My Plan - Good or Bad? Please let me know!

Options
Bryzie555
Bryzie555 Posts: 19 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
GOAL:
Lose 10kg in 6 weeks & Get fit before Xmas!

PLAN:
* Eat 1800 calories/day for a 1000cal deficit.
* Morning Gym; burn 500cal
* After work Gym; burn another 500cal
* Excercise is another 1000cal deficit

CALCULATION:
* 6 Days ON, 1 day OFF
* 12000 <> cal deficit/wk avg = 3kg/wk weight loss.

POSSIBLE? I believe so, SAFE? I'm not sure.

ABOUT ME:
Sex: Male
Weight: 103kg
Height: 196cm, 6ft 5"

IS MY PLAN SAFE? Will it work? I would appreciate some honest feedback please and any changes you recommend???

Replies

• Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    What work out are you doing to burn 500cals?
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Why not eat 1300 cals and only go to gym once per day.
  • Bryzie555
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My ruitine is usually:

Treadmill: 30 mins. First 10 rigorous (350cal)

Weights: Benchpress, curls etc (100cal)

Crunches: 2 sets of 30

Spin Bike / Rowing machine <> 10mins
  • anitaghigi
    anitaghigi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I would advise you to consult your physician or dietitian if possible. This is what I did and it really helped me to lose weight safely.
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I think that your calculation is incorrect, 3lbs / week not 3 kgs / wk as a 1 lb loss is ~3500 cal.
    2 lbs or ~1kg per week is sustainable weight loss.

I would also figure out your appropriate TDEE, not just 1800 calories.
    Have you looked into how you will break down your 1800 calories? I.E. Macros: protein, fat, carbs? Nutrition is just as important as exercise. Having a game plan is the only way that I seem to stay on track.

What types of exercise will you do? Cardio? Strength Training? Strength Training will get you more out of your time than most cardio.

Also don't be terribly fixated on the number on the scale, focus more so on inches loss. Fat takes up more physical space than muscle.
  • Bryzie555
    edited November 2015
    Options
    missymi07 wrote: »
    Why not eat 1300 cals and only go to gym once per day.

Because the reading I was doing on the net suggested not to go below 1800 as my body will entire survival mode and will be harder to lose weight apparently
  • Bryzie555
    Options
    dcshima wrote: »
    I think that your calculation is incorrect, 3lbs / week not 3 kgs / wk as a 1 lb loss is ~3500 cal.
    2 lbs or ~1kg per week is sustainable weight loss.

I would also figure out your appropriate TDEE, not just 1800 calories.
    Have you looked into how you will break down your 1800 calories? I.E. Macros: protein, fat, carbs? Nutrition is just as important as exercise. Having a game plan is the only way that I seem to stay on track.

What types of exercise will you do? Cardio? Strength Training? Strength Training will get you more out of your time than most cardio.

Also don't be terribly fixated on the number on the scale, focus more so on inches loss. Fat takes up more physical space than muscle.

Yes my TDEE is 2544/day.
    I mostly do cardio but am trying to include more weights
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    2000/day deficit? Good luck with that. Be sure to report back in 6 weeks...
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yes my TDEE is 2544/day.

I would check a few sites to calculate your TDEE....Just ran the numbers on http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and your BMR is just under 2000, which is your starvation level, you drop below this it is bad news. Work smarter not harder, think that you would be better off at 2500 calories.

How is your diet? Not all calories are created equal.

What is your specific goal? Just lose 10 kg? Or to lose fat and gain muscle?

• barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    You will deplete your body of so much needed nutrition that your energy level will be gone.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    A 32 year old, 6'5", 226 lb. male netting somewhere around 800 calories per day? I'm the same height, 30 lbs. heavier and 21 years older and I net around 2300-2500 cal/day for a sensible rate of weight loss (between 0.75 - 1 pound per week).

Good luck with that. You'd be hard pressed to find anybody who would even recommend such a program to a 12-year old girl. Assuming your calculations are correct, you'll be netting less than half the calories it would take to fuel your body if you were doing nothing but lying in bed in a coma - let alone daily activities and workouts.
  • Bryzie555
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    A 32 year old, 6'5", 226 lb. male netting somewhere around 800 calories per day? I'm the same height, 30 lbs. heavier and 21 years older and I net around 2300-2500 cal/day for a sensible rate of weight loss (between 0.75 - 1 pound per week).

Good luck with that. You'd be hard pressed to find anybody who would even recommend such a program to a 12-year old girl. Assuming your calculations are correct, you'll be netting less than half the calories it would take to fuel your body if you were doing nothing but lying in bed in a coma - let alone daily activities and workouts.

So if my BMR is just over 2000 and I consumed 2000 but burnt 1000 which is a 1000 deficit per day, would this be a safe way to do things? What is the biggest deficit I could aim for safely?
  • Bryzie555
    Options
    dcshima wrote: »
    Yes my TDEE is 2544/day.

I would check a few sites to calculate your TDEE....Just ran the numbers on http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and your BMR is just under 2000, which is your starvation level, you drop below this it is bad news. Work smarter not harder, think that you would be better off at 2500 calories.

