Is there any easy preparation or no preparation meals for weight loss?

Options
I don't like to prepare food. I will eat out easily if I need to spend too much time to prepare food. I need to lose 65lbs from 218.2 lbs. Please help. :#

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    By no prep, can you at least re-heat things in a microwave?

Honestly, you don't need to change WHAT you're eating to lose weight. You just need to make sure you're eating fewer calories than your body uses in a day. In theory, you could eat twinkies all day and still lose weight as long as you were still averaging a calorie deficit.

I don't cook all that much, really. You can buy pre-cut veggies and little containers of something to dip them in if you didn't want to be bothered dolloping peanut butter in a little cup or cutting up carrots. I eat my share of sandwiches. Again, you have to make them, but it's not like there's cooking. Snack cheese in individual packages. Yogurt in individual packages.... really you can be as non-prep as you want and still lose. It's all about accurately tracking the calories, in my opinion.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Find Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, etc., meals that you like. Buy steam-in-bag frozen veggies. Buy the things that WBB55 listed.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I have an irrational love of the jacket potato so I ate loads when I was losing weight. Bung in the oven, add beans/tuna/whatever filling you like, eat. Next to no washing up and dead simple. Go easy on butter and mayo and you can get a decent dinner for under 500 calories. I usually have salad with mine too.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Find Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, etc., meals that you like. Buy steam-in-bag frozen veggies. Buy the things that WBB55 listed.

I definitely agree that Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice meals are great for when you don't want to prep food! They tend to be around the amount of calories that I want to eat for dinner, which is what it really comes down to for weight loss. I especially like that I don't have to portion anything - if I'm feeling tired, I just put it in the microwave for a few minutes and then dinner is ready! OP, you can choose whatever foods you want to eat, as long as they are within your calorie goal.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    You can buy already cooked meats at the grocery store like fish (they'll often cook it for you while you shop) or chicken breast. add a bagged salad and you're set.

If you want great options when you are eating out, Panera has a good amount of low-cal options (with calorie content next to each item). Otherwise, check a restaurant's website before you go to plan it out.

I tend to avoid the frozen meals, too much salt and preservatives.
  • ammo7
    ammo7 Posts: 188 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »

I tend to avoid the frozen meals, too much salt and preservatives.

Yep, a lot of the frozen meals have insane amounts of salt! But if you just spend some time checking the packaging, it shouldn't be too hard to find some reasonable ones (that are even cheap and tasty)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    How much prep is too much? We had a great meal the other night. I opened and reheated frozen diced chicken. I opened and rinsed off a can of corn and a can of black beans. I heated an Uncle Ben's rice pouch. I opened a bag of lettuce. I did exert myself and chop some fresh tomatoes, LOL. You make up a yummy salad with all of the above, drizzle a bit of Southwest Ranch on top and you're good to go. (If sodium is a concern, both the beans and corn should be available in low sodium or no salt added versions. The rice if you get just the plain rice, not any of the flavored ones, has almost no sodium.)
  • sjv1966
    sjv1966 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've been doing pretty well lately without cooking. I like to cook -- but just haven't had the time. A normal day for me is:

Breakfast: hard boiled egg or a cheese stick and piece of fruit
    Lunch: take-out salad. Be careful to look up the calories of the salad AND the dressing -- they can really vary.
    Mid-afternoon snack - a granola bar with nuts in it or small quantity of trail mix
    Supper - can of soup, low sodium if possible

If I want an extra snack I have a can of tuna or some sliced turkey from the deli counter or some cut up veggies with low-cal dressing.

• batgirllive
    batgirllive Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am huge fan of rice/quinoa bowls made with things I can microwave. I buy frozen rice or quinoa, steamfresh veggies and canned red beans. I cook everything except the beans, split into three tupperware containers and leave in the fridge to bring to work. For added flavor I often bring salsa and sour cream as well.. All together about 300 easy microwavable calories.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you, not into cooking or preparing food at all. 117lbs lost so far, quick easy meals that are tasty and sustainable for me are key!

My go to meal is always the same. I buy the multi grain pocket pitas in the bread aisle (100 calories), stuff with half a slice of cheese (35 cals), and 2 oz of whatever deli meat I want.. usually Turkey or Ham (50 cals) and stick it in the toaster oven for 5 mins. Ooey gooey melty cheesy yummy sandwich. I weigh everything out for accuracy, and always eat it with .8 oz of Sunchips (112 cals). Perfect no cook meal for me. If you want to watch the sodium you can sub out the deli meat for chicken breast (bake in the oven, cut it up, store in baggies). Meal under 300 calories. You can sub the chips for veggies.. but I don't!

You can use different flavors of cheese, meats, add extra stuff in if you want sauce whatever. Always mix it up, but its an easy quick meal that takes me about 5-7 min to prepare including heat up time.

