Is it irresponsible to give out candy with common allergens in today's society?

Options

Replies

• _SummerGirl_
    _SummerGirl_ Posts: 3,791 Member
    Options
    As a kid who has a life threatening allergy to peanuts, I admit Halloween is a scary time. How we found out she was allergic? She was three and on Halloween, I gave her mommy' favorite candy at the time: Snickers.

We spent Halloween in the ER. :disappointed:

That being said, it's Halloween and people are giving out free candy. You cannot dictate what they give. In a school, I see the reasoning/liability of not serving peanuts...but children have to go to school. They don't have to go "begging" for free candy.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    jmule24 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    as a parent of a three year old with a deathly peanut allergy, this *kitten* always scares the *kitten* out of me. not just trick or treating or whatever...but going to restaurants and whatnot where you ask some moron waiter if there's peanuts in X or Y and they come back with, "I don't think so"...

my wife and i are as vigilant as we can be, but there's always that chance that something is going to get by us, and it scares the *kitten* out of me. i'm not so much worried about the candy at this point because we go with him and check his stash...but in general having a kid with severe peanut allergies is pretty frightening sometimes. epi on hand at all times.
    the_pkg wrote: »
    No. Survival of the fittest. Thinning the herd. Whatever you want to call it.

that's fecked up....you're a for *kitten* individual.

I'm sorry to hear your son has this type of allergy. I hope you understand this is in the chit-chat/fun section of the forums, which is laden with sarcasm, cheesy humor, and lewdness........

I do...but in general, many people do not take this stuff seriously at all...
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    nope give out whatever you want as long as its not heroin

well you can give your heroin if you want i guess
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    as a parent of a three year old with a deathly peanut allergy, this *kitten* always scares the *kitten* out of me. not just trick or treating or whatever...but going to restaurants and whatnot where you ask some moron waiter if there's peanuts in X or Y and they come back with, "I don't think so"...

my wife and i are as vigilant as we can be, but there's always that chance that something is going to get by us, and it scares the *kitten* out of me. i'm not so much worried about the candy at this point because we go with him and check his stash...but in general having a kid with severe peanut allergies is pretty frightening sometimes. epi on hand at all times.
    the_pkg wrote: »
    No. Survival of the fittest. Thinning the herd. Whatever you want to call it.

that's fecked up....you're a for *kitten* individual.

I'm sorry to hear your son has this type of allergy. I hope you understand this is in the chit-chat/fun section of the forums, which is laden with sarcasm, cheesy humor, and lewdness........

I do...but in general, many people do not take this stuff seriously at all...

Like this????????

comic.jpg
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    We need to completely desensitize the world and make sure it is completely safe for everyone. Probably best to let a large bureaucracy run the cleansing, just to make sure we have no personal accountability or need for common sense.
  • KenziesFrenzies
    KenziesFrenzies Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous, it should be the parents job to make sure THEIR kids are safe. Not my problem that nature selected their children to be allergic to something as amazing as peanuts.

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs

This. This right here.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    That's why I hand out chocolate-covered EpiPens.
  • finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwJAP_nIQ_I
    The candyman says its halloween
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    NO EFFING WAY!!!!!!!! Welp public service announcement....just look for the sign I guess...........

TPPflyerthumb.jpg

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I have a child with a peanut allergy; please give her FULL size Snickers, b/c I'll eat them.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    We had our "moral" dentist in the neighborhood who gave out toothbrushes and dental floss......WTF is that?!?!?!

I love that! Gotta use something that get all that Butterfinger out of your molars.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Candy with nuts shouldn't be banned, but it would be a nice gesture to have a variety for kids to choose from because so many do have nut allergies now. That said, they'll probably find nutless candy at someone's else's house.
    I remember we had a neighborhood girl who had severe seizures and she was on a high fat diet to help control them. She could only eat very small amounts of sugar. So instead of candy, my mom made her a little gift bag with non-food items since trick-or-treating wasn't fun for her, and it was the highlight of her Halloween. One small gesture really can mean the world to someone. And it can be as small as buying a bag of Laffy Taffy to throw into the mix.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Is this a trick question? I don't know if it's irresponsible or not, but it says something about your personality if you knowingly do it and someone is allergic to something.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    We had our "moral" dentist in the neighborhood who gave out toothbrushes and dental floss......WTF is that?!?!?!
    I received from one of those wonderful people one year. He gave me a glow-stick, which I then used for the rest of the night, and appreciated from the bottom of my heart. In all giving situations, including Halloween, it's seriously the thought that counts.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    This is the 2nd year we have done the Teal Pumpkin Project. We hand out glow sticks.