question on strength training calorie count

Options
Does anyone know why my strength training exercises are not adding calories to my daily calorie count? Any feedback would be welcome,

Replies

• lunula76
    lunula76 Posts: 38
    Options
    I think that part is just for tracking what weight and reps you are doing. For calories search strength training under the cardio section. It doesn't give you the option of how much weight you are working with but it gives you a ballpark calorie count.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I asked this the other day - apparently you shouldn't count cals burned during strength training. I can't remember why. Sorry i can't be any more help... maybe someone will post again to remind me why?
  • Countrymade
    Countrymade Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    What I do for strength training is search in the cardio section and from there you can put in your minutes and calories burned for your strength training. I think MFP doesn't count the calories burned during strength training because it makes a difference what exercises you are doing and what size weights you are using so it is hard to calculate. I use my HRM when I strength train so I can get the exact calories I burn.
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    I use my HRM when doing any exercise. Always get my calories.

get a HRM. the ball park figures in the data base on here are based on the weight / height of the person who initially entered it in to the database and are most likely not in line with your height and weight. You may burn more or less than the person who originally input the "strength training calories".
  • fitrobb
    fitrobb Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks all for the tips. I had to read up on what an HRM is and how it works. Apparently the HRM's are as good as the algorithms they use to calculate calories burned. It would be nice if the site had something basic where you plug in the weight, reps and how many sets and it would figure a ball part of calories burned for that exercise based on your age height and weight. It makes sense what someone typed about everyone's body working different though too.
  • fitrobb
    fitrobb Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response. Good luck on your #1 goal. Looks like it's a win-win either way.
  • HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    This has always confused me. Glad you guys clarified it a bit :0)