How much exercise?

Options
Ok this might seem like a silly question but here goes... How much exercise is too much?
I started on this site 5/3/11 and have lost 17lbs so far and I am starting to have more energy. I started the 30 day shred yesterday and after the shred i spent about an hour swimming in the pool. Today before the shred I got on the treadmill and just spent 50 minutes dancing(wii). Besides my thighs being sore I feel like doing more but don't want to do to much. Any answers?

Replies

• KierstyPants
    KierstyPants Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I exercise 2-3 hours a day.
    I don't normally see anything being as TOO much unless it's all that you're doing and you have no time for much of anything else.
    and especially make sure you have rest days. :]
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Go all out!!!!! I started with 45 minutes a day each time I went to the gym. I didnt want to plateau. My fear now has me working out for at least 1 hr- 1hr 45 minutes.
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating to sustain higher levels of exercise then you should be ok. But if you have been sedentary for a long time, this may be a good question to ask your doctor. It all depends on your current levels and what types of injuries you could incur. Talk with your Doc!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough of your exercise calories back so your body can repair itself. And don't forget to take rest days here and there.
  • lammermoor27
    Options
    Having once been "addicted" to exercise as a neurotic preteen, I think the only time you cross into the too much exercise zone is when you neglect other facets of your life and myopically focus on working out. Your body was made to be in (almost) constant motion. So as long as it feels good, and you aren't hurting yourself, why not?
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    I started on here on May 17th with just exercising with the Jenny McCarthy Your Shape game on the Wii for 15 minutes. Now I've worked up to a 2 miles walk/jog in about 33 minutes, a 10 minutes walk/jog on my break at work, and I also have noticed that I have a ton more energy! While the kids were in the tub tonight, I straightened up the front room, swept & vacuumed in there! Seriously, that never happens with me! Great job & keep it up!
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Generally, whatever you do your body will adapt. That is if you continue to allow for rest days and your eating the right amount of calories. As exhausted as our bodies can get we can always do a little bit more. Mental toughness and all that.
  • skinnymeinaz
    skinnymeinaz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips! I don't think I have any rest days with Jillian though it is 30 days straight.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    The only big red flag is if you do not cycle your exercise. Particularly if get really good at something such as running, cycling etc. Eventually if you get in a good enough shape and push yourself you will over train. Just remember that ever so often you need time off. What those cycles look like well depend on what you are doing. Lifting weights it would be a week or two off every 8-12 weeks. For aerobics it would be less often and probably a shorter break.