Help with healthy weight loss please

Options
Hey everyone, I am writing because a friend told me that I can get good advice hear on weightloss. After almost dying from Diabetic Ketoacidosis I knew it was time to make a change for myself and my daughters so I have began working out and eating right and already have went from 445- 383 but alas I think I am beginning to fear food now. After telling my good friend I only eat 600-800 calories a day she began to worry and said I should seek help before I trade one eating disorder for another. I have 16 month old twins and I really do not want to leave them alone without me. Can anyone give me some advice. I do low carb and high protein and sometimes I will get 1000- 1200 calories in even though my doctor said 1800

Replies

• M30834134
    M30834134 Posts: 411 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Congratulation to your success and more kudos for asking for advice. You'll find many helpful people here, it's a great community.

I would recommend you listen to your doctor.

The reason why they worry is because not providing enough food for your body is as dangerous as over feeding it.

Our bodies need certain amount of energy to function - it's called BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). BMR means the amount of energy your body needs at complete rest - that energy is consumed by your body organs: heart, kidneys, liver, brain, skin, hair growth, sweating, breathing, etc. etc. Any activities you do - require more energy. That's why eating as little as you were is not healthy as your body does not have enough calories and nutrients for its basic functions. Undereating, needlessly, stresses your body and makes weight loss unnecessarily more difficult; it could lead to various health issues, it is hard physically and emotionally.

Since you have quite a few pounds to get rid off, setup your MFP goal for 2lb per week loss and eat all of those calories. This will give you enough calories not to starve and to have enough energy for your daily activities - and you will still lose weight. Moderate weight loss is healthier and has more chances to be sustained than over restrictive crash diets.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you do understand what you need to do to be successful. I would eat enough so that you are not 'starving hungry'. Follow your doctor's advice and up your calories. You'll still lose weight. Losing slowly is what I focus on...I never really feel deprived, and I'm not tempted a lot to binge eat. Also, I want my body to be able to adapt to my weight loss. I believe this is important when you have a lot of weight to lose.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Also, I eat all of the food groups and I wouldn't cut any of them out of your diet unless you have a health issue where they ie. carbs affect your health.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Zadora251 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I am writing because a friend told me that I can get good advice hear on weightloss. After almost dying from Diabetic Ketoacidosis I knew it was time to make a change for myself and my daughters so I have began working out and eating right and already have went from 445- 383 but alas I think I am beginning to fear food now. After telling my good friend I only eat 600-800 calories a day she began to worry and said I should seek help before I trade one eating disorder for another. I have 16 month old twins and I really do not want to leave them alone without me. Can anyone give me some advice. I do low carb and high protein and sometimes I will get 1000- 1200 calories in even though my doctor said 1800

Your friend and your doctor are right. At your weight, you can surely eat 1800 calories and still lose weight. Hell, when I first started on MFP I was able to eat close to 1800 and still lost weight. When you cut your calories that drastically it's a recipe for failure IMO. I think in your case you need to pay attention to portion sizes, read the labels on the foods you're eating to know how much you're really eating.

Educate yourself for a healthy sustainable weight loss, there are so many good stickies here that you should read. Also, stay active in this community, make friends, ask questions with an open mind. Trust me there are tons of posters here who can help you along your journey. These are my favorite must read threads:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10183824/things-i-had-to-unlearn-about-losing-weight/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260517/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

Good luck honey!

• guapa68
    guapa68 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi , has anyone explained why you went into ketoacidosis ?
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    How can you keep up with two toddlers if you don't have the energy and fuel you need?! It sounds like you already know it's too little and you realize it is because you view food as the enemy. Maybe some professional help is in order there. You have to view it as putting the energy into your body you need to be your best, to be beautiful, to be strong, to be a Mom. Food is not the enemy.... too much food and no physical activity is the enemy. You aren't doing yourself any favors by dipping your intake that low....but I think you already know that. Also, make sure you are weighing and measuring to be sure you are really eating that low. I'd be starving.
  • Zadora251
    Zadora251 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »
    Congratulation to your success and more kudos for asking for advice. You'll find many helpful people here, it's a great community.

The reason why they worry is because not providing enough food for your body is as dangerous as over feeding it.