I recommend provolone and pepperoni, nom nom nom!
  • nick21g
    nick21g Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sodium levels aren't really too big of an issue unless your a competitive body builder, who only has 5% body fat, microwave meals are often a much better choice than take away. my fav easy to make meals is simply Uncle Bens's rice and some tuna! GREAT! macros, literally take 2 min to make and clean up, and leaves you feeling full and satisfied!
  • KaterinaDokuzova94
    KaterinaDokuzova94 Posts: 83 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    swu726 wrote: »
    I don't like to prepare food. I will eat out easily if I need to spend too much time to prepare food. I need to lose 65lbs from 218.2 lbs. Please help. :#

You can prepear oats with yogurt, honey and banana for breakfast.Soups are pretty easy to make for dinner (30-60 min) , you can also make rice or pasta with tomato sause.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, one needs to be in a deficit. You can eat what you only do, only less. BUT.... :sunglasses: , If you take a bit of time on the weekend, you can grill or bake chicken breast for the week and I cook rice in bulk, for the same. Veggies I like to cut up fresh, or grab the bags already done for you.
  • KaterinaDokuzova94
    KaterinaDokuzova94 Posts: 83 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    To lose weight, one needs to be in a deficit. You can eat what you only do, only less. BUT.... :sunglasses: , If you take a bit of time on the weekend, you can grill or bake chicken breast for the week and I cook rice in bulk, for the same. Veggies I like to cut up fresh, or grab the bags already done for you.

I don't belive in starvation. I eat a lot of food mostly home made by myself but I also workout a lot. The important thing is that food should be less processed and more natural and your meals be more simple.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The important thing is that food should be less processed and more natural and your meals be more simple.
    There's nothing wrong with processing. Processed foods are fast, convenient, and easy to obtain. Some are more nutritionally rounded than others but that's true of any food.

If the OP is trying to avoid fast food by having fast, easy choices at home, frozen dinners and other processed foods are a workable options.
  • TracyeS4
    TracyeS4 Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I like to have easy meal ideas in mind and on hand for the days that I work late. My favorites are tacos w/carb smart wheat tortillas, salmon and frozen veggies, steak and frozen brussels sprouts, fajitas, turkey burgers with sweet potato fries, homemade pizza on whole wheat crust, chicken stir fry with brown rice... all very fast meals with very little prep.
  • TracyeS4
    Options
    Also, on those days that I don't have the time/energy/supplies to prepare dinner, I have a back-up plan. I have acceptable meals picked out from surrounding restaurants. My husband and I cut out fast food completely so that we are not tempted to eat outside of our healthy life style.
  • TracyeS4
    Options
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    I am right there with you, not into cooking or preparing food at all. 117lbs lost so far, quick easy meals that are tasty and sustainable for me are key!

My go to meal is always the same. I buy the multi grain pocket pitas in the bread aisle (100 calories), stuff with half a slice of cheese (35 cals), and 2 oz of whatever deli meat I want.. usually Turkey or Ham (50 cals) and stick it in the toaster oven for 5 mins. Ooey gooey melty cheesy yummy sandwich. I weigh everything out for accuracy, and always eat it with .8 oz of Sunchips (112 cals). Perfect no cook meal for me. If you want to watch the sodium you can sub out the deli meat for chicken breast (bake in the oven, cut it up, store in baggies). Meal under 300 calories. You can sub the chips for veggies.. but I don't!

You can use different flavors of cheese, meats, add extra stuff in if you want sauce whatever. Always mix it up, but its an easy quick meal that takes me about 5-7 min to prepare including heat up time.

I recommend provolone and pepperoni, nom nom nom!

Yup, I will be stealing that. Yum
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    How much prep is too much? We had a great meal the other night. I opened and reheated frozen diced chicken. I opened and rinsed off a can of corn and a can of black beans. I heated an Uncle Ben's rice pouch. I opened a bag of lettuce. I did exert myself and chop some fresh tomatoes, LOL. You make up a yummy salad with all of the above, drizzle a bit of Southwest Ranch on top and you're good to go. (If sodium is a concern, both the beans and corn should be available in low sodium or no salt added versions. The rice if you get just the plain rice, not any of the flavored ones, has almost no sodium.)

Yummy, that will fill my tummy!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    The important thing is that food should be less processed and more natural and your meals be more simple.
    There's nothing wrong with processing. Processed foods are fast, convenient, and easy to obtain. Some are more nutritionally rounded than others but that's true of any food.

If the OP is trying to avoid fast food by having fast, easy choices at home, frozen dinners and other processed foods are a workable options.

Riiiight...except for all of unnecessary chemical preservatives/flavor enhancers and the bucketloads of salt. Many commercial frozen meals have a full day's worth of salt in one serving.

There are lots of easy meals that require minimal prep. Cottage cheese + fruit; yogurt smoothie; green salad + meat, turkey burger + yam/sweet potato, veggie sandwich on whole-grain bread, etc.

You can also make your own soups and freeze them ahead of time for easy, healthy, re-heatable meals.

Buying pre-prepped/chopped veggies at the grocery store might be useful too.