Need gluten free tips please

Options
I foung out recently that I have a wheat/gluten allergy (I have a rather mild reaction but I'm trying to mostly cut it out if possible) I was advised that a lot of wheat flour alternative can spike your sugar. I need to give up the wheat/gluten products but I don't won't to end up with diabetes either. Please HELP!! Any adds as a friend would be appreciated, and thanks!

Replies

• Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    WOW! I've been GF for quite a while now & I've never heard that theory.... Which foods did you mean?
  • smilingmakesyouhappy
    Options
    Hi! I'm in the same boat! You will need to read EVERY label as it's in everything!!!! If you can have rice, there is lots of options for goodies in that! I can't eat gluten/wheat/rice/potatoes/corn! I live off of veg and lean protein! Also spaghetti squash is great to have with meals instead of pasta!
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    I personallly am not gluten intolerant but I know people who are. http://www.bobsredmill.com/ is a company from oregon that provides a lot of flours and stuff to stores. You should take a look at their website they can provide you with some recipes and ideas too.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sure about wheat flour alternatives spiking blood sugar, but I follow a mostly gluten free diet and the way I do it is eating whole foods. Even wheat products like bread or corn tortilla's and such are technically processed foods, so the simple rule of thumb is if you eat it exactly as it comes from nature, then it's gluten free. In place of what products I eat a lot of rice, quinoa, and of course mostly veggies and fruits. Wish I could help on the wheat flour alternatives but I don't go there often enough.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Yeah my fiance has Celiac's disease and the gluten-free flours haven't caused him any blood sugar issues at all. Remember that avoiding gluten means that you need to watch ingredients on everything including condiments like Ketchup that often contain malt or malt vinegar. Malt = Gluten.
  • iwlizz
    iwlizz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    one of my friends was Diabetic for over 20 years, then went on a mostly Gluten-Free diet, and found her Blood Sugars to be BETTER than before. I wonder what foods you were looking at to make the BS higher?
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I thought I read just the opposite, I am a diabetic.
  • LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    Eating gluten free is hard at first... but remember that you can eat all the fruits, all the vegetables, all of the meats, all of the dairy products and a lot of grains still.
    Remember to check sauces and marinades and prepared food, gluten likes to hide in these places.

Most grocery stores have gluten free sections nowadays, it wasn't that way a few years ago. A lot of the gluten free alternatives (bread, frozen pizza etc.) aren't that tasty, but give them a try if you want.. some are decent. GF crackers are ok, as are pastas.

I eat lots of veg, fruit, meat/fish, eggs, dairy, salads.

It gets to be second nature after a while.

Good Luck, eating GF is totally worth it.
  • murphysraven
    Options
    As Lexy said there are a lot more grocery stores with gluten free sections. Bisquick is even coming out with a gluten free product. I love KIND bars as a snack and they are GF. There are also lot of GF recipes out there so don't despair!
  • iwlizz
    Options
    As Lexy said there are a lot more grocery stores with gluten free sections. Bisquick is even coming out with a gluten free product. I love KIND bars as a snack and they are GF. There are also lot of GF recipes out there so don't despair!

I don't have to eat GF, but when I was hanging out at my friend's house, I did, so she didn't have to make 2 different meals. The GF Bisquick is actually wicked good! I didn't like the texture the first bite, but I couldn't tell the difference by the end of the plate! Just watch how much syrup you pour on them, they absorb it!!
  • EliteDeeDee77
    Options
    Thanks!
  • EliteDeeDee77
    Options
    A nurse whose husband is diabetic gave me the caution on subbing wheat alternaives like rice/corn/potato base flours or products could lead to higher sugar content. I'm thinking she's being overcautious so far I haven't seen that statement anywhere else. That's a relief.
  • EliteDeeDee77
    Options
    A nurse whose husband is diabetic gave me the caution on subbing wheat alternaives like rice/corn/potato base flours or products could lead to higher sugar content. I'm thinking she's being overcautious so far I haven't seen that statement anywhere else. That's a relief.
  • EliteDeeDee77
    Options
    I hadn't considered a whole foods diet as an alternative, that's food for thought, no pun intended. Not quite sure if I'm ready for that yet but I guess I could work up to it.
  • EliteDeeDee77
    Options
    Yeah my fiance has Celiac's disease and the gluten-free flours haven't caused him any blood sugar issues at all. Remember that avoiding gluten means that you need to watch ingredients on everything including condiments like Ketchup that often contain malt or malt vinegar. Malt = Gluten.

I didn't lnow about the malt. Thanks!
  • iwlizz
    Options
    hm, she could have been overly cautious, but then they could have been adding more fruit into their diets, cuz fruit doesn't have Gluten in it, so that my have spiked his sugars. Like I said, my friend had out of control blood sugars (wicked high, then drop wicked low, hardly any days that were in her "proper" range for her insulin intake) to pretty even weeks, where she would take LESS insulin than she had been prescribed, because she wasn't having the extreme highs and lows anymore!
    Good luck in your GF journey! If you have any other questions, feel free to add/message me on here. I am no expert, but I have gone thru the transition with my friend, and I can give you some hints about what brands/foods are tastier than others. GF can be wicked expensive, so if I can steer you in the right direction, please let me know!