Our bodies need certain amount of energy to function - it's called BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate). BMR means the amount of energy your body needs at complete rest - that energy is consumed by your body organs: heart, kidneys, liver, brain, skin, hair growth, sweating, breathing, etc. etc. Any activities you do - require more energy. That's why eating as little as you were is not healthy as your body does not have enough calories and nutrients for its basic functions. Undereating, needlessly, stresses your body and makes weight loss unnecessarily more difficult; it could lead to various health issues, it is hard physically and emotionally.

Since you have quite a few pounds to get rid off, setup your MFP goal for 2lb per week loss and eat all of those calories. This will give you enough calories not to starve and to have enough energy for your daily activities - and you will still lose weight. Moderate weight loss is healthier and has more chances to be sustained than over restrictive crash diets.

Your know thats what scared me she said my organs could shut down and I realized Ive been so tired and woozy lately and didnt even attribute it to my diet. I am trying my best to do better today and got yesterday I did pretty good.
  • guapa68
    guapa68 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    it also might be an idea to have an open food diary so other diabetics ( who have a good handle on their nutrition) can have a look at your diary and advice you
  • Zadora251
    Options
    Also, I eat all of the food groups and I wouldn't cut any of them out of your diet unless you have a health issue where they ie. carbs affect your health.

I have diabetes
  • Zadora251
    Options

Your friend and your doctor are right. At your weight, you can surely eat 1800 calories and still lose weight. Hell, when I first started on MFP I was able to eat close to 1800 and still lost weight. When you cut your calories that drastically it's a recipe for failure IMO. I think in your case you need to pay attention to portion sizes, read the labels on the foods you're eating to know how much you're really eating.

Educate yourself for a healthy sustainable weight loss, there are so many good stickies here that you should read. Also, stay active in this community, make friends, ask questions with an open mind. Trust me there are tons of posters here who can help you along your journey. These are my favorite must read threads:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10183824/things-i-had-to-unlearn-about-losing-weight/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10260517/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

Good luck honey!

Thank you MFP had me at over 2,500 and I nearly crapped bricks that was way too many and I will be sure to read through these
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    It can be hard to find a healthy balance. Trust me, I've been at both ends of the spectrum too. I used to over-eat to the point of sickness and I was considerably overweight for my small frame and height. After deciding I didn't want to look and feel the way I did, I started a 'diet'. A 'diet' which consisted of .. Well.. Nothing very much at all. I too feared food and gaining weight.

After a while I realized that I was doing myself absolutely no favors. Over-weight was making me miserable yet eating so little and being so deprived was making me feel far worse. Surely entering into this process was to make myself feel BETTER?! I was doing the complete opposite.

For me, it was a learning process. I had to learn, step by step, what my body required and why. I had to learn the science behind weight loss and 'calories in, calories out'. I had to learn how to fuel myself and when to recognize that I'm 'full'. Once I learnt the facts, I did this properly. I'm now a very, very healthy weight and feeling fantastic. Also, after getting to where I am now - I realized that food is NOT the enemy. It really, really doesn't have to be all or nothing. I promise.

Spend some time on MFP. Flick through the threads and gain as much knowledge and confidence in the process as you can. You must eat enough. It's important.
  • Zadora251
    Options
    I am so loving this website I have already lost 7 pounds
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I am so loving this website I have already lost 7 pounds

It's amazing what a little love can do <3

Eat well and take care of yourself, for you and your twins.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Fellow somewhat newbie and mommy of twins here :) I love that you're wanting to do things the right (healthy and sustainable) way for the sake of your children. Let that continue to be your driving force.

I used to have an unhealthy relationship with food and ended up losing weight in an unhealthy way. One day... Tired of terrible habits I started focusing on health and my relationship with food and my body changed. Now that I've incorporated the understanding of CICO into my repertoire I'm thinking I can actually make this a lifestyle change instead of yo-yoing because I find myself not liking the way I look. So many people on here have done it the right way and long term. They're inspiring!!

Keep up the good work for your beautiful twins. They want and need mommy healthy and strong. Losing weight in a healthy way will give them just that. Good luck!!
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    MasterVal wrote: »

What he said!!! Every word is correct