Gym etiquette question

Options
I feel silly even asking because I've been going to the gym for a long time and can't figure it out. If I've been doing it wrong this whole time I'm going to feel bad.

When wiping down the machines after using them, is it acceptable to spray a towel with disinfectant and carry it from machine to machine, or should I get a new paper towel from the station across the gym floor after every machine, or go get the spray bottle and spray directly on the machine then wipe it off? I've done all of those, but in favor of saving a bit of time and to make sure nobody uses the machine while it's still sweaty and I'm off looking for spray and towels, I just usually carry my damp towel with me. I've googled this, but haven't found a specific answer. Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if I'm doing it wrong.

Replies

• ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    The gym I go to has spray bottles and towels at about every other machine. They also have signs asking people to spray the towel and not the machine. So I typically will spray the towel and go to whatever machine I want to wipe down. It may be different depending on the gym.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Thank you for caring about being courteous! Doesn't seem as common anymore, so I appreciate that you've taken the time to ask.

I agree with @ceckhardt369 as far as spraying the towel and not the machine. Too much moisture can damage them depending on the machine. How many times to use the same towel will depend on how much you're sweating, I'd say. No need to waste towels, but you do want to get the machines clean after use.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Our gym has moist towels that you pull out of a tube and they are perforated to break apart. I use one for all the machines I've used. If it dries out I will get another one to use. I used to go to a gym that had the spray bottles at every other machine. I sprayed one towel and used it the same way.
  • defatify
    defatify Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I feel much better now. I'm not a very sweaty person, so maybe maybe my damp paper towel routine is ok. I do switch them out if they get dry or don't seem to be doing anything besides giving the appearance of wiping down the stuff. Flu season and all. Gotta do my part.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,464 Member
    Options
    Honestly, given how lots of gym goers don't do any of your options, the fact you do any cleaning at all puts you well ahead of others.
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Honestly, given how lots of gym goers don't do any of your options, the fact you do any cleaning at all puts you well ahead of others.

That's so weird, in my gym, I see everyone spraying the machines/towels. Also see people wiping their free weights after they are done (which I do as well).

I do see the variation tho - spray machine, or spray the towel, but my gym people spray nonetheless. =)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    defatify wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback. I feel much better now. I'm not a very sweaty person, so maybe maybe my damp paper towel routine is ok. I do switch them out if they get dry or don't seem to be doing anything besides giving the appearance of wiping down the stuff. Flu season and all. Gotta do my part.

I do the wipe down thing because it's expected now. To be honest though, I've been going to public gyms for 40+ years, the wipe down with disinfectant has just been a thing for the last 20 or so. From my personal experience haven't noticed any difference in frequency of illness.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked because I've been wondering the same thing!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I don't care. The wiping down thing is so overdone that it's ridiculous. AFAIC, if you leave a noticeable sweat stain, wipe it off. If you don't, just get up and get out of my way. And now we're spraying and wiping down the free weights too?

Did the pandemic begin and I just haven't noticed?
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Wear a shirt, and eat clean so you don't sweat so much.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I usually wipe down equipment before I use it because no one at my gym seems to clean it afterwards.If I visibly sweat on it I'll wipe it down again but I'm primarily concerned about myself since no one else seems to give a rats *kitten* about it. I don't sweat much though. /shrug
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I spray the blue tissue roll the gym provides, wipe my sweat off, keep the tissue for the next machine.
    If I'm being honest I'm so non-germ-phobic that I'm mainly doing this to keep my fellow gym users happy. I wouldn't really care about using a machine someone else had sweated on. Pretty sure no-one except the staff are cleaning the kettlebells, the rowing machine handles, or that kind of thing, so I dunno how much it really does for hygiene.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I want people to wipe down just because I don't want to sit in a pool of someone else's sweat. Ick.

It has nothing to do with killing germs. The stuff they provide isn't strong enough to really help with that anyway given it's a spray and immediate swipe. It'd have to sit for a bit to help.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »

I think I've only seen a handful of people not wipe down the machines at my gym.

I tend to get a new towel each time because half the time it dries up before I'm done with the other machine.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    I don't care. The wiping down thing is so overdone that it's ridiculous. AFAIC, if you leave a noticeable sweat stain, wipe it off. If you don't, just get up and get out of my way. And now we're spraying and wiping down the free weights too?

Did the pandemic begin and I just haven't noticed?

I had the opportunity to workout in one of the more famous gyms in the US, home to a Mr Olympia winner, and other high level athletes. There wasn't a spray bottle or wet wipe in sight. There was group of EMTs working out when I was in there. These trained medical professionals didn't seem to be concerned about germs in there.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    As long as your not blocking the entire dumbbell rack doing side raises I could careless about some chemical that is more dangerous than sweat being left on a machine
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I thought the wiping down the machine was more about killing fungus and bacteria than viral infections.

Anyhow, I just carry around the same towel until I need a new one.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    As long as your not blocking the entire dumbbell rack doing side raises I could careless about some chemical that is more dangerous than sweat being left on a machine

Not sure if they're dangerous or not, (and I'm all for cleanliness), but I don't like when someone next to me cleans a cardio machine with WAY too much spray and I'm breathing in those fumes while trying to get in a tough cardio session. Sounds petty, now that I type it out, but it's hard to maintain my breathing pattern until those fumes dissipate.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I leave my weights and my bag there and go get the stuff- if it's not busy I take the bottle- if it's busy- I spray the towels and come back. I only use 2 machines ever- so it's not an issue. Barbell's don't need cleaning unless you bleed all over them.

I wouldn't use your towel and spray it once and keep coming back. - if you're using a towel-make sure it's big enough and then put it down so it's a barrier- but make sure you aren't flip flopping sides.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Not sure if they're dangerous or not, (and I'm all for cleanliness), but I don't like when someone next to me cleans a cardio machine with WAY too much spray and I'm breathing in those fumes while trying to get in a tough cardio session. Sounds petty, now that I type it out, but it's hard to maintain my breathing pattern until those fumes dissipate.

I would be mad about that, too. Not petty, it's distracting, you're in your zone and someone is messing with your breathing.