What is the recommended daily amount of Protein ?? How do you work out yours?

Options
Having been a member of myfitnesspal for some time, I recently read an article by Will Owen about the benefits of eating Protein and how this can contribute to weight loss as well as repairing muscle! Hey Win win :) ...... however he went on to say that a person weighing in at 180lbs (me) should be looking at eating around 180g of protein per day.....Ok got it but now I'm confused because....

Myfitnesspal kindly calculates my daily intake (bearing in mind I'm eating at a deficit) at 70g per day, yet another article I recently read, and yes there's a lot out there, decided the Recommended Daily Allowance was 46g per day for a Female and 56g for a male.......

Why does it have to be so complicated and contradictory so please guys and gals how do you work out yours??

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    MFP uses the well accepted % of calorie approach -- 50% Carbs, 20% fat, Protein 20%-- which is consistent with "accepted science." As far as "complications", it all depends on what sources you choose to trust. You want to follow a body builder like Owen, good for you. You want to go with USDA recommendations, good for you. THink Critically! Read multiple sources! Make up your own mind! And once you do, go into "Goals" and set your goals consistent with the sources you choose to follow http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-kitchen-11/how-much-protein http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/how-much-protein-do-you-need-every-day-201506188096
  • joshuajdouce
    joshuajdouce Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You can adjust the sliders on MFP so if you want to eat more protein just adjust the sliders easy to keep tracks thats what i have done as i am on a high protein diet at the moment. All depends on your goals though just a little tip for you if you choose to change your macros :)
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    If your working out with weights use .8 per body pound 180 x .8= 144 grams protein and .4 x 180= 72 grams of fat if not working out with weights use .6 grams x 180 = 108 grams protein and 54 grams Fat fill the rest of your calories in with anything you want too..

you can consume 180 grams of protein just understand that 36 of those grams will more than likely be used for their caloric value not so much their muscle retention/building qualities so if you want more fat or carbs or alcohol adjust those 144 calories to them. My 2 cents
  • laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm a dietitian, and for healthy people we recommend 0.8-1.0 g/kg body weight. So, divide your weight by 2.2 and that's about how many gm you want to aim for. Obviously, when dieting some people prefer to adjust their macros, but that's a good baseline.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    First, any formula that specifies an amount per pound of bodyweight, is wrong. Calculations are to be based on LEAN BODYWEIGHT" - ie: muscle only. So you need to first deduct your body fat. Once you have your lean bodyweight, multiply by .6 for the minimum daily amount, up to a max of 1 gram per pound LEAN body mass.
    A good starting point might be .8 per lbs Lean Body mass. :)
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm a dietitian, and for healthy people we recommend 0.8-1.0 g/kg body weight. So, divide your weight by 2.2 and that's about how many gm you want to aim for. Obviously, when dieting some people prefer to adjust their macros, but that's a good baseline.

Fianlly, ☝!
    I work with about 14 dietitians and they always laugh at how much protein people think they need or dont. This is exactly what I learned in school as well. No sense on over kill, plus protein is the most expensive macro. Seems to have worked well for me and I've maintained a healthy muscle mass over a 100+ pound weight loss. But do what makes you feel good, as long as too much protein is not contraindicated to your health.
  • taraskylit
    taraskylit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I bodybuild, but stick to 0.8g/lb.
    If you are over-weight, use LBM.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yes, I follow the lean body mass model. You really don't need to 'maintain' the fat!
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I don't agree with this at all for people who want to do more than just be in the norm.. I would be curious what a Dietitian recommends for Carb intake if all of a sudden were using grams per lb or kg as well as fats if you would??

Thank you

I'm 185 lbs if I divide that by 2.2 its 84 grams of protein NOT .8-1 grams per pound of body weight which seems to be from what I have read in numerous studies the maximum amount of protein our bodies can utilize in a day. I typically try to keep my protein above 148 grams which is .8 x 185 lbs my current weight because I want my muscles to have all the protein they might benefit from in any given day. Going over 50 grams of protein doesn't hurt your health or hamper your health because nutrition for weight gain or loss is still Calorie based as long as you get enough fat as well..

On another note- My fat levels are 74 grams a day .4 x 185lbs so fat and protein calories added up are 1258. That means I still need to eat an additional 1000+ calories a day just to stay at maintenance which I can guarantee won't all be Carbs more than likely a little more fat, protein and a 100 grams of carbs or so..

My 2 cents from a VERY ACTIVE Healthy guy:)
  • Sonj1973
    Sonj1973 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks I really appreciate all your comments, feedback and links for further reading! My Goals are to lose weight, increase/maintain muscle and get lean. I'm currently sat at 180lbs I'm pretty active, I do a lot of cardio (swimming, running and walking) but I'm not getting the results I want! So I'm thinking I need to change how I train, maybe some resistance training, kettle bell workouts, weights and interval training, at the same time ensure I'm feeding my body the right nutrients. I'm not looking at becoming muscular, but I'd like to be lean..... I'm hitting 42 the weight gains been increasing slowly over the last 5 years and I'm struggling to shift it, and believe me I'm trying!!

Once again thanks for the feedback :)

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    They recommend .8g/kg of healthy body weight/day. So, technically, if you're seriously obese, the number doesn't have to go way up. But if you're really obese, you need more calories and some of them will be coming from protein.

I aim for my .8g/kg/day, but don't usually hit it. I just don't like foods with protein very much.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm 185 lbs if I divide that by 2.2 its 84 grams of protein NOT .8-1 grams per pound of body weight which seems to be from what I have read in numerous studies the maximum amount of protein our bodies can utilize in a day. I typically try to keep my protein above 148 grams which is .8 x 185 lbs my current weight because I want my muscles to have all the protein they might benefit from in any given day. Going over 50 grams of protein doesn't hurt your health or hamper your health because nutrition for weight gain or loss is still Calorie based as long as you get enough fat as well..

On another note- My fat levels are 74 grams a day .4 x 185lbs so fat and protein calories added up are 1258. That means I still need to eat an additional 1000+ calories a day just to stay at maintenance which I can guarantee won't all be Carbs more than likely a little more fat, protein and a 100 grams of carbs or so..

My 2 cents from a VERY ACTIVE Healthy guy:)

If you haven't seen it already, Eric Helms (a sports performance researcher and bodybuilder) published an interesting study regarding the efficacy of different levels of protein intake. The full-text version can be found here (hope the link works!). It's been discussed pretty extensively on the Facebook groups for both Bodyrecomposition.com and International Society of Sports Nutrition (both of which are great resources to discuss and keep up on performance/nutrition topics, btw).

tl;dr version of his conclusion:
    Protein needs for energy-restricted resistance-trained athletes are likely 2.3–3.1g/kg of FFM, scaled upwards with severity of caloric restriction and leanness.

("FFM" being fat-free mass, or lean body mass - not total bodyweight).
  • seanmmcafee
    seanmmcafee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that it should be .8 - 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. So if a fit girl at 5'4" is about 125lbs with 15% bodyfat. That would make her lean body mass around 106 lbs, so 84-106 grams of protein a day.

Wouldn't it be safe to say any girl at 5'4" (at any weight) should consume about the same because they would typically have the same lean body mass whether they weigh 125 or 300?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Sonj1973 wrote: »
    Having been a member of myfitnesspal for some time, I recently read an article by Will Owen about the benefits of eating Protein and how this can contribute to weight loss as well as repairing muscle! Hey Win win :) ...... however he went on to say that a person weighing in at 180lbs (me) should be looking at eating around 180g of protein per day.....Ok got it but now I'm confused because....

Myfitnesspal kindly calculates my daily intake (bearing in mind I'm eating at a deficit) at 70g per day, yet another article I recently read, and yes there's a lot out there, decided the Recommended Daily Allowance was 46g per day for a Female and 56g for a male.......

Why does it have to be so complicated and contradictory so please guys and gals how do you work out yours??

that is just the default macro setting on MFP...you can change it to whatever you want.

1 gram of protein per Lb of body weight is excessive IMO.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    People eating at deficit need more protein that people eating at maintenance to preserve muscle mass.

.65 - .85 grams per pound of body weight, not per kg.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I've always heard that it should be .8 - 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. So if a fit girl at 5'4" is about 125lbs with 15% bodyfat. That would make her lean body mass around 106 lbs, so 84-106 grams of protein a day.

Wouldn't it be safe to say any girl at 5'4" (at any weight) should consume about the same because they would typically have the same lean body mass whether they weigh 125 or 300?

Roughly, yeah, although there are outliers.

I approach it like you, and think of it as .8-1 g/LBM or .65-.85 g/lb of goal bodyweight (assuming the goal will be reasonably lean).

This is not the amount necessary for health (which is a lot less), but the amount that has been shown to have possible benefits for maintaining muscle mass while eating at a deficit, for gaining muscle, and for athletic performance/improvement in at least some sports. It works for me in part because I find I feel more satisfied in general and better eating a bit more protein. And not losing (and eventually gaining) muscle is important to me, and I've never been someone who puts on muscle easily.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

I guess the second question would depend highly on what people consider typical. Personally I think that even if we take out the extreme ends of muscle mass based on height, that percentage of lean body mass still varies quite a bit person to person.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'd be interested in @laurahutch21 opinion on this summary piece and the source research regarding the oft quoted 0.64-0.8g protein per lb bodyweight

Admittedly this comes from the opposite side of disputing the 1g per lb bodyweight

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Also the concept that in defecit those following progressive resistance programmes need more than the standard recommendation
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'd be interested in @laurahutch21 opinion on this summary piece and the source research regarding the oft quoted 0.64-0.8g protein per lb bodyweight

Admittedly this comes from the opposite side of disputing the 1g per lb bodyweight

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

Also the concept that in defecit those following progressive resistance programmes need more than the standard recommendation

In all fairness @laurahutch21 she did state that her stated recommendations were to be used as a baseline. It seems a subject that is often controversial to begin with, but without really nailing down the specifics of what a person is doing as per fitness goals, it seems natural that the numbers grow farther and farther apart as we (those of us providing opinions) assume various ends of the possibilities.