Baking - Healthy treats that taste good to non-dieters!

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I have no idea how someone cannot indulge in one slice every few weeks. Unless you are used to huge portions?

I dont generally eat sweet things and dont really enjoy eating sweet things (yes I'm one of those strange people), If thats what you likes to do then kudos to you but not for me sorry, I dont see why I should force myself to eat something when I enjoy a piece of fruit more, Just to fall in with the cake and "I have a sweet tooth" crowd, I have no idea why anyone would want to press that on someone either.

The cookie ingredients are a good shout, I'd probably replace the sugar with the honey, My partner regularly eats oatmeal and raisin so he'd quite likely enjoy that.

But then your original post makes no sense! If you do not like sweets and they are not tempting for you, why avoid having non-diet versions of them at home, or whatever the people who are going to eat them find acceptable? If you are not eating them anyway?

Because my family do? and wheres the harm in having a healthy option to try? people generally like trying new things, is it such a sin in your opinion to try your hand at making something healthier? At the end of the day it doesn't harm anyone.

You misunderstood. If you like to eat e.g. cake and cannot resist it, it makes to me sense to find ways to make it as low calorie as possible (since your thread referred to treats which can be appealing to non-dieters too, it sounded as though calories are the basic concern), so you can eat without going over your calories. But, if you do not find it tempting anyway, why put the effort to reduce calories, for something that will be consumed by people who are not trying to lose weight? I am really confused about what you find offensive about this, sorry.

I am also confused about mixing healthy and dietary. Something can be very healthy and not suitable for a low calorie diet, or it can be very low calorie and not considered healthy by your standards or mine.
    In most cases, cakes have healthy ingredients when baked from scratch, or have ingredients that are easy to be modified based on your preferences. But this will not transform them into "diet" cakes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how someone cannot indulge in one slice every few weeks. Unless you are used to huge portions?

I dont generally eat sweet things and dont really enjoy eating sweet things (yes I'm one of those strange people), If thats what you likes to do then kudos to you but not for me sorry, I dont see why I should force myself to eat something when I enjoy a piece of fruit more, Just to fall in with the cake and "I have a sweet tooth" crowd, I have no idea why anyone would want to press that on someone either.

The cookie ingredients are a good shout, I'd probably replace the sugar with the honey, My partner regularly eats oatmeal and raisin so he'd quite likely enjoy that.

But then your original post makes no sense! If you do not like sweets and they are not tempting for you, why avoid having non-diet versions of them at home, or whatever the people who are going to eat them find acceptable? If you are not eating them anyway?

Because my family do? and wheres the harm in having a healthy option to try? people generally like trying new things, is it such a sin in your opinion to try your hand at making something healthier? At the end of the day it doesn't harm anyone.

You misunderstood. If you like to eat e.g. cake and cannot resist it, it makes to me sense to find ways to make it as low calorie as possible (since your thread referred to treats which can be appealing to non-dieters too, it sounded as though calories are the basic concern), so you can eat without going over your calories. But, if you do not find it tempting anyway, why put the effort to reduce calories, for something that will be consumed by people who are not trying to lose weight? I am really confused about what you find offensive about this, sorry.

I am also confused about mixing healthy and dietary. Something can be very healthy and not suitable for a low calorie diet, or it can be very low calorie and not considered healthy by your standards or mine.
    In most cases, cakes have healthy ingredients when baked from scratch, or have ingredients that are easy to be modified based on your preferences. But this will not transform them into "diet" cakes.

Yeah. I've tried making healthier goods for my family, they won't even eat them, lol...
  • kstar191
    kstar191 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm no baker, but Brittany Angell and Oh She Glows have amazing looking recipes with almost every dietary restriction you can think of.
  • AylaStryder
    AylaStryder Posts: 24 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

You know I dont see why you are being so difficult, If you have nothing useful to add then you dont add to the thread.

