Calling all strength trainers flirting with 50 (or older)

Options
I started weight lifting seriously nearly 3 years ago and at first, I was trying to tone my body. Now, I want to take strength training and building muscle to a whole new level. I'm aware that there are risks associated with injury from weight lifting and that's why I want to be smart about it, (i.e get enough rest, stretching, good diet, etc). I turn 49 next week and I didn't think I'd be so excited about closing the door on my 40's (at least in another year). I'd like to start a discussion with those around my age category in regards to strength training. How do you train? How do you recover? How often do you do cardio?

Thanks,

Jason

Replies

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I am a little younger (41) but would like to follow along as I am interested in the discussion.

I've been following NROLFL for strength training - 3 times a week. I also do 30 minutes cardio 3-4 times a week.

Just curious what you mean by this, what are your goals?
    ready4_50 wrote: »
    Now, I want to take strength training and building muscle to a whole new level.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    I'm a little older..........LOL..........65, but I've been lifting weights for the past year and love it. I had a trainer until a few weeks ago so that helped me get off on the right foot as far as form, nutrition and progress.

I'm doing Strong Lifts now on my own 3 days a week, 1 day of all accessories or just legs sometimes, I also run with my dog 2 days a week and swim after a couple of workouts per week.

Don't let age scare you away..........this is the best thing I've ever done for my mind, body and soul.....that's not an exaggeration.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    How do you train?
    Ideally three times a week for roughly an hour. Compound lifts using a variety of equipment (barbell, dumbbell, machines plus some bodyweight exercises). Mostly pyramid style, helps me avoid injury and gives me benefits of all rep ranges.

How do you recover?
    Not as fast as I used to! :) (Well I am 55 so that's expected.) Not bad though, rarely have to take deload weeks, just listening to my body and varying intensity and/or varying lifts normally staves off fatigue and manages my fairly extensive list of old injuries.

How often do you do cardio?
    I do a load of "cardio". Mostly three times a week but one session can be a very long cycle ride.

• for_ever_young66
    for_ever_young66 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I am a little younger (41) but would like to follow along as I am interested in the discussion.

I've been following NROLFL for strength training - 3 times a week. I also do 30 minutes cardio 3-4 times a week.

Just curious what you mean by this, what are your goals?
    Now, I want to take strength training and building muscle to a whole new level.

I joined bodyspace recently and I want to track more gains more than I used to. I'm also committed to increasing muscle and my goals have shifted from weight loss to muscle gain which means I'm going to have to drastically increase my protein intake. I'm currently 6'1" 201 lbs and my BF % is just under 18. I'd like for it be closer to 15%. It's going to require commitment, discipline and a lot of focus.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Thanks for joining, I guess even you youngsters are welcome to post as well. :wink:
  • for_ever_young66
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    I'm a little older..........LOL..........65, but I've been lifting weights for the past year and love it. I had a trainer until a few weeks ago so that helped me get off on the right foot as far as form, nutrition and progress.

I'm doing Strong Lifts now on my own 3 days a week, 1 day of all accessories or just legs sometimes, I also run with my dog 2 days a week and swim after a couple of workouts per week.

Don't let age scare you away..........this is the best thing I've ever done for my mind, body and soul.....that's not an exaggeration.

This is just totally awesome I want to be like you when I grow up. And i agree with your post 100%. Your body looks fantastic and you're probably envied by women a good 20 years younger. Keep up the great work!!!
  • for_ever_young66
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    How do you train?
    Ideally three times a week for roughly an hour. Compound lifts using a variety of equipment (barbell, dumbbell, machines plus some bodyweight exercises). Mostly pyramid style, helps me avoid injury and gives me benefits of all rep ranges.

How do you recover?
    Not as fast as I used to! :) (Well I am 55 so that's expected.) Not bad though, rarely have to take deload weeks, just listening to my body and varying intensity and/or varying lifts normally staves off fatigue and manages my fairly extensive list of old injuries.

I do a load of "cardio". Mostly three times a week but one session can be a very long cycle ride.

Now, this is a blueprint of how I want to be in about 5 years. I do find myself deloading when I feel like the soreness is a little worse than what it normally is. I do need to incorporate more cardio but I hear that too much cardio can lead to muscle loss. It's a balancing act, I'm sure.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Coming up on 46 in two months. 2nd full year back in the weight room after a long time. Made some good gains in 2 years but also had to really start paying attention to how I respond and how much longer recovery is compared to a decade ago.

I follow Wendler 531, which is 4 days a week. Mon, Tue, Thurs, Fri. Wed, Sat and Sun are days off from lifting. Have a heavy day and a couple days later a lighter day with more volume. Cardio a couple times a week.

