sooo i like to drink

Options
So, I like to drink onve or twice a week. I only really drink white wine and can/will drink 3-6 glasses (5 oz-ish a glass) a week. (ok sometimes more) Every time I drink I plateau for at least 7 days, it's bizarre. It usually does bring me over my calorie count bc I don't starve myself in order to drink, I'd rather make sure I'm fed to have something to absorb it.What's up with this??? Any ideas? It's summer and I want to have fun once in awhile but every time it really screws me up!

Replies

• TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Not to sure about wine, but I know I only drink low calorie beer.. For example Budweiser has a 50 cal. beer which is my favorite.. LoL
  • BJC78
    BJC78 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's y im stuck? I e definitely indulged a few times in the last couple weeks ;)
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    drink vodka with low cal - zero cals drinks....like diet soda or crystal light....
  • ACF2
    ACF2 Posts: 51
    Options
    Heres the problem- the alcohol and sugars in white wine and ANY booze will do 2 things- first of all the empty calories store up quickly (put em in your MFP and see!) and wont allow your body to use the water you should be drinking to break down food and burn calories- secondly any booze has lots of not only sugar but ALSO salt! you know that bloated fat *kitten* feeling you get after a few too many the next morning? there you go.
    As a former Professional drinker i did tons of research on this and found only one solution-which sucks- stop drink in if you want to lose continuous weight. period. Heres the good new! once you're at goal weight you can resume in moderation! Unfortunately there really is no other way around it you big lushes! have fun %^)

*Just a note- I gave up booze for 2 months and lost 20 lbs! not that hard
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I also love white wines, and it has been a challenge for me too. I have made a few adjustments over time and there are a few things that have helped me. I do consume less calories throughout the days I really want wine or I know I will be going to a function or friend's where I may drink wine. I eat less throughout the day I want to drink wine, but I do not skip meals, like say dinner, so I am not drinking on an empty stomach. I also adjust my calories for the week to allow a little wiggle room to go over some days (not always successfully lol). My goal is to keep my net weekly calories within 100 calories of my goal (It may help with your week-long plateaus) I also do an extra cardio workout to help, especially the day of or after I drink wine. Another good idea may be to switch to some mixed drinks some of the time. Your body does not absorb the calories in vodka, gin, or whiskey. (tequila may be on that list but I do not remember 100%). Avoid rum. Drink a lot of water. I find it helpful to drink a glass of wine and then a glass of water. Water does not make you sober up, but keeps you from bloating and keeps away headaches. I recommend eating at least an hour before drinking and not snacking with alcohol because your body will store those calories when processing the alcohol. You can also make low -calorie mixed drinks with diet sodas and crystal light or diet juices. There are so many fun, delicious and low-calorie mixed drinks to make, especially with girlfriends :). I also try to keep in that wine is like sugar and calorie- packed grape juice when I drink it.
  • rockthehourglass
    rockthehourglass Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Your body does not absorb the calories in vodka, gin, or whiskey. (tequila may be on that list but I do not remember 100%).

Ummm. Pretty sure that's not true.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    St. Pattys day I had 10 drinks, and hit my first plateau for 2weeks. Warning: Every answer im about to give you did not help me.

Dont drink diet pop because the chemicals, caffeine, and sodium will help bloat you and dehydrate you, helping you gain weight.

Alcohol dehydrates your system; so you need to drink tons of water. Take your weight, divide it in 2--that is the number of ounces your suppose to drink in a day for your body weight... if your suppose to drink 12cups, drink 20 that day

Allot extra calories for your alcohol so it doesnt make you go over. Put in an extra work out, eat lighter, etc etc etc. Have a salad for lunch instead of a sandwich, have a apple for breakfast instead of cereal... dont have to starve yourself, just choose lower calorie items.

Do NOT eat while drinking. 1 drink lowers your metabolism by 25%. By drink 2, youve lowered it to 50%... by drink 5, you have no metabolism.. Your body treats alcohol as a poison and it sits there trying to fight away the alcohol and not food. Eat before you drink and wait a while.

Since your a wine drinker, the following may not benefit you::
    When you go to a bar, order straight shots with lemon/lime/orange wedge. Diet coke is a no no, and when you go to a bar their cranberry juice and various other mixers are a cocktail blend that is very high sugar compared to other stuff.

When drinking at home, or at a party; I bring cranberry juice with me. 100% juice, no sugar added. I have my glass and a shot glass for a measuring cup, and do 1 shot whiskey to 2 shots cranberry.

Do not drink any alcohol that is sugar based; such as jagermeister, peach schnapps, blue curacao, triple sec, amaretto, etc etc etc.. Stick to your well alcohols--vodka, rum, whiskey. Ive heard clear alcohols r better for u, but ive also heard whiskey is the best one for you, so that gets confusing--not sure which is true.

Buying beer in bottles/cans, as opposed to a draft beer because a draft beer is 16oz where a 12oz one is less calories. Coors light and such beers have about 100calories for 12oz. MGD 64, Budweiser 55.

Using gatorade as a mixer I use to never get hungover and wouldnt be dehydrated in the morning---but this was way b4 MFP, havent looked at gatorade, its calories, chemicals, sguar level, etc.

I did all of those things on St. Pattys day; i drink 30 cups of water instead of my standard 20. I used small amounts of 100% cranberry juice per each shot of whiskey, I had coors light beer, i stayed under my calories (just barely)... and I still plateaud for 2weeks. I also didnt eat while drinking, and followed all the rules... it just really throws your body for a loop because you fill it with toxins and it takes time for your body repair..

Oh, also, the following day after drinking, drink tons of water again to flush your system, and eat healthier.
  • lalalazzz
    lalalazzz Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for the info. That sucks! I'm going to try to limit iyt to 1 or 2 drinks, we'll see what happena! It's reslly the only thing holding me back from steady weight loss.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    drink vodka with low cal - zero cals drinks....like diet soda or crystal light....
    working on that as we speak, just got home from the fun fair at my sons school even took the neighbours kids, now I am having a rasp vodka and diet 7 - up ...ummm yum! :)
  • linz_83
    linz_83 Posts: 45
    Options
    I am a wino myself, ( :wink: ) and it was hard to give it up. In the wine department I had no choice tho. Too many calories.

I did find a drink I like tho. . . MGD64 Lemonade! yum:happy:

Also I hear shots of things are less calories than wine/beer and like it was said mix with crystal light (they now make Mojito flavors) or pepsi One.

Good luck