Diet Healthy Dessert

Options
I went to the store and bought like different protein bars, Clifs, PowerBar, ThinkThin, Promax, Lenny & Larry, Zone Perfect, and Luna bars and I was wondering are things good as desserts instead of eating a chocolate bar, brownie, cake, cookie ect.?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle changes .........

For me there are no substitutes for chocolate......

I won't give up chocolate, cake, or cookies forever, so I still eat them while losing weight. Granted, I can't eat them "whenever." I'm learning moderation. I make room for a small portion and log it.

• BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I can't give them up either, but I was curious about these bars and see how good they were and if it's ok to have them as desserts. Very curious about the Clif Bars
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Recipes made with Quest bars.
    http://www.swansonvitamins.com/blog/chelsea/26-quest-bar-recipes-cheatclean
    I suspect these would all be calorie bombs. Their only superiority over regular desserts is a higher protein count.

I am not a sweets person and as a diabetic for many years I got out of the habit. So I'd be just as happy with an apple with a bit of peanut butter. Or microwave a cored apple stuffed with walnuts, cinnamon, and raisins. Add a dollop of Greek yogurt.

I will indulge in chocolate some evenings. I make a hot chocolate again sweetened with stevia. Or make a tea spiced up with cinnamon and cocoa with a little stevia.

The thing about mug brownies is that you can make it on demand, but you don't have an entire tray around begging you to eat it.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I am a daily dessert eater. I have to build it into my day. I have used the Luna bars for my dessert on some days, but honestly there are lower calorie options. My current favorite is these crustless pumpkin custards. I make 6 of them on Sunday for the week and dollop some cool whip free on top. With the whipped cream and all they are about 215 calories.
    http://cupcakesandkalechips.com/individual-crustless-pumpkin-pies-aka-pumpkin-custards/

Other favorites are the 90 calorie fiber one brownies. Edy's slow churned ice cream, sugar free pudding topped with granola (love the Bear Naked Maple Pecan!) and s'mores (low fat graham cracker, some nutella and marshmallow in the microwave).
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I haven't exactly had any sugar cravings after I bought a lot of sugar stuff to when I want my daily treat, but they make me nervous. I'm athletic and should b ok with the high sugar and carb intake but I still feel nervous about sweets and now these protein, energy bars. I hope I don't regret buying them
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I bought like 1 of each (not box) of things I crave (brownie, cookie, blueberry crisp, and cheesecake)
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I think the Luna Chocolate Peppermint Stick bars taste similar to girl scout thin mints. :-) So those make me really happy. Luna also has a protein line that has a Mint Chocolate Chip, they pack more protein and are just as yum.
  • tmartin19710
    tmartin19710 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When I really want chocolate I do mug brownies. I also like the nature valley chewy protein bars. I have to watch my sugar intake so I use sugar free brownie mix, unsweetened apple sauce ,egg and water to make my brownie with.
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    Will eating protein bars make you gain? Trying to lose/maintain before thanksgiving.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I dont like any of those bars.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @Emily3907 I have SO pinned that crustless pumpkin recipe. I might try cream cheese or Greek yogurt instead of the condensed milk as I am more likely to have them around the house.

@Blackpanther34 you will gain if you eat over your assigned calories for the DAY. You can fit a bar in if you subtract something else, like having soup or salad for lunch instead of a sandwich. But how you divvy up your calories is entirely up to you. Some people save their calories for a 300 calorie protein bar, because it is worth it for them.

@MarcyKirkton what sorts of flavours and textures do you like?
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I like choc and not dry. I think i dont like sugar sub. Anyway i keep trying diet and Protein bars Galore.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Will eating protein bars make you gain? Trying to lose/maintain before thanksgiving.

Only if they make you go over your calorie goals.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Balance Bar, but some of the others are good, too.

I don't generally use them as dessert (although I do on occasion). I keep them for when I need a quick snack or light meal ... with 5 kids I'm often on the run and if I don't eat regularly I start feeling ill then tend to overdo it. 200 calories is pretty reasonable for a snack, especially when it comes with 12-15 grams of protein. And then, there are times when I use them to help with a bit of a sweet craving. The nutrition in the bars are much better than a Snickers, for example. (Don't get me wrong, I love indulging in a Snickers bar, too, when my macros allow for it)

They also make a pretty good post-workout snack.

The basic point is that they can be a great tool to help you meet your goals. Work them into your calories and let them help you meet the protein goals, but don't look at them as a no-guilt treat or dessert. :wink:
  • stephanie_queen
    stephanie_queen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fruit is my go to. They are naturally sweet and still good for you (in moderation of course). Sometimes if I feeling really bad I have chocolate covered fruit for the extra 'yum'. Fruit is natures candy :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I haven't exactly had any sugar cravings after I bought a lot of sugar stuff to when I want my daily treat, but they make me nervous. I'm athletic and should b ok with the high sugar and carb intake but I still feel nervous about sweets and now these protein, energy bars. I hope I don't regret buying them

I'm a baker and would prefer something I made myself. However, I then have to find a way to give away (or freeze) some of the batch.

I've eaten Luna and Cliff bars before when I traveled and think they do make good convenient treats. This may very well be a good solution for you.
  • jissellc
    jissellc Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Something that helps satisfy my sweet tooth is the Dole Dippers. They are strawberries or bananas covered in chocolate. The strawberry pack is only 60 calories and the banana pack is 100 calories.
    https://www.dole.com/Products/Dippers/Strawberry-Dippers
    https://www.dole.com/Products/Dippers/Banana-Dippers

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

If you are over your maintenance calories....you will gain weight. It doesn't matter what the food is. Veggies can make you gain weight, if you eat enough of them.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I can't give them up either, but I was curious about these bars and see how good they were and if it's ok to have them as desserts. Very curious about the Clif Bars

Sure, BUT personally I would rather enjoy a reasonable portion of something a little less expensive! I have bought a quest bar now and again when I am craving them, but I'm planning to eat a little chocolate every night this week to practice true moderation every day.

As far as "good for dessert" they're fine! Just know that anything in moderation is fine. You could have a similar amount of calories in a bowl of ice cream and potentially be more satisfied, it just depends on how much YOU like the bars and what you prefer to eat!
  • christinaleigh44
    christinaleigh44 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You can eat 3 snack size pieces of Hershey's dark chocolate for 170 calories, just saying :)