How is your diet? Not all calories are created equal.

What is your specific goal? Just lose 10 kg? Or to lose fat and gain muscle?

My aim is to drop the stomach fat, lose the love handles and tone the chest.

If my BMR is 2000 and I burnt 1000cal per day, what is the minimum safe level of calories I should be consuminfg per day in order to get to my goal??
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I cannot tell you what is safe for you. Only your doctor can do that, really.

In general, if you feel healthy and strong and can power through your workouts, you're doing okay on calories. If you're getting all your micros in on a regular basis (not every day because almost nobody can do that, but regularly), you're doing okay nutritionally. If you're feeling weak, tired, cannot power through a workout or ever get dizzy, you're on a bad plan. If you don't get all those lovely vitamins and minerals, you're not making yourself as healthy as you can be.

I think that you might be able to lose 10kg by Christmas. But you might not, too. Even if you don't, you'll lose some and can lose the rest after Christmas.

Good luck! :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Bryzie555 wrote: »

So if my BMR is just over 2000 and I consumed 2000 but burnt 1000 which is a 1000 deficit per day, would this be a safe way to do things? What is the biggest deficit I could aim for safely?

Your deficit is calculated off your TDEE not your BMR. I you eat 2000 and burn 1000 from exercise, your net is 1000 intake. That's only 200 more than your original plan. You aren't that overweight for your height. With a higher deficit, you will burn through more of your lean body mass. I am guessing you would rather maintain your current muscle and try to reduce body fat. Aim for a slower loss and preserve your muscles. Keep working out hard. You may not get there by Christmas, but you will be happier with your final results.
  • Bryzie555
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

In general, if you feel healthy and strong and can power through your workouts, you're doing okay on calories. If you're getting all your micros in on a regular basis (not every day because almost nobody can do that, but regularly), you're doing okay nutritionally. If you're feeling weak, tired, cannot power through a workout or ever get dizzy, you're on a bad plan. If you don't get all those lovely vitamins and minerals, you're not making yourself as healthy as you can be.

I think that you might be able to lose 10kg by Christmas. But you might not, too. Even if you don't, you'll lose some and can lose the rest after Christmas.

Good point Kalikel, my energy level is at a high during the day and even after the workout after 1 hour I feel like I could go back for another session.

Is the point your trying to make; if my energy feels depleted, simply I need to eat more??
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Good point Kalikel, my energy level is at a high during the day and even after the workout after 1 hour I feel like I could go back for another session.

Is the point your trying to make; if my energy feels depleted, simply I need to eat more??

Except that you might feel okay, until you don't. Some people, once they hit that wall can take months to recover. You're much better off not cutting too low and just taking it more slowly. Whatever you decide, good luck.
  • Bryzie555
    Options
    This is where I get most of my daily vitamins and nutrients:5txb649blyk7.png
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. The fat will come off your body however your genetics dictate. For men, it's often the stomach and love handles which are the last to go, and sometimes won't happen until you're around 10% bodyfat. You're not going to "tone" anything with such a radical deficit/weight loss - you'll be dumping a lot of muscle mass along with the fat. A more moderate deficit (and adequate protein intake and strength training) will help you retain muscle mass while losing a greater percentage of fat, which will probably give you more of the look you want than crash dieting.

If my BMR is 2000 and I burnt 1000cal per day, what is the minimum safe level of calories I should be consuminfg per day in order to get to my goal??
    Your goal is unrealistic. 22 lbs. of weight loss in 6 weeks is almost 4 lbs. per week. The best way to attain your goal is to start about 10 weeks ago. IMO, your calorie level should be somewhere around a 20% deficit from your TDEE, which would be somewhere around 2000-2050 calories given your stated TDEE of 2544. That should result in an average loss of about a pound a week, and you'll feel (and look) much better in the process.
  • Bryzie555
    Options
    You can't spot reduce. The fat will come off your body however your genetics dictate. For men, it's often the stomach and love handles which are the last to go, and sometimes won't happen until you're around 10% bodyfat. You're not going to "tone" anything with such a radical deficit/weight loss - you'll be dumping a lot of muscle mass along with the fat. A more moderate deficit (and adequate protein intake and strength training) will help you retain muscle mass while losing a greater percentage of fat, which will probably give you more of the look you want than crash dieting.

Your goal is unrealistic. 22 lbs. of weight loss in 6 weeks is almost 4 lbs. per week. The best way to attain your goal is to start about 10 weeks ago. IMO, your calorie level should be somewhere around a 20% deficit from your TDEE, which would be somewhere around 2000-2050 calories given your stated TDEE of 2544. That should result in an average loss of about a pound a week, and you'll feel (and look) much better in the process.

Thanks AnvilHead, that helps.
    I'm still however a little confused. Even with exercise burning an additional 1000cal per day on top of the 20% calorie intake deficit would meen that the total deficit is 1500cal (a 60% deficit).
    So I'm trying to understand if this is the case and if it would be positive?