Is that.... fruit?!?!

Options
Hello my fellow fitness pals :) I have an inquiry on fruit!

At the beginning of the week I went shopping for some fruit. I wound up getting a variety of things, but what I have the most difficulty with are the melons or skinned fruit. For instance, this morning I went to cut open one of the grapefruits I had purchased and GROSS it was dried and shriveled on the inside!

I don't know about you all, but that's almost enough to turn me away from grapefruit for awhile! So is biting into that one gross grape of the bunch or cutting open an orange to find almost no juice. So please help! I don't want to hate grapefruit or cantelope or oranges because I truly love them (when they're good!)

So does anyone have a trick up their sleeve on picking out the good fruit? (especially grapefruit, oranges, cantelope, and watermelons)

Replies

• oBirdieo
    oBirdieo Posts: 148
    Options
    I go by weight -- always get the heaviest oranges or melons you can find.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I love big melons. Take that however you want.
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If you purchased it from a grocery store, I would recommend returning it! Most stand by the quality of their produce and will gladly accept the return.
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I always go by weight for the size -- supposed to mean more juice. Makes sense to me :wink:
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Only buy what's in season.
    Best bet for the juciest and most flavorful.
    I'm sure if you google it you'll find what in season when...
  • MissAmyB80
    MissAmyB80 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

LMAO!!!!
  • kitkat536
    kitkat536 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Smelling where their stems were seems to be the best trick for melons. Hardly ever will you find a bad watermelon, but cantelope is tricky. If it smells strong, it's good. If you can't smell much, it's on it's way out.
    Grapefruits are more on the weight side from my experience. They tend to be a bit heaviver if they are full of juice.

7489042.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • pital74
    pital74 Posts: 14
    Options
    Heavy fruit has more juice. Buy in season...it is usually cheaper and better. I found, when it is expensive you should buy something else...usually a bad crop and it won't task good anyway...save your money!!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Yes. You can smell the cut end of a cantaloupe and it should smell sweet and melon-y. Citrus should be firm and feel heavy for their size. There is something about the way you thump on a watermelon and the sound it makes that should tell you it's ripe, but I can't remember what it is. The most important thing is buying fruit in season. Other than that, you may get stuff that just doesn't taste right to you, however, you can ALWAYS take it back to the market and get your money back. Don't let the chance of it not being good keep you from eating delicious food that is good for you. For me, I think grapefruit is always a gamble. You just NEVER know if it's going to be bitter.

Also, when buying grapes or cherries in the market -- eat one first! You can also ask an employee id they've had any fruit from that particular shipment. A lot of times they'll cut one open for you.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I agree with you! I hate it when I get bad fruit...

With cantalope I always press in the end and then smell it - if it smells sweet and good like a cantalope should, I buy it. I rarely have any bad ones anymore. Watermelon I just learned! I now look for one that has a large patch of white or yellow on one side - it means it has sat for awhile and ripened up. I now always, always get the perfect watermelons!!

AND the oddest thing I have discovered with oranges. Normally I hand pick them and I do try to get ones with big navels and heavy. A few months ago Winco had a 5lb bag on sale for like $3.98 and I figured I would give it a try. EACH and every one of those oranges were the best. I've now been buying them in the bag, prechosen by someone else and love them. Sometimes I will eat 3 or 4 oranges a day.
  • iwlizz
    iwlizz Posts: 39 Member
    Options

:laugh: :blushing: :happy:
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    A few people have already mentioned buying fruits and veggies that are in season, but buying local is also the way to go. If you have a farmer's market anywhere near your home, this is the jackpot! You can often get produce that is much fresher, travelled much less distance, and for a much better price than at the grocery store. I don't know if it's just a mental thing or what, but I always think it tastes better too. :-)
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Smell the "bellybutton" of the melons (lol)
    Also weight like others have said.
    Or ask the produce guys :)
    I usually buy from the local market or farmers market, instead of chain store. They ship theirs in from all over and are a week old before you get to em. But local ones are fresh :)!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Do NOT buy unripe peaches. They will not ripen, they WILL get soft, but that is just rotting. I gave up on grocery store peaches and now will only buy at farmer's markets. OMG they are soooo good. My fave, but very elusive in this area is the Canadian Harmony. ONe bite and the juice was dripping off my elbow!
  • CrazyAdventure
    CrazyAdventure Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!! This was VERY helpful!! I'll do some research to see if there is a farmers' market nearby!