I need tips to curb hunger ASAP please?

Options
My random binge eating is getting out of control. Thank you.

Replies

• GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I find it better to get up and do something, keep yourself busy to take your mind of it, or drink plenty of water. But if it really is food you want then I find lean protein will keep you fuller for longer.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My husband and I Have taken up this habit of when one of us goes to the kitchen or into the fridge, the other one asked "are you hungry or bored?" I can't tell you how many times that's kept me from snacking!

Or if I really feel like I need to to eat, I allow myself a little something to get past the mental aspect of it. Right now, I'm eating sunflower seeds out of the shell. I only grab about 5-10 seeds at a time and take my time with them. It's not a ton of calories and it keeps my mouth busy so I don't want to scarf food down.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's not hunger unless you've been habitually eating far below the minimum. There are other reasons for repeatedly reaching for food. Take some time to figure out what those reasons are and find new ways to address them.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/halting-a-binge-session-715131
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    If possible, keep the foods you tend to binge on out of the house. Make sure you stay well hydrated. Make sure you are eating enough fat, fiber and protein. Those help with satiety and digest slower than other foods so can help you feel full longer.

If you want something sweet eat something with protein at the same time. Chocolate covered nuts instead of plain chocolate. Go for dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate. A glass of chocolate almond milk is fairly low calorie but can often satisfy a sweet craving (can you tell I like chocolate :) ).

If you really can't say know, then make yourself earn it. Take a walk or do some other form of exercise before you allow yourself to eat. You may be surprised how much exercise can kill an appetite. Log onto MFP and waste time on the forums to keep your hands busy.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If you're binge eating for real, there may be deeper issues that you need to look at. That said, these are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    In general, more protein, fat and fiber help. Staying very well hydrated is a good idea too.

Binge eating is a mental issue, however. It may not matter how full you actually are.
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,228 Member
    Options
    Pickles. Eat a pickle first. Two if you have to.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I second the pickles. Really low cal and crunchy good! :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Great big veggie salads with 2 tbsp. of low cal dressing. An egg for protein is ok but don't load it with cheese, pasta, and such. The pickle idea is also good. That can actually go IN the salad if you like it that way. I'm much less likely to binge on crap if I'm chock full of vegetables.
  • Need2bstronger2day
    Need2bstronger2day Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    This is why I carb backload and eat all carbs near bed time. This way the insulin spike is at about the time I am going to sleep and I don't have to deal with the hunger that comes with it. Give it a shot, eat all proteins and fats throughout the day and have carbs the last 1-2 meals of the day.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I find that Self Control works for everyone who actually tries it, right?

Saying "no" when appropriate is a necessary survival skill.

I saw this was flagged. I'm not 100% sure why?
    Okay, I'm not a huge fan of the 'harsh but fair' way of giving advice that is very popular on MFP - BUT this makes total sense to me.

OP, in the nicest way possible - you need to ask yourself how important your goal is to you. The importance of your goal will determine whether or not you stick to your plan. Having said that, make sure you are not depriving yourself. Deprivation regularly leads to 'binge eating' - but a lot of this process is down to having a strong will and a burning determination. You can do it!
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    bcustodio8 wrote: »
    This is why I carb backload and eat all carbs near bed time. This way the insulin spike is at about the time I am going to sleep and I don't have to deal with the hunger that comes with it. Give it a shot, eat all proteins and fats throughout the day and have carbs the last 1-2 meals of the day.

I would say this if your not doing LCHF diet I am doing a LCHF and the lack of carbs and sugar keep me from cravings. The only time I crave food is when it's time to eat or if I've had artificial sugar the day before.

• lx3tx
    lx3tx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I saw a while back on these boards how someone wrote something along the lines of nothing tastes better than the first bite. For some reason that quote resonated with me and became ingrained when I reach for food. It's true and stops me from mindlessly eating. I'll have maybe a bite or two instead of a huge amount.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

I saw this was flagged. I'm not 100% sure why?
    Okay, I'm not a huge fan of the 'harsh but fair' way of giving advice that is very popular on MFP - BUT this makes total sense to me.

OP, in the nicest way possible - you need to ask yourself how important your goal is to you. The importance of your goal will determine whether or not you stick to your plan. Having said that, make sure you are not depriving yourself. Deprivation regularly leads to 'binge eating' - but a lot of this process is down to having a strong will and a burning determination. You can do it!

It was probably flagged because many times there are other issues which trigger the binge eating, and it's not just a matter of poor self control. Aside from the fact there could be other issues at play, the way it was phased is very condensing to the OP. It is completely possible to be matter of fact without being a jerk.

If there are psychological issues in play (ie depression etc), the answer for the OP may not be as simple as simply excersizing self control. Though yes, ultimately it does come down to self control, I suspect the OP needs more granular advice on how to deal with what triggers the binge and how to productively recognize those triggers and cope with them.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    OP - is you binging really random, or can you find a pattern to it? Are you bored, tired, stressed, thirsty (surprisingly being thirsty can feel like hunger) ? Try to see if you can find a pattern to your binges, and take steps to mitigate it. If not, try snacking on low calorie whole foods. I like to eat before going to bed. I usually watch tv for about an hour before sleep, and like to munch continuously during that hour. I try to save the bulk of my calories for that time, but if I don't have many calories left I will have air popped popcorn, or a pomegranate, or something similar that will take me a long time to eat while still being low calorie. Good luck!
  • ElPasoMark
    ElPasoMark Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Ah, no. That's an ignorant, uninformed statement. Buddy, I challenge you to eat a box of ex-lax and then have some self control and will yourself to hold it and not have an atomic *kitten* explosion in your shorts. It's the same with overeating or binge eating (Which are eating disorders like bulimia and anorexia). Like alcoholism or drug addiction, eating disorders are a lot more complex than just "Self control." They're all recognized today as diseases. So, are you gonna tell someone with cancer to "Have some self control"? If you never struggled with an addiction, disorder, or depression you have no idea. Count yourself lucky. And now you should apologize to that lady.

And for the poster, I struggle with an eating disorder (Amongst others) too. It's tough. Maybe look for an Overeaters Anonymous group or meetings in your area?

One day, or one hour at a time. You can do it.

Cheers.

• UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    I second the pickles. Really low cal and crunchy good! :)

Yep, pretty much the only thing in them is a lot of sodium. When I am eating my boring workday eating schedule of a hardboiled egg or piece of string cheese at each break, 1 of each at lunch with a greek yogurt or protein bar, the pickle is a nice punch with a basically zero hit to my food numbers.