Good looking people get treated better?

Options

Replies

• synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    sith78 wrote: »
    Not only do better looking people get treated better. They face fewer consequences than less attractive people. I know a woman who doesn't even have to work. Smh

I don't work. I guess it is true! hahahahaha :p

and I've seen shows that illustrate studies that show this to be true.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    it's called the Halo Effect in psychology.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Confidence is key but looks certainly play a part. I've experienced several sides of this debate. As a young woman, I was thin and attractive (or at least I was told I was). I got job opportunities because of my looks, not my background. I was hired off the street to be in a local tv program weekly with no previous experience. Fast forward after two children and an accident that resulted in multiple surgeries. Suddenly, I was 5'9" and 200 pounds instead of 128. I was forgotten in restaurants, overlooked for deserved promotions and stopped being invited to many functions. Then, I got serious and started working out again. Now, I feel like my self confidence has more to do with the way I am treated than my weight or my looks.
  • burning2much
    burning2much Posts: 4,846 Member
    Options
    Both confidence and looks help but one usually come with the other.
  • burning2much
    burning2much Posts: 4,846 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

All the beautiful women I know are very insecure

It's true....maybe you can help me with breaking me out of my shell
  • undergloom
    undergloom Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I treat good-looking people like garbage just to help balance it out. You're welcome.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I don't know. I think some people could try to do a better selfie.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I think that the only thing that tops hot people is boobs. Show cleavage and it doesn't matter what you look like.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, unfair but true.
  • PTSDUK
    PTSDUK Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    I think that the only thing that tops hot people is boobs. Show cleavage and it doesn't matter what you look like.

I've tried showing my moobs, but doesnt have the same effect
  • GibsonSG_67
    GibsonSG_67 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    As Homer (Simpson) would say "it's a scientific fact!!"
  • jrevis001
    jrevis001 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Yep. I've been passed up for jobs because of my weight. I've also been shown favoritism because the boss was into me. But having connections is way more beneficial.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Sadly, this happens often
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

All the beautiful women I know are very insecure

This was one of the most surprising things I ever learned, but the most attractive women I've known have also been the most insecure. Still don't understand WHY, but from what I've seen this is very true.

I wouldn't say all of the most attractive women I've known are like this but I would say 90% of them are.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    There isn't a way I can say this without sounding conceited, so I'm just going to say it.

Yes, it's true, and I know, because I've been at both ends of the spectrum.
    I've been the 225 pound girl who everyone ignores, or is flat-out disgustingly rude to.
    And I've been (am) the slimmer version of that girl, who people react positively to, notice when she walks in rooms, and is typically smiley and polite to.

People didn't used to be smiley and polite to me when I was big. I had a lot of judgmental attitudes thrown at me, catty remarks, the works. Now, it's a whole other story.

So not only are there studies that agree with this statement, but per my own personal experience.. It's absolutely true, as sad as that may be.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Yes Absolutely

100000000000%
  • DrFever100
    DrFever100 Posts: 5,899 Member
    Options
    Treat everyone with respect and the same as you would want to be treated and these conversations won't be relevant
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Absolutely, both studies and personal experiences can say absolutely yes. Beautiful people are treated better.

I have this absolutely intoxicating friend who has this amazing affect on both men and women, and she just refuses to see that beauty marginalizes people. She thinks her experiences has nothing to do with her beauty.
  • Mrj183
    Mrj183 Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    generally people kind of assume pretty people are stupid.