Bad day cheat meal ruined whole week

Options
2»

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    1000 cals is only 1/3 lb. If the rest of your week was on target you'll barely notice it on the scales.
  • melbmeg
    melbmeg Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I exceed my (fairly generous) calorie allowance probably 6 out of 10 days - mostly by a little but sometimes by 1000 calories - and I've lost about 40 lbs in 15 months. I have only 10 lbs left to go.

Sustainable weight loss is not about perfection, it's about changing the amount that you eat overall, over the long term. I think the biggest difference between naturally slim people and fat people is that the slim people auto-correct and eat less after a big day of eating whereas fat people think "damn, I ate a whole pizza last night, I will always be fat so I might as well have donuts for breakfast."

I am training my thinking to make it more like a naturally thin person's, and less "all or nothing". Try it!
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    melbmeg wrote: »
    fat people think "damn, I ate a whole pizza last night, I will always be fat so I might as well have donuts for breakfast."

Prior to the current attempt this was me, as well. If I screwed up one day the whole week, at the very least, was shot. I'd already screwed up so "f it, I'll start again next week." Now every day is a new day. It's fabulously freeing!
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    A day is not a week, nor is a week a month, nor is a month a lifestyle choice.

For anyone that thinks one day will kill you, look at my August 1st this year. Closing in on 6000 calories. My trend continued down.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You haven't slipped nor cheated.

On Saturday (Halloween) - I ate 1200 over my maintenance calories. I simply logged it and cut back the following day and plan to cut ever so slightly today to balance every thing out. This is personal preference and not even that necessary - you had a meal, that's it. This won't affect your progress.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    One bad day does not matter. However, your diary says you are over your calories almost every single day. So, either your goal is not working for you, or something else needs to change.
  • sanegec
    sanegec Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Welp if that's the case my plan has ended with no return. I WAS A COMPLETE PIG yesterday. Butter, donuts, pasta, cheese that I had not had in a month. Whew...My daily intake was 3,100 calories, so you could imagine all stats were off. Guess what??? Don't give a flying flip. I so enjoyed it! But I know I can't afford to have another one of those days. Today is a new day. MFP logging helps quantify my intake that I have relearned how to qualify the "yes" & "not a chance" options.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Dude- with calorie banking, this isn't even something to get confused or worried about. The surplus goes on your balance, you carry it over into the next few days until you've eaten less and used it up. What you've done is eating in advance.

Much better, IMO, than just shrugging and hoping to adhere more strictly to the next day's calorie balance. Unless you fail at that, and then you can hope again. Hope, hope, and hope some more.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Best thing to remember is that you didn't go to bed one day and wake up the next having put on 30lbs/50lbs/100lbs
    It took years to get to the point where you decided it was time to lose weight, so having a day where you don't stick to your new healthier life style doesn't ruin anything. It's just another day. You move on and continue with your healthier life style the next day.
  • Amythyst0211
    Amythyst0211 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, when dieting, its good to have a "cheat day". I used to do this the last time I dieted, I had one day a week I could enjoy what I wanted. Sometimes I went overboard other times I did not. But I still lost all the weight, and was very happy. Sometimes you just need a little break, take it, and remember tomorrow is a new day.