, and I didn't go down a size in anything. So disappointing. I was in an 18 all the way between 245 and 200 ish. Some where in the 190s I went to a goodwill and found a pristine pair of old navy jeans in a 14, and hey, only 5 bucks, might as well get them for later. Went home and tried them on for giggles, and I actually got them zipped up. A bit tighter than I prefer (as someone who wears yoga pants for a living) but I was so happy that i'd skipped 16s all together.

Then, about a month ago (somewhere between 186 and 183, don't remember), I was getting to the point where I couldn't really wear anything in my closet without looking like a bag lady. So I went out to old navy to find that style of jeans my 14s were and see where I was at now. I spent 20 minutes in the changing room grinning like a fool because I fit into 12s.

I'm currently at 179 and stuck between 12/14, depending on the brand and style. I always thought because i'm so tall i'd never get into anything smaller than a 10. I've since discovered I actually have a rather small frame and now i'd be very freakishly happy to get to an 8, but a 10 will do :) With any luck i'll get there before new years.[/quote]

• ChallengerGirl9399
    ChallengerGirl9399 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hiya! I'm 5'9" my highest weight at one point was 237 pounds! Now I'm at 191 I've fluctuated from 187-192 but I've worked myself to basically 50 pounds lost! Hoping this app finally helps me lose these last 25 pounds I've been trying to shed! But if I was able to lose about 50 pounds then so can you!!! You can do it!!! Since losing the weight I become a professional dog walker and just recently started up my own dog walking business I would have never been able to do such a physically demanding job if I didn't shed the extra weight I did so far!!!
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'1, and started out at around 155kg / 340lbs. Now down to 103kg / 226lbs. At my highest weight I was looking like a sausage into Australian plus size 24's (I'm guessing that would be like a regular 26?28?) and now I'm in Australian 16/18's (US 14?) depending on the cut of the pants. I'm a pear shape though, so I keep most of my weight below the waist.
  • Ayirioritse81
    Ayirioritse81 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi. Am 1.76m. Started 5mths ago at 285Ibs. Now 220. Still have 40Ibs to go. I carry most of my wt in my upper body. Started at size 20(us). Now 12(US). Hope t get t 10. Don't no if I can be an 8 but we will c how it goes. Taking it 1day at a time
  • CecilysJourney2Fitness
    Options
    I'm 5'8 1/2 and I am currently 245. I was 273 when I started my weight loss journey and Im like an 18/16 in pants currently. I lost 26 pounds on my own and joined MFP to lose the rest!! Add me always looking for new friends and support. This is a long tough road I have to lose about 107 pounds to meet my goal weight of 140.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 37, 5'11, and currently weigh about 152. I've been between 147 & 153 for about 3 years now. I wear a 6/8 pants, 4/6 dress. At my largest, 193, I wore a 14 TIGHTLY. The reason I started losing was because I refused to buy 16's.

I have an hour glass shape with larger than average boobs (32DDD size bra). Most of my tops are mediums and sometimes I need a small.

OP, even though you can't see yourself ever getting to be smaller than a 16, it can be done. But only if you want it.
  • FitMeg85
    FitMeg85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a tall women I am 5'9 290 . I have 3 kids the youngest 17months. I have really ate out of convience the last year and put on more weight this last year then in my whole pregnancy. My husband and I want one more baby but I don't want to get pregnant until I lose 100lbs. I'd like to be 175. But I'll take 190.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!