Eat This, Not That....Chuck Full of Malarkey!

Options
I used to read the website, Eat This Not That all the time.

I remember that I used to look for weight loss tips and nuggets to help me lose weight and keep it off.

Now that I fully understand the concept of CICO and that all these magic tips and tricks either don't work or are just unnecessary, I find the articles on Eat This, Not That to basically be laughable.

Here is one of their most recent. 25 Things You Did Today That RUINED Your Metabolism.

http://www.eatthis.com/things-you-did-today-to-slow-your-metabolism

One, if you ruined your metabolism....you'd be dead. It's fearmongering at it's finest. Secondly, nothing it said is true. Some of the things on the list are about basic health, but nothing on the list ruins your metabolism. Nada.

Here is the list:

1. YOU DIDN’T GET A GOOD NIGHT’S SLEEP - Nope.
2. 2. YOU STARTED YOUR DAY DEHYRATED - Nope.
3. YOU DRANK TOO MUCH CAFFEINE - Nope.
4. YOU SIT TOO MUCH - Nope.
5. YOU DIDN’T EAT ORGANIC - Nope.
6. YOU ATE TOO MANY CALORIES TOO LATE IN THE DAY - Nope.
7. YOU SPRINKLE FOOD WITH SEA SALT - Nope.
8. YOUR HOME OR WORKPLACE IS TOO WARM - Nope.
9. YOU'VE NIXED CARBS COMPLETELY - Nope.
10. YOUR ENTIRE FOCUS IS ON LIFTING WEIGHTS, NOT LOWERING THEM - Nope.
11. YOU DON'T SNACK LIKE A NUT - Nope.
12. YOU'RE NOT BEING INTENSE (HIIT) - Nope.
13. YOU'RE WORKING OUT AT THE WRONG TIME - Nope.
14. YOU’RE EATING INCONSISTENT AMOUNTS AT IRREGULAR TIMES - Nope.
15. YOU’RE CONSUMING TOO MANY PESTICIDES - Nope.
16. YOU’RE CONSUMING DIETARY TOXINS IN PROCESSED FOODS - Nope. Toxins. Cute.
17. YOU’RE DRINKING WATER CONTAINING FLUORIDE AND CHLORINE - Nope.
18. YOU’RE TAKING UNNECESSARY MEDS - Nope.
19. YOU’RE EATING TOO LITTLE - Nope. Starvation mode. Still a myth.
20. YOU’RE NOT EATING ENOUGH PROTEIN - Nope.
21. YOU'RE NOT CATCHING ENOUGH D. - Nope.
22. YOU’RE NOT GETTING ENOUGH CALCIUM - Nope.
23. YOU’RE EATING REFINED CARBOHYDRATES - Nope. LOLZ.
24. YOU’RE EATING TOO MANY SWEETS - Nope. More LOLZ.
25. YOU'RE DRINKING TOO MUCH ALCOHOL - Nope.

I did burn some calories laughing at so many weight loss myths in one article. So so many. Take a look at the whole site, it's pretty disgusting actually. They are working to twist and confuse everything and then sell you a magic book or program that will bring you that weight loss success. Disappoint.

Instead of Eat This, Not That....I have found success eating All Of This, Just in Less Quantities.

Replies

• Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Good post!
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Oh those pesky toxins!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Good post. It drives me utterly barmey how much woo is out there surrounding weight loss. It is such an industry these days that fearmongering, misinformation and straight out lies are the order of the day.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Wut? No woo?
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    But they did have some nice recipes for overnight oats so it wasn't a completely wasted page
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Yeah its a joke. Those type of tips drive me nuts! I hate that newcomers would read that site and actually believe weight loss was that complicated. If I was new and stumbled upon that site, I would think " this is never going to happen for me! Too many rules and tricks to remember!" So that's why those sites drive me nuts! I was new once and seriously didn't know anything. So if I wouldve read all that unnecessary craziness I would've given up that day ! Lol

There's only one real tip needed-
    Eat at a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight !:)
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Yeah its a joke. Those type of tips drive me nuts! I hate that newcomers would read that site and actually believe weight loss was that complicated. If I was new and stumbled upon that site, I would think " this is never going to happen for me! Too many rules and tricks to remember!" So that's why those sites drive me nuts! I was new once and seriously didn't know anything. So if I wouldve read all that unnecessary craziness I would've given up that day ! Lol

There's only one real tip needed-
    Eat at a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight !:)

Oh my god this. I used to limit myself and mess myself up reading about bad this and good that and this time and that time and this not that and sleeping this not that.

Thank Cthulu someone made me check out MFP
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    This stuff is gold. Thanks for posting it!
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Damn, some people fish for excuses anywhere they possibly can.
    The stars are probably not right for weight loss either, and don't forget to sacrifice to the gods, but only organic.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Love it!

The bottom line is that there are no magic situations or solutions to weight loss.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    But all the people who want excuses rather than results need web sites like that. Should we be critical of those that want some comfort in a pillow to cry on?

Why yes. Yes we should!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the laugh.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Good post!

Thanks! That website just now confirms for me why I basically get HULK SMASH rage angry with the weight loss industry and how deceptive they are. And the cautionary tale is that a few years ago, I read every word of that place like it was gold.

Same here!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think every person who gave me unhelpful advice about weight loss read crap like that.

Weight loss is not complicated. It's actually extremely simple, just not easy.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    But they did have some nice recipes for overnight oats so it wasn't a completely wasted page

I've wanted to try overnight oats because I heard they have magic weight loss proprties.

Just kidding about the weight loss proprties, but I hear they're pretty good. :)
  • SuperheroSadie
    SuperheroSadie Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I used to use their website a lot for eating out-- I still consult it a bit when I get pulled to an applebees or Outback Steak House! You can't really screw up calorie and fat counting. :smile:

Regardless, the rest of their stuff is just clickbait!
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yeah I used to follow them on Facebook, but they posted stuff like that all the time. So I stopped following them. No wonder so many people are misinformed when it comes to health and weight loss.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Veggie sticks will never be an acceptable substitute for nahos or loaded potato skins. That is all.