Shrimp lover

Options
last_jennifer
last_jennifer Posts: 75 Member
Shrimp, love it!! However, I have never bought it at a grocery store . I have just always ordered it at restaurants. Now that I am eating healthier, I am staying away from restaurants. Therefore, what recipes should I do with my beloved shrimp?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Anything! I love it too but I like it for lunch in my salads. It's easy and it makes salad less boring. I like black bean, avocado, a laughing cow cheese, a few ounces of shrimp, and chipotle hot sauce instead of salad dressing.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I enjoy shrimp many ways. Boil in the shell with a bay leaf, red pepper flakes and peppercorns; drain and chill. Marinate and grill. Stir-fries, sauteed in butter, onion or garlic. Great in tacos too!

I love shrimp creole! Might be the healthiest of cajun dishes. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2015/05/shrimp-creole-re-post.html

Shrimp%2BCreole6.jpg

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/03/shrimp-with-mushrooms-and-bamboo-shoots.html

Shrimp+with+Mushrooms+and+Bamboo+Shoots.JPG
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    To get that restaurant "crust"-they call it "grill"-add a sprinkle of sugar to your skillet when you fry the shrimp. It's not enough to break your diet but they look beautiful. I usually use garlic, maybe some onion and the sugar sprinkle.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    skinnytaste.com

Try the seafood section. I love making their recipes, they have everything under the sun!
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    One key to shrimp, or any seafood item, is not to overcook it. You do not want to have it get dry and rubbery.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I just posted this in another thread... Then saw your post! Sorry if you've already seen it.

Here's a quick one and only about 200 calories per serving. My kids really like it too.

Lemon-garlic baked shrimp and broccoli

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Topping: Combine 1/2 c. panko or plain bread crumbs, grated rind of one lemon, and 1 t. olive oil. Stir well and set aside.

Chop one head of broccoli into bite-sized pieces. Put it in a large glass covered dish with a bit of water and microwave for 4 minutes; drain the water. Stir in 1 pound raw peeled and deveined shrimp, 2 t. olive oil, a clove or two of chopped garlic, and the juice of 1/2 lemon. Add a little salt and black pepper. Stir the topping again and then sprinkle it over the top.

Bake for about 12 minutes or until the topping starts to brown and the shrimp is done. Be careful not to overcook it, since the shrimp will have a head start on cooking when you stir it into the hot broccoli.

You can serve this with pasta or rice; sometimes I eat it alone if I'm running low on calories for the day or if I want dessert later.
  • last_jennifer
    last_jennifer Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love all these recipes thank you so much!
  • sdraper2014
    sdraper2014 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I just like them cooked in a bit of butter with garlic, a side of veg and whatever carb you like is an easy dish.

I am also a huge fan of red curry coconut soup with shrimp

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/diy-thai-red-coconut-curry-shrimp-instant-noodles-ramen-recipe.html

Love this for lunch, add lots more shrimp though! 3-4 shrimp per bowl of soup is insufficient in my opinion. I worked out the calories and it is about 350 for a bowl of this delicious soup if you add more shrimp. The recipe also makes 4 days worth. I make it up, but don't trust cooked shrimp for four days, my husband and I split the recipe and eat it over two days. You can just mix up the broth concentrate and cook the shrimp as you need them as well.

• Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Shrimp is one of my favorites! I love it just plain with cocktail sauce, or in a stir fry, salad, pasta... A couple times I made this amazing shrimp risotto. I believe I got the recipe from a cooking light book I got from the library, but now I can't find it anywhere! :( it was so good, though.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    @meganridenour is it this one Seafood Risotto? The reviews are so high for it, that I thought it may be.

Greek Shrimp Asparagus Risotto sounds pretty interesting too!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle some taco seasoning on them and either use the grill or the frying pan. So yummy!
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »
    One key to shrimp, or any seafood item, is not to overcook it. You do not want to have it get dry and rubbery.

This. When you cook shrimp perfectly, it will be shaped like the letter C. If it's shaped like the letter O, it's overcooked.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy. Sometimes I just steam them with a little old bay Eastern shore style.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Stir fry is my favorite, especially with broccoli and a hot garlic sauce.
    I add it to pasta sauce, sandwich wraps, salads, tacos. Snack on it with cocktail sauce. Grill shrimp and veggie skewers.
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Same as the majority of the people in this thread - simple stir-fry with garlic and maybe some heat. Either chipotle peppers or Tabasco or sometimes both!
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I make a pasta sauce using a large can chopped tomatoes, a TON of garlic chopped (1 to 2 tbsp...it's good for you!!), Chili flakes for heat (lots!), little or large splash white wine, fresh parsley and fresh basil if you can get it. And of course a pound of shrimp. Mix into a pound of linguini. My family goes nuts for this and I think it's nutritious.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    @meganridenour is it this one Seafood Risotto? The reviews are so high for it, that I thought it may be.

Greek Shrimp Asparagus Risotto sounds pretty interesting too!

No ma'am, looks good though!
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Saute with a little butter and cajun seasoning.

Or saute with parsley garlic and lemon and serve with a avocado sauce over linguini or zoodles
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/08/spicy-noodles/

I make these noodles, but without the egg. I cook the shrimp in the same step it tells you to cook the egg. :) increase or decrease shriracha based on personal taste.