Walking to Mordor Challenge

NicolaMichelle93
NicolaMichelle93 Posts: 685 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
one-does-not-simply-walk-into-mordor_1394963912.jpg

For all those interested, and for fans of LOTR and the Hobbit, NerdFitness have done a breakdown of the miles it takes from the beginning at the Shire to the end at Mordor and have calculated it to be around 1779 Miles to Mt. Doom and 1625 Miles to get back to Bag End (with an extra 467 Miles to the Grey Havens). http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/07/23/walking/

I figured this would be a great challenge, to add your miles walked, run or cycled for you both individually on your quest to destroy the ring, and as a group as to how many miles covered in total.

There's a spreadsheet here if you'd like to join and track your minutes:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11Fp_TzDd9K981AHIdadtbIsvrkhKmaiFYXLidxXi2bI/edit#gid=1891029265
If you click the link on 'Information about this part of the walk' It will tell you where you currently are on your quest. Think I'm currently at 'Cross The Great Road from the Brandywine Bridge. Enter Tookland'

My own personal goal is to walk/run from Hobbiton to Rivendell (458 Miles) but it would be great to see if, as a group, we could get to Mt. Doom. If there's interest, we could make a private group to cheer fellow hobbits on too.

Who's up for the challenge? :P

Replies

• DaleCannard
    DaleCannard Posts: 11 Member
    Is it based on steps per day, or walks logged in map my walk or strava ect?
  • NicolaMichelle93
    Is it based on steps per day, or walks logged in map my walk or strava ect?

It's just based off miles or km that you complete as a running total. So if you did 3 miles on a Monday and 2 on a Tuesday, that'd be 5 as a total which you would input on the database and would keep building up over time .
    You'd get the figures off whichever app you chose to count mileage :)
  • The313
    The313 Posts: 3,145 Member
    Such a cute idea! I'm in, and I'm gonna repost this in the Geekery Guild to see if there's anyone there interested. We should totally make a private group for this!
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    one-does-not-simply-walk-into-mordor_1394963912.jpg

There's a spreadsheet here if you'd like to join and track your minutes:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11Fp_TzDd9K981AHIdadtbIsvrkhKmaiFYXLidxXi2bI/edit#gid=1891029265

Who's up for the challenge? :P

You need permission to access the spreadsheet.

And yes totally up to the challenge

• GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Well, this is awesome.
  • NicolaMichelle93
    I'll open up the spreadsheet so you don't need permission. I'm a bit of a Google docs noob so bare with xD
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    @NicolaMichelle93 - click on the blue Share button and change the drop down to Anyone with the link can edit :)
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,187 Member
    I'm up for it! @NicolaMichelle93, I will follow you to Rivendell!! I will set out today!! ;)

Chris
  • NicolaMichelle93
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @NicolaMichelle93 - click on the blue Share button and change the drop down to Anyone with the link can edit :)

Thanks :lol: You saved me a google search to try and figure out how to do it! Anyone should be able to edit it now.
    cpanus wrote: »
    I'm up for it! @NicolaMichelle93, I will follow you to Rivendell!! I will set out today!! ;)

Chris

Yay, fellow companion on the loong walk to Rivendell.

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    I'm up for this - I enjoy walking and I've been planning to get back into hiking in 2016, now that I'm considerably more fit. A group would be awesome.
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Would love to join this! A group would be amazing.
  • kshama2001
    edited October 2015

Thanks :lol: You saved me a google search to try and figure out how to do it! Anyone should be able to edit it now.

I'm in! However, I can only view. Change the dropdown to Edit.

Just a suggestion - I think you should take out your 13 miles and start fresh from today.

• NicolaMichelle93

I'm in! However, I can only view. Change the dropdown to Edit.

Just a suggestion - I think you should take out your 13 miles and start fresh from today.

Okay, anyone should be able to edit now. And I'll start from 0, did a few miles yesterday but it makes more sense to start from fresh. Thanks for the pointers with googledocs :)
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,673 Member
    edited October 2015
    Cpanus did call to me, her faithful companion, to join her on this quest, and it warms my heart! To travel again with brave companions and share the wondrous sights that await us...

Twill return anon to ink my vow on the parchment when it is duly prepared to receive our sworn names.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    I'd like to join. Is there a time limit and I don't know if I'll ever leave the Shire let alone destroy the ring and return. But I still would like to try my best.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,673 Member
    Success! Just click on the link to the spreadsheet (above) and type your name. And we're off!

Hooray. :laugh:
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    This is adorable.
  • NicolaMichelle93
    edited October 2015
    fidangul wrote: »
    I'd like to join. Is there a time limit and I don't know if I'll ever leave the Shire let alone destroy the ring and return. But I still would like to try my best.

No time limit planned although we could run it in time increments (e.g. 9 week Challenge) if it's preferable.
    And don't worry, even if you don't leave the Shire, you will have had a nice walk around Hobbiton :)
  • kshama2001
    Just got back from a walk in the woods behind my house. I haven't been in a year or so because I've been walking on proper trails a few miles away. Only got 500 steps because my trail was so overgrown with briars. I'd brought clippers and loppers and spent an hour out there.
  • NicolaMichelle93
    edited October 2015
    Private group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/109675-walking-to-mordor-lotr-the-hobbit-challenge

Think everyone has been invited and sent an invitation.
    Feel free to make your own threads and help the group to build :)