Carbs

Options
I've been doing my research and have come across differing opinions on whether you should worry more about Macros and cutting carbs or simply eat in a deficit. I'm wondering what you all's opinions on this topic may be. Some people have told me that because I'm an "endomorph" I will likely have great difficulty or may not be able to lose weight at all if I don't go low carb. I'm measuring everything I eat and counting calories...should I also worry about staying under a certain percentage of carbs?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    buy a digital kitchen scale, weigh the food you eat to make sure your calorie goals are on target. Some people find they're happier and more satisfied on lower-carb diets, but in the end, 99.9% of your weightloss will be due to eating fewer calories than you use to live.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Somatypes have been debunked. You don't need to go low carb because of any supposed body type you have.

Macro distribution comes down to personal preference and what you find satiating -- after you ensure that you're getting enough protein and fat. You should, since you'll be eating at a deficit and want to preserve muscle mass, consume .65 - .85 grams per pound of bodyweight of protein and .35 - .45 grams per pound of bodyweight of fat.

After that? Spend the rest of your calories how you wish and in a way that keeps you feeling fullest. If that's low carb or high carb is up to you.

The important thing is to have your calorie intake correct, and as WBB55 mentioned, getting a digital food scale will help you do that.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Best of success with finding a plan that works for you. There is nothing magical about cutting the carbs.

I can share what I finally did over a year ago after 40 years of yo yo dieting ending fatter every time.

13 months ago I cut out all grains/grain related products and most all foods containing sugars. That was a strange animal but after many missteps I got it figured out. While I did lose some weight over the last year the best part was my pain levels took a nose dive after the first 30 days and has not returned. Then the prediabetic conditions when away as well as my long term IBS.

To stay in nutritional ketosis I have to eat <50 grams of carbs daily. If one is eating 300 and drops down to just 150 carbs that can be a huge plus. <150 grams is called low carb when <50 grams of carbs is called Very Low Carb High Fat. My current macro is like 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fat. You will have to overcome the false teachings that saturated fats are bad for your long term health because the opposite is medically factual based on the research of the past 10 years and prior to 1970.

It makes me excited to see young people to start eating for health before you wreck your bodies like I did living on mainly carbs until I was 63.

Again best of success.
  • rsshumway
    rsshumway Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Scientific literature if often misquotedand taken out if context in terms of low carb-diets. Studies DO show short term weight loss advantages to low-carb diets, however over a year's time all but one or two showed no difference. I get this from a metanalasys done. Body type may play minuscule role in weight loss, but again, thus is only a theory and has no scientific support. Micronutrients are important. Too much saturated fat is not healthy, nor are refined carbs or red meat. Dont worry about little details people say about blood type, body type, eating at times of day. It is possible that those things make a difference, but it is so small that you would be better off worrying about something else.

The overwhelming majority of scientific literature (not people who say they did research or heard about it, but actual journals of nutrition) shows that whole grains are beneficial for health. How much carbs/protein/fats depends on how much you think is a good balance. I would have a really hard time eating only 30% carbs each day. Right now I am at about 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat, but this has taken awhile to work it out. It is trial and error, but using the tracking app is absolutely important in doing this.

Bottom line: a food scale can help (as mentioned above,) don't worry about your body type, just be in a caloric deficit by not eating as much. If you find it is hard, then do some more exercise which can help with hunger and also give you more wiggle room. Track every morsel of food and celebrate every single day when you meet your calorie goals! If macro's arent perfect, don't worry. The most important thing is calories.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest do what you've started and see what the scale tells you in a couple weeks. The amount of carbs is here nor there for weight loss. If you haven't lost anything in a couple weeks, you can adjust your calories. But don't drop below 1,200 calories a day.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I am currently eating at 1800 calories and exercising 30 minutes per day 5 days per week doing high intensity interval plyometrics with weight training incorporated. I just started this exercising about 1.5 weeks ago and have seen the scale halt completely but I can tell I'm still making progress because I'm also taking measurements and those are going down. I am a vegetarian and so carbs are fairly essential to get enough protein. I was struggling to lose weight prior to starting the exercises as well and a friend said that I should cut carbs down to 25%. I found that to be impossible.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I think you've done very well to work out this plan. I also found that weight loss stalled when I started exercising vigorously. But like you, I was seeing benefits in other places so I kept at it. Over time, sustained exercise gives you more leeway with calories.

As for your friend, grin and bear it. Lots of people have whackadoo ideas about weight loss and it's nearly impossible to dissuade them. Let them work it out for themselves, as you lose your weight your way.
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I think you've done very well to work out this plan. I also found that weight loss stalled when I started exercising vigorously. But like you, I was seeing benefits in other places so I kept at it. Over time, sustained exercise gives you more leeway with calories.

As for your friend, grin and bear it. Lots of people have whackadoo ideas about weight loss and it's nearly impossible to dissuade them. Let them work it out for themselves, as you lose your weight your way.

How long did it take you to start seeing the scale move again? I'm happy with the inches lost but would be lying if i said I don't get disappointed seeing the scale still stuck.
  • ditsyblond17
    ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    taracan25 wrote: »

How long did it take you to start seeing the scale move again? I'm happy with the inches lost but would be lying if i said I don't get disappointed seeing the scale still stuck.

