Cheat days?

Options
Hi all. I've been doing really well along the way, especially this week! Yesterday I was fine until my parents invited me to dinner, obviously I said yes. I skipped the gym and went to dinner where I ate garlic knots, soup, and pumpkin ravioli . I have no desire to log these items ... Really don't wanna know how many calories I consumed over my daily goal. My question for you all is - how damaging was my one cheat night to my weight loss ? And do you all have cheat days? Lol thanks for the support!

Replies

• PeiDub
    PeiDub Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    As long as you've been doing well, don't sweat it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't do "cheat", because I'm not doing anything wrong. If I happen to go over, I go over. Log them, even if you don't want to and move on.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I do allow myself some slack now and then to eat more than I should. I still log what I ate. Accountability n'at. Refusing to acknowledge, accept and take responsibility for how much I eat is what got me to 320 pounds. That can't continue if I want to get to my goal of 175.

Refusing to write it down won't change the truth. Writing it down will help you when you want to look at your overall eating trends and learn from them.
  • Simply_4_me
    Simply_4_me Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Write it down, own it, move on
  • emilyrosebecker
    emilyrosebecker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I appreciate it
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I don't do "cheat", because I'm not doing anything wrong. If I happen to go over, I go over. Log them, even if you don't want to and move on.

+1

Eating delicious food is not cheating.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    If your data is incomplete then its kinda useless imo. I go by weekly goals so not
    logging one meal would throw off all the data. Plus if you dont log you will never learn the calorific value of things for maintenance.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Why don't you log it and see? What's the point of not knowing...of logging only some foods and not another? If you log it you have data, and if you have data, you can understand your rate of loss and it can help you with your future goals (maintaining, gaining, fitness, macros/micros).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

^

I just log the best I can.

I usually know when there is a high calorie meal coming up so I have time to get in some extra exercise.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    How damaging was one delicious meal?
    Dunno... go log it & see.
    But even if you really gorged and had 3000 calories, that's only 1 lb.

What are you "cheating" on?
    If you're on a diet, that's something temporary, and the gains you make will be too.
    If you're changing your eating & exercise habits for good, for the rest of your life, then you need habits you can
    live with. Eating delicious food is something I can live with. How 'bout you?
    Just do it in reasonable portions.
    Overdoing once in a while isn't going to be a problem. Doing it frequently will be, esp. if you don't increase exercise.

51637601.png
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Log it! It won't be as bad as you imagine. Then look at your week as a whole.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I would log it the best I could and then get on with life. I expect those sorts of things to happen sometimes - for example, today some friends are coming over and they're bringing the food, so I couldn't do my normal routine of pre-logging and planning my meals.

But whatever happens today, happens today. One bad day won't make me fat anymore than one good day will make me thin. The trick isn't to never have bad days, it's to never allow bad days to stop you from trying for good days.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    Log it! It won't be as bad as you imagine. Then look at your week as a whole.

I agree! One day will not ruin you unless you take the attitude of "I screwed up, might as well give up!" It will be likely that over a weeks time you will have eaten at maintenance or better yet you are still in a deficit for the week. Either way, any small gain you might have will be quickly replaced with a new low!
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Of course, if you don't log it, it means you never ate it, so I totally understand her reasoning.

^^sarcasm
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I never do a, "cheat day" (a day with unlimited calories) as that can usually run a whole week of work. But every once and awhile I'll give myself a meal where I don't count calories. It's the only thing that's kept my sanity in this journey.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    "Really don't wanna know how many calories I consumed"
    "My question for you all is - how damaging was my one cheat night to my weight loss ?"

Really?

How are we supposed to know.

*No One* can possibly know without the missing data you "don't want know", right?

You can't win at this through denial.

That never works.

Never.

Denial is a loser's game.
  • emilyrosebecker
    emilyrosebecker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who commented positively! That's what these boards are here for ...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    let it go and move on.

Normally i'd say log these things, but at this point what's done is done whether you log it or not. Move on and let it go instead of letting it get to you.
  • hazelgirl11
    hazelgirl11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I never do a, "cheat day" (a day with unlimited calories) as that can usually run a whole week of work. But every once and awhile I'll give myself a meal where I don't count calories. It's the only thing that's kept my sanity in this journey.

I do the same thing! :smile: I feel like it really works for me as well.
  • alexistexas33
    alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I personally had only one cheat weekend (3 days) in the 9 months I have been loosing weight , because I went to Vegas.
    During that time, I gained almost 9 lbs due to water weight, so I am particularly scared to try that again.
    Everyone is different though.