Your best recipe ideas?

Options
Right ladies/gents,
Am doing my weekly shopping lists and in need of some new and interesting ideas to cook for dinner. Suggestions of yummy food that's low-ish calories?
Thanks!

Replies

• boobles
    boobles Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Id love to know what others cook too :-)
  • 007lt
    007lt Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    sweet potatoes oven baked of course, couscous so you can replace rice and enjoy a naughty but low fat curry, I've been having spinach and kale stir frys with added red peppers and cubed chicken. Soups fill you up even low fat cheese spreads hmmm what else you can pretty much roast any veg (not drenched in oil ofc) with some spices and enjoy it as a side or even on its own and loads of water. Hth :)
  • KezJT
    KezJT Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    it's winter - so soups, stews, hotpots and casseroles are satisfying, easy and good for all the family. I cook them without additional carbs (dumplings/potatoes/rice etc) but with plenty of beans for bulk. hubby & kids just add bread and I get a warming full meal for .500cals.

recipe - take any veg you have, cut up, roast/boil/slow cook in stock for a while until tender. add beans. if you want soup, whizz in a blender. if you want extra protein, add cooked meat/tofu. eat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Big meditteranean vegetable stew (500g served with 100g boiled rice and 10g grated extra mature cheddar is around 300 cals)
    Generally bung and simmer for an hour chopped up - onion, celery, 3 carrots, 1 butternut squash, 2 red peppers, 2 large courgettes (zucchini), 1 aubergine (eggplant), mushrooms, 2 tins chopped tomatoes ..bay leaf, garlic, thyme, basil, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper) ...fridges well

Chicken cacciatore (350g with 100g rice and mixed salad leaves for about 350 - 400 cals)
    Salt and pepper skinless, bone in chicken thighs, brown them both sides in non-stick pan, then shove in casserole dish, pour over tin chopped tomatoes. Throw into fry pan chopped up onion, 2 x red pepper, celery with bay leaf, garlic and thyme, soften and brown. Chuck it on top of chicken, add tbsp oregano and chopped up courgettes (zucchini), salt and pepper. Cover and bake for an hour.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Here's a quick one and only about 200 calories per serving. My kids really like it too.

Lemon-garlic baked shrimp and broccoli

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Topping: Combine 1/2 c. panko or plain bread crumbs, grated rind of one lemon, and 1 t. olive oil. Stir well and set aside.

Chop one head of broccoli into bite-sized pieces. Put it in a large glass covered dish with a bit of water and microwave for 4 minutes; drain the water. Stir in 1 pound raw peeled and deveined shrimp, 2 t. olive oil, a clove or two of chopped garlic, and the juice of 1/2 lemon. Add a little salt and black pepper. Stir the topping again and then sprinkle it over the top.

Bake for about 12 minutes or until the topping starts to brown and the shrimp is done. Be careful not to overcook it, since the shrimp will have a head start on cooking when you stir it into the hot broccoli.

You can serve this with pasta or rice; sometimes I eat it alone if I'm running low on calories for the day or if I want dessert later.

• ClaireWelsh322
    ClaireWelsh322 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    YUM they all sound excellent! Thanks team
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in trying to make a tortilla lasagne. My bf was looking up recipes for it and basically I'd never heard of it before... I'm gonna make one and have it fit a 1500 calorie plan. ;)
  • katie1318
    katie1318 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Zucchini lasagna; there are plenty of recipes online!

Cauliflower rice burrito bowl:
    "Rice" cauliflower florets in a blender or by grating it on a cheese grater. Then just sauté it with black beans, salsa (or tomatoes), and greens of some sort (I like Kale, mustard greens, or turnip greens)

Veggie burgers with roasted green beans (instead of fries)