What does MFP say you should be eating calorie wise? Are you eating back the calories you burn from rigorous movement?
  • jgnatca
    Options

Hate to say it, a couple months. But your results may be different. If you are just starting to lose weight, you may see results sooner.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Comment - If you are losing inches and getting smaller, then who cares what the scale says? Don't fall victim to a number, ESPECIALLY when you are clearly making great progress according to the tape measure! Take photos and assess how you feel in clothes, too. Keep things in perspective and don't go crazy over the scale. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @taracan25 just do what seems possible today. You are very young so time is on your side. My 18 year old daughter wants to look at going lower carb for health reasons. After she has read some in Dr. William Davis's book called Wheat Belly Total Health she is only working to cut out carbs from wheat and wheat related products. If she can not do that then low carbing can never work for her I expect. Wheat seems to be the main source for us craving stuff with a lot of sugar. Wheat can cause the leaky gut problem for 99.9% of the population per some doctors.

You may have to stay higher carbs on vegetables and other choices of low glycemic foods. Are eggs and dairy milk products on or off your food options?

My first cup of coffee of the day is 800 calories. 500 are from organic coconut oil and 300 from Heavy Whipping Cream. I do eat cheese and cottage cheese but do not drink milk normally. The only meat I normally eat is three strips of bacon when I have three fried eggs. I have to watch eating meat because it can push me too high on protein since half of protein can get converted to sugar (glucose).

Take your time and use Google often. I moved to Chrome for the feature where I just have to highlight the word or groups of words and click to search for what it means on the fly.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I am currently eating at 1800 calories and exercising 30 minutes per day 5 days per week doing high intensity interval plyometrics with weight training incorporated. I just started this exercising about 1.5 weeks ago and have seen the scale halt completely but I can tell I'm still making progress because I'm also taking measurements and those are going down. I am a vegetarian and so carbs are fairly essential to get enough protein. I was struggling to lose weight prior to starting the exercises as well and a friend said that I should cut carbs down to 25%. I found that to be impossible.
    Typically, when you start an exercise program (or significantly change one to be more strenuous), you can see some water retention that will temporarily mask weight loss. How long that takes to resolve can really vary, but I'd give it 4-6 weeks(ish). However...are you eating back your exercise calories, and if so, how are you measuring how many calories you're burning? (Are you getting the totals from MFP, the exercise machine, etc.?) Both MFP's estimate and what you'll get from machines can be inflated, so you may inadvertently be eating back more calories than you're burning.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

My mind is boggling trying to picture what a day of 25% carbs would look like for a vegetarian...

@PeachyCarol @shell1005 what are your macros?
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    I have since changed my macros and put carbs at 40%. It doesn't change the fact that I still get most of my carbs from veggies and fruit with a few other complex carb sources, like beans, in there. I do NOT eat back my exercise calories. I have also not been too terribly worried if I go over the 40% carbs.

I'm thinking that since this exercise routine is so new to me and I have not been doing vigorous exercise previously, it may very well be water that is masking my weight loss.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    You're a smart gal. I like you. If you don't have a partner yet, be choosy. Make sure it will be someone who "gets" you.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Best of success with finding a plan that works for you. There is nothing magical about cutting the carbs.

I can share what I finally did over a year ago after 40 years of yo yo dieting ending fatter every time.

13 months ago I cut out all grains/grain related products and most all foods containing sugars. That was a strange animal but after many missteps I got it figured out. While I did lose some weight over the last year the best part was my pain levels took a nose dive after the first 30 days and has not returned. Then the prediabetic conditions when away as well as my long term IBS.

To stay in nutritional ketosis I have to eat <50 grams of carbs daily. If one is eating 300 and drops down to just 150 carbs that can be a huge plus. <150 grams is called low carb when <50 grams of carbs is called Very Low Carb High Fat. My current macro is like 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fat. You will have to overcome the false teachings that saturated fats are bad for your long term health because the opposite is medically factual based on the research of the past 10 years and prior to 1970.

It makes me excited to see young people to start eating for health before you wreck your bodies like I did living on mainly carbs until I was 63.

Again best of success.

Am I remembering incorrectly that you have ankylosing spondylitis?

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    @peachycarol is smart. Everything she said!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I have since changed my macros and put carbs at 40%. It doesn't change the fact that I still get most of my carbs from veggies and fruit with a few other complex carb sources, like beans, in there. I do NOT eat back my exercise calories. I have also not been too terribly worried if I go over the 40% carbs.

I'm thinking that since this exercise routine is so new to me and I have not been doing vigorous exercise previously, it may very well be water that is masking my weight loss.

Spot on

Just be patient

My macros have always been around 50% -60% carbs and I've had zero issues losing or maintaining

But I only focus on my protein aiming for 100g minimum

I should pay more attention to my fat minimum tbh
  • tara_means_star
    Options
    You're a smart gal. I like you. If you don't have a partner yet, be choosy. Make sure it will be someone who "gets" you.

Awww, thanks! I am married to a pretty great guy who I would say gets me for the most part and enjoys the fact that there is still stuff he doesn't get yet :tongue: