Peanut Butters

Options
RachVR6
RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
Okay I keep hearing everyone rave about natural peanut butters. I just checkout Jif's all natural versus the normal and the only difference is a slightly lower sodium. Even the ingredients are almost exactly the same. Now I know Jif isn't the brand everyone's talking about so....

What brand is oh so delicious and healthy? Where can you buy it? And what are the real benefits for natural vs. normal commercial brands??

Thanks!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• crazywheaten
    Options
    I use Jif Natural Low Sodium and I also make my own peanut butter. I've been drinking smoothis for b'fast lately and use 1 T of my homemade pb and 1 T of the Jif--yummmmmm!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Read the ingredients. They should say:
    Ingredients: Peanuts

OR,

Ingredients: Peanuts, salt

If it lists other ingredients, put it back on the shelf.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I don't use peanut butter, but have tried sun nut butter (sunflower butter) and hazelnut butter; both separate and have to be stirred before use, but as a treat it's worth it.
  • schwarzaj
    schwarzaj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    healthiest kind is where the only ingredients are peanuts and salf, or just peanuts, i LOVE Smucker's Natural PB (peanuts,salt), it tastes much better (for some reason) than the Publix Natural Peanut Butter
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I buy kettle creamy peanut butter, no salt added. Just at kroger, or your regular store! Joseph's no sugar added is good too, or Trader joes no salt added creamy :)
  • trc117
    trc117 Posts: 18
    Options
    My new favorite peanut butter is an all natural and I am in love with it. It's by Peanut Butter & Co and its called The Bee's Knees. I get it at walmart. its more expensive than the other peanut butters but the only ingredients in it are peanuts, evaporated cane juice, honey, natural honey flavor, palm fruit oil and salt. No added sugars or HFCS. My husbands only compaint about it is the granules stuff in it which i assume is the salt.
  • musikleigh
    Options
    Jif's natural isn't really all that natural. . .try trader joe's or whole foods if you have them nearby. If not, look for peanut butters that have only peanuts and salt. nothing added. Hopefully that helps!
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    We buy "Mara Natha Organic Creamy and Roasted Peanut Butter No Salt Added" over at Whole Foods. Its lower in everything = no trans fat, 2g of saturated fat, no cholesterol, no sodium, and sugars are 1g. You have to keep it in the fridge though and stir it before using it. AND it does take some getting used to, my husband LOVES peanut butter, and he said what helped him get used to it, was giving up peanut butter for a month, and then going natural.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I use Almond Butter. 1 ingredient...Almonds. It's Amazing.
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options

OR,

EXACTLY
    I eat Smucker's - Natural Peanut Butter Creamy No Salt Added
    The only ingredient...you guessed it, PEANUTS.
    After having eaten this I can not fathom the thought of putting any peanut butter with any ingredients besides peanuts in my mouth.
    It is delicious and truly "all natural".

I buy it at Walmart
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Double Post...ARGH!!!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options
    My new favorite peanut butter is an all natural and I am in love with it. It's by Peanut Butter & Co and its called The Bee's Knees. I get it at walmart. its more expensive than the other peanut butters but the only ingredients in it are peanuts, evaporated cane juice, honey, natural honey flavor, palm fruit oil and salt. No added sugars or HFCS. My husbands only compaint about it is the granules stuff in it which i assume is the salt.

um.... evaporated cane juice, honey - those are added sugars
    "natural honey flavor" - wtf is that?
    palm fruit oil? why?

this is an example of a peanut butter to put back on the shelf.
  • RachVR6
    Options

OR,

Jif Natural says Peanuts. Jif Original says Roasted Peanuts. ??
  • nalopez
    nalopez Posts: 39
    Options
    Adams for sure!
  • blisterpeanuts
    blisterpeanuts Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love making p-nut butter in my food processor. It's so easy--dump in some peanuts, preferably organic ones, turn it on for about 30 minutes, and like magic it turns into spreadable stuff. There's nothing like warm, fresh peanut butter right out of the machine.

I also like to mix in other nuts, for variety. You can make almond butter and several other kinds of nut butters. I like peanut-almond the best--lots of fiber, a soft consistency, and tastes yummy.

I have to say, I haven't had a lot of the stuff these past few weeks. The calories add up really fast. I use it when I have like 200-300 extra cals to eat and no time to make anything complicated.
  • RachVR6
    Options
    I don't know of any whole food stores around here but they did just open up a 'Fresh by Brookshires' here. It has some crazy fruits and veggies I've never seen before, and wide varieties of fish and cheese and all sorts of things. I'll have to check there.

Thanks guys!!!
  • taso42_DELETED
    Options

Yeah, the roasted peanuts cause cancer. Try to avoid even smelling them. Just kidding. :laugh: I don't see any issue with roasted. I guess it just gives a different flavor. But original Jif seems to list a lot more stuff than just roasted peanuts. This is what I found online - "MADE FROM ROASTED PEANUTS, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: FULLY HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (RAPESEED AND SOYBEAN), MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, MOLASSES, SUGAR, SALT."
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Smucker's all natural. Peanuts and salt. Nothing else. It's a little messier because you have to stir it, but it's the healthiest and it's delicious. It's also a little harder to spread, but that's because it has no added oils. What I do when I first but a new one is I open it and stir it really well with a butter knife. Then I store it upside down in the fridge. Once I do that I never have to stir it again.

http://www.smuckers.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?groupId=2&categoryId=11&flavorId=65
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options

OR,

Rach - what other ingredients are listed on the Jif peanut butters? The peanut butter that I use is the Natures Promise Organic Creamy No Sodium. Quite literally the only ingredient is peanuts. That's it. And, as Taso said, if it lists other ingredients, there's really no reason to buy it since they are generally added sugars, preservatives, binders, etc. The natural peanut butters tend to separate when not refrigerated, so I always make sure to stir mine when I first open the jar and then keep it in the fridge. It took a bit to get used to tasting only peanuts, but I wouldn't dream of going back to "regular" peanut butter now. I LOVE the natural ones!
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the roasted peanuts cause cancer. Try to avoid even smelling them. Just kidding. :laugh:

Hahaha. I wouldn't be surprised if this was actually in a blog or something somewhere. Good thing you said "just kidding" or else this information probably would spread like wildfire.