I bake regularly for my family, My LO I dont exactly want to give cakes full of sugar to because there are no positives to this. At events that I am asked to bake for you have people that also have dietary requirements such as they are diabetic, have an underactive thyroid and so on, I am not used to baking for those with calorie restrictions or those dietary requirements and I have started a thread to ask for recipes that may fit those requirements, to which you seem to be making it your personal mission to convince me I shouldnt bother unless I'm addicted to cake and want to eat them myself. I havent stated I want to make "Diet cakes" or some wonder recipe that has the amount of calories as air, So unless you have some other tips, hints or ideas stop clogging up the thread.
  • AylaStryder
    edited October 2015
    Options

You know I dont see why you are being so difficult, If you have nothing useful to add then you dont add to the thread.

I bake regularly for my family, My LO I dont exactly want to give cakes full of sugar to because there are no positives to this. At events that I am asked to bake for you have people that also have dietary requirements such as they are diabetic, have an underactive thyroid and so on, I am not used to baking for those with calorie restrictions or those dietary requirements and I have started a thread to ask for recipes that may fit those requirements, to which you seem to be making it your personal mission to convince me I shouldnt bother unless I'm addicted to cake and want to eat them myself. I havent stated I want to make "Diet cakes" or some wonder recipe that has the amount of calories as air, So unless you have some other tips, hints or ideas stop clogging up the thread.

• knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I like to make custard pie. Eggs, milk, sugar, crust and spice basically. I cut the sugar in the recipes drastically and they are still satisfying.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

I was trying to understand what you are looking for, so I could offer ideas about recipes actually. But, since it looks like you have absolutely no clue what you are looking for (diabetics? kid-friendly? restricted in calories?), I also have no clue how to help.
  • AylaStryder
    edited October 2015
    Options

I was trying to understand what you are looking for, so I could offer ideas about recipes actually. But, since it looks like you have absolutely no clue what you are looking for (diabetics? kid-friendly? restricted in calories?), I also have no clue how to help.

I said I bake for events, Events where numerous people come together including those that have health issues and dietary requirements, I dont see what is hard to understand about that? Its not limited to 25-30 females with no health issues or Children only If you have any clue of what an event is you should at least understand that it wont be children only, diabetics only or those on a calorie restricted diet only. Perhaps you would understand better if I said bake sale? Where I would like to have an option for those that their requirements would normally restrict. Your confusing yourself by purposely overcomplicating my answers instead of taking it at face value.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Owlfan88 wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    DKG28 wrote: »
    I make pies. With fresh fruit, not canned, and little added sugar. They are more tart and less gooey than some folks are used to, but I like to be able to identify what fruit is in it by sight! Blueberry and granny smith apple are my favorites. Fewer calories than a slice of cake, plus some vitamins/minerals from the fruit.

Who makes homemade pie with canned fruit (other than pumpkin)!? Might as well use the freezer pie dough, too, which means you might as well buy a Mrs. Smiths.

If I make a pie, it's always with fresh fruit. I don't know anyone who bakes homemade pies that starts with anything else.

I make pies at times with canned fruit. Not canned pie filling, but just the fruit. Cherries don't grow here in the southern U.S., so it would be awfully expensive and a pain to pit them to use fresh. I buy cans of tart cherries and use less sugar than the recipe calls for (I've always used less sugar, I prefer the taste that way). I saw canned raspberries the other day and thought that would be tasty mixed with fresh apples into a pie.

I'm in the South, too.

I've made fresh cherry pie when I lived up North. Here, I've come to accept there just is no good cherry pie and I don't make them. Made with canned or jarred cherries, even the expensive imported sour cherries, they taste like something purchased from the grocery store no matter what. For me, the pie is all about the filling. If the pie is all about the crust, I can see going to the trouble of homemade.

OP, if you're looking for baked goods for a selection of 'alternative' diets, that's easy enough as long as you're not trying to make one item to satisfy everyone from the diabetic to the fruitarian (sp?). Maybe narrow down the range of diets you're likely to encounter? I'd think diabetic, vegan, paleo, celiac and standard low-cal would be the most likely.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    OP, if you're looking for baked goods for a selection of 'alternative' diets, that's easy enough as long as you're not trying to make one item to satisfy everyone from the diabetic to the fruitarian (sp?). Maybe narrow down the range of diets you're likely to encounter? I'd think diabetic, vegan, paleo, celiac and standard low-cal would be the most likely.

If this is the case, yes, you have to narrow each item down one to one or a just few dietary restrictions each, Ayla.

But this has nothing to do with "healthy"/"junk"/"unprocessed"??
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Are you married to the idea of baking something? Something fun that I do is a chocolate fountain with the dippers. Plenty of fruit, rice crispy treats (gluten free btw) and other yummies that I think wouldn't contaminate that chocolate. (I'm allergic to wheat) An ice cream bar is something else that I do, with toppings, fresh cut fruit, and crushed oreos (vegan btw), and 1 other non gluten topping. It's easy, everyone can choose what they want and it's always a hit.

One thing that I always remember is that people appreciate homemade. Use good ingredients and your homemade dessert will be healthier than any storebought thing. Going paleo on your desserts might eliminate some of the allergens that can be an issue. Flourless brownies, cobblers with a gf streusel topping, a beautiful trifle could be some options.
  • AylaStryder
    Options
    randomsue wrote: »
    Are you married to the idea of baking something? Something fun that I do is a chocolate fountain with the dippers. Plenty of fruit, rice crispy treats (gluten free btw) and other yummies that I think wouldn't contaminate that chocolate. (I'm allergic to wheat) An ice cream bar is something else that I do, with toppings, fresh cut fruit, and crushed oreos (vegan btw), and 1 other non gluten topping. It's easy, everyone can choose what they want and it's always a hit.

One thing that I always remember is that people appreciate homemade. Use good ingredients and your homemade dessert will be healthier than any storebought thing. Going paleo on your desserts might eliminate some of the allergens that can be an issue. Flourless brownies, cobblers with a gf streusel topping, a beautiful trifle could be some options.

I'm responsible for the homebaking and people enjoy it, I find it therapeutic as well. I've made a earl grey lemon raw & vegan cheesecake before, Its not excatly something I can get out of now as it always goes down well and a good bit of revenue is raised from it, Thank you for your suggestions, I never thought about brownies or cobbler :) I'll look into paleo recipes as well :)
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    These are both definitely not low in calories but are full of healthy ingredients...and they're delicious.

http://www.allergyfreealaska.com/2012/12/06/guilt-free-pecan-pie-cookies/

http://detoxinista.com/2014/07/the-healthiest-cookies-ever-paleo-vegan/
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone has any healthy baking recipes that doesnt have the amount of junk in in standard homemade cakes? I do a lot of baking normall for events but would like to add a dietary health option of somesort thats as unprocessed as possible that doesnt limit me to just making flap jacks. Any ideas?

you could make some sort of oatmeal cookie with banana and rasins
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    These are both definitely not low in calories but are full of healthy ingredients...and they're delicious.

What's not healthy about the ingredients in a regular cookie?
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

What's not healthy about the ingredients in a regular cookie?

For ME, quite a lot of ingredients. As we all know, everyone has different ideas of what it healthy. And, I believe, if she wanted recipes for "regular" cookies, she would have asked for that.
  • AylaStryder
    Options

Thank you :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I just choose the recipes that I think look nice and then swap out ingredients.
    I don't buy white flour so I swap that for wholemeal spelt flour for 75% of the weight and add ground flax seed for the other 25% of it.
    I swap the sugar out for xylitol or agave nectar as we always have those in.
    I use coconut oil or hemp oil in the place of butter as I rarely have butter in the house. You can also use apple sauce but I always seem to forget this until after I've baked lol.

You've made me want a baking day now :)