Tummy Troubles

Options
I don't really know how to explain it, but I'll do my best and maybe someone here who has had a similar experience can help.

I often have what I refer to as "tummy troubles." It's a pain/discomfort in my stomach, sometimes accompained by chills, that lasts for a couple of hours after I have eaten. Many times I am bloated as well. Sometimes I can only seem to eat a small amount of food before I become full, and if I eat over that amount, I'm in trouble.

I thought perhaps I was becoming lactose intolerant so I stopped drinking milk and replaced it with soymilk. I am still consuming some low/no lactose dairy products as these don't seem to be a problem. But, right now, I am sitting here with my "tummy troubles" as miserable as ever.

Anyone ever experienced anything like this?

Replies

• katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I would definitely see a doctor. I have IBS but that doesn't sound like IBS to me. Could be Celiac's disease? Gallstones? I would call your doc!!
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Do you have GERD?
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    c a dr
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It could be a gluten allergy or intollerance. Do you notice it happening more when you eat foods made with wheat? If so, try going gluten free for a few days and see if it improves.
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    Options
    Sounds like Celiac. Try stuff that is gluten free for a couple of days.
  • raychybabe
    raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and I sometimes get GERD (really bad heartburn, indigestion, burning sensation in chest/throat, feeling something stuck).

My IBS makes me bloated, stomach cramps (not too dissimilar to period pains but in your tummy), feverishness.

Its not really diagnosed as such, as theres no real cause, so its just a collective term for a bunch of symptoms. I cut out wheat as that made it worse, so worse! So now I dont eat bread, or pizza, or wheat pasta. Its improved a great deal. I also have meberverin tablets to take before meals I think will set me off, and I buy buscopan to help with cramps if they set in.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Do you have GERD?

No, no GERD.
  • cargotrailer
    cargotrailer Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Acute Pancreatitis will cause pain and bloated feeling after eating.
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I used to get this when I ate too much. REALLY severe stomach pains that would last for hours. You might have a bacterial stomach. But I would go to the doctor just to be sure.

Also, soy milk really isn't very good for us, it messes with your hormones. Might I suggest Almond Milk instead? Blue Diamond Unsweeted Vanilla is 40 Calories a cup!

Best of luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't want to scare you but feeling bloated and loss of appetite can also be the first noticable signs of ovarian cancer.

http://blogs.webmd.com/heart-disease/2007/12/4-early-signs-of-ovarian-cancer.html
  • Vkoons3
    Vkoons3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems almost exactly and there are even times when I will wake up in the morning and I feel so full that if I were to eat anything else I would literally be sick. I have been to the doctor numerous times for this and they told me I have IBS but not so sure that is really what it is and I have literally tried everything they have told me to do and nothing seems to help so not really sure wish I could help more but I do know what you are going through and quite honestly for me anyway it makes it harder to eat good food because of how I feel afterward.
  • BohemianDestiny
    BohemianDestiny Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My sister has IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) and I read your post to her. She says it sounds a lot like what she's experienced, and thinks that you should look it up on something like WebMD. I also think you should go see your doctor.

By the way, my aunt has Celiac and it also sounds like it could be that. I agree with Shalma, try eating gluten free meals for a couple of days (if you can) and see if that helps.

Regardless of all this, though, go see doctor, hun.
  • katt742
    Options
    I have IBS and I sometimes get GERD (really bad heartburn, indigestion, burning sensation in chest/throat, feeling something stuck).

My IBS makes me bloated, stomach cramps (not too dissimilar to period pains but in your tummy), feverishness.

Its not really diagnosed as such, as theres no real cause, so its just a collective term for a bunch of symptoms. I cut out wheat as that made it worse, so worse! So now I dont eat bread, or pizza, or wheat pasta. Its improved a great deal. I also have meberverin tablets to take before meals I think will set me off, and I buy buscopan to help with cramps if they set in.

I have IBS too!!! lol...sorry, but Ive never met anyone with it. Everyone just thinks Im crazy. Nice to know Im not alone!

Don't you just love how the doctors say "its IBS-nothing we can do" grrr!
  • Vkoons3
    Vkoons3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't want to scare you but feeling bloated and loss of appetite can also be the first noticable signs of ovarian cancer.

http://blogs.webmd.com/heart-disease/2007/12/4-early-signs-of-ovarian-cancer.html

I have heard this too and often wonder if that may be the problem
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Depending what you're eating before it happens, it could be gall stones. I have been having severe pains and bloating that last for hours after eating fatty or fried foods (which I rarely do - that's why I know the connection). I'm seeing the doctor on Monday. Also, there seems to be a connection with gall stones and losing weight rapidly.
  • raychybabe
    raychybabe Posts: 121 Member
    Options

I have IBS too!!! lol...sorry, but Ive never met anyone with it. Everyone just thinks Im crazy. Nice to know Im not alone!

haha yeah, its because they don't really know what causes it, and its so different for each person. I have mine quite controlled now as I know what sets me off. Once I caved and ate an english muffin and was crying with pain afterwards - so not worth it!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Not sure, but when it happens stretch back and start below your ribs and rub clockwise down to your pelvic bone and back up. it will help it pass. You may have to go to the bathroom shortly afterwards. ULTIMATE BELLY ACHE SOLUTION!! It may also be an ulcer anywhere in your digestive track. Go see a doctor.
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    The only sure-fire way I know of to find out what specific foods or food groups are bothering you is to do the elimination diet by Dax Moy for a month. Google it. DO it. You'll never regret it.

When in doubt, see a doctor.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me before I realized I had a gluten allergy.
  • katt742
    Options

haha yeah, its because they don't really know what causes it, and its so different for each person. I have mine quite controlled now as I know what sets me off. Once I caved and ate an english muffin and was crying with pain afterwards - so not worth it!

It sucks. I was in pain and bloated for years before they finally tested me and came to IBS.

lol, I know what you mean...I actually have to watch how many veggies I eat...too much fiber causes me pain. And yummy yummy bread. *sigh* fried food...pasta...you know, all the good stuff!