Deload is important and I follow the every 4th week deload. Lighter weights but higher volume. Joints, muscles, tendons and ligaments appreciate it
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    54 here... Started Stronglifts 5x5 about a year ago after I lost 60-ish pounds (good), but looked pretty flabby (bad). Currently up about 18 pounds, about half of which is muscle I didn't have before. Volume on Stronglifts was getting getting to me (just can't recover like I did a few decades ago), so I'm currently in the first few weeks of a Madcow cycle. Cardio...depends on the time of year. I lift to stay in shape for other sports, not vice-versa. When I have light in the evenings, I'm doing some sort of sport (biking most of the time). During the dark months, I try to force myself to do something cardio-ish during the week, and ski at least once on the weekend.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Flirting with some age here.

I have kept the weight off for a while now. It has turned to body recomposition for me.

I do compound lifts twice a week. I add in protein shakes for high nutrient calories.

I do triathlons for a hobby and personal challenge. I am training for an IronMan now. Did a 50 mile ride today followed by a 10K run. I am tired. But also in the best shape of my life.

Age is a bit of a factor. But determination and self discipline are greater.

I do need more rest now than in my 30's. Junk food is not my friend. As I have gotten older I burn fewer cslories. So what I eat needs to bring some nutrition to the table.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    How do you train?

How do you recover?

Now, this is a blueprint of how I want to be in about 5 years. I do find myself deloading when I feel like the soreness is a little worse than what it normally is. I do need to incorporate more cardio but I hear that too much cardio can lead to muscle loss. It's a balancing act, I'm sure.

The bolded part is one of those horrendous myths that float around gyms and stop people getting fit!!
    The amount of cardio needed to cause muscle loss is so high that it's simply not an issue for 99.9% of people - if it happens at all the likely culprit is inadequate nutrition and not the exercise itself.
    There are genuine issues but they are from hard cardio potentially impacting muscle recovery and gym performance. That's where the balancing act comes in.

If you want a practical example I dropped strength training completely for 8 weeks and dedicated myself exclusively to train for a 113 mile cycle ride. Did a huge volume of cardio, at lot at very high intensity. Result was adding an inch to my quads and my leg press at my knee injury imposed limit increased from 5 reps to 20 reps when I returned to weight training.

The balance would be I lost a little upper body strength but that came back within a couple of weeks.

• southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 70. Been lifting for a long time. I do push one day then pull and day 3 is eliptical I'm now on a weight reduction program to loose body weight. I'm at the point where I never increase my lifting weights as I don't want any injuries, plus I don't need the extra muscle weight. I lift faster and lighter with more reps to keep in shape. I'm down from 260 to 205 and just have to loose those last tough 20 pounds. My blood work came back great from working out this way and loosing weight, so I'll stick with it and maby get back in those 34 pants.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 70. Been lifting for a long time. I do push one day then pull and day 3 is eliptical I'm now on a weight reduction program to loose body weight. I'm at the point where I never increase my lifting weights as I don't want any injuries, plus I don't need the extra muscle weight. I lift faster and lighter with more reps to keep in shape. I'm down from 260 to 205 and just have to loose those last tough 20 pounds. My blood work came back great from working out this way and loosing weight, so I'll stick with it and maby get back in those 34 pants.

Impressive!
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 & have been lifting weights for about 3 years. I also do sprinting, Krav Maga, tabata/HITT, ladder/cone/ bosu agility/speed drills, walking, yoga, Zumba swimming...and enjoy all of it. I train 5 days/week Monday to Friday and do light activity/active stretching on the weekend along with the usual yard and housework.

I strength train with free weights and body weight exercises using mostly compound lifts. The only machines I use are the free motion cable machine, cable row & lat pull down and assisted pullup/dip machine.

I train in multiple areas sometimes strength where I do sets x reps either 4 x 8, 5 x 5 or 6 x 3. Other times I'll focus on power and do Olympic lifts and/or plyo metric exercises using low reps with full rest. Other times I'll follow an escalated density program or minimalist strength program for strength endurance.

Usually I tend to do strength training 2-4 times/week and cardio (HIIT, sprinting, speed/agility work on the alternate days again 2-4 times/week).

I program my own programs and workouts most of the time. Each program lasts 4 - 8 weeks on average and I deload (play) with a new program during the first week to get a feel of the exercises/weights, sets, reps, etc. before hitting it full swing.

Usually at Christmas and 1 week over the summer I do a week or two of sporadic workouts, nothing planned or formal, & may or may not workout depending on how I feel.