Workout daily... yet no muscle definition... sensitive topic, past ED

Options
lizhope1
lizhope1 Posts: 20 Member
edited November 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone!
So I have a question... and please keep in mind- this is a sensitive topic.

OK. So I love working out to feel good. This is huge! I struggled with disordered eating and amenorrhea as a teen and am on a good track by God's grace... eat and exercise to feel good!

Well, I workout most days, but I haven't researched much on how to push myself. I am not trying to lose weight. That is a dangerous place for me and I'm ok with what is... i a rarely weigh, but i'm about 130-133 lbs at 5'3" or so a few months ago, where I comfortably maintain and have for a while (weighing is triggering for me, so I don't own a scale. But I feel like i have no definition and don't have any muscle definition. How do you workout to get definition in abs and arms? I kinda wish I looked fit cause I workout daily! I'm also afraid to go to far w/ losing weight because i lost my period for many years and it's been very regular now for 2 years and i want to have children in the relatively nearish future so this is important to me to maintain and my cycles are very sensitive to stress, diet and exercise...

Here are a few pics of where things are now (random pics i've taken for my husband over the months)... maybe i'm just nitpicking... i feel healthy and am so grateful for that!!! But I kinda would like my tummy and arms to be more toned and to see definition in them... kinda don't like my tummy and that's my trouble area where my fat goes... oh and please be sensitive in your responses... i'm very modest and self conscious and would never wear a bikini... so after i get some responses i'll delete this. thx! :D

Suggestions?jxq5z56owqtg.jpg
645pldhs7as3.jpg
sis9883ncr3k.jpg
lyvaf4sci741.jpg
ntbjkuiebokq.jpg

Replies

• lizhope1
    edited November 2015
    Options
    lol i posted a wedding pic and didn't mean to put that in... haha but i guess it gives the image that i look a lot better in clothes than not in them (it was from May)...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you're not already lifting weights, try it. Eat as you are now (you look healthy.) There are many beginner programs. Three popular programs are:

-Strong Curves
    -New Rules of Lifting for Women
    -Stronglifts 5x5
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If you're working out to gain muscle mass (which is what definition really requires) you shouldn't be doing that daily unless you're being good at not training the same muscles on sequential days - you don't build muscle in the gym, you build muscle on your rest days. Personally I believe in the whole-body 3x per week approach, where you work out three times per week and have four rest days. Of course you can still do other things on rest days - I walk or hike - but you don't want to overtrain. Essentially, training causes microscopic damage to the muscle, and it's that damage that makes the muscle repair itself stronger. You need to give that repair time to happen, otherwise the damage just accumulates and you actually lose strength until you take enough time to recover.

You will need to incorporate resistance training (weights, resistance bands, machines, etc.) and your goal needs to be to push yourself so that, as much as possible, you see progress between sessions. I.e. using more resistance, doing more reps/sets, etc.

What I had always heard for building muscle mass is that you want to do a lower number of reps of a high-intensity exercise. If you're able to do more than about 15 reps in a set, you're probably not using enough resistance.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You say you are "working out" but you don't specify what kind of workouts you are doing.

As stated above you should be following a progressive resistance training program. The ones listed are good (I highly suggest the New Rules of Lifting program, it teaches a lot). Lifting and eating to maintain weight will help your body change shape, especially with a prior eating disorder. It's a slow process. You look good currently, so don't get discouraged.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    "working out" is kind of a generalized description...what exactly are you doing?

you aren't going to substantially alter your body composition if most of what you're doing is cardiovascular exercise...cardiovascular exercise is great for the heart and cardiovascular system, but you need to do resistance training to change your body composition.

in that RE you should do an established program and follow that program to garner the best and most efficient results. keep in mind that it's still a slow process...a fitness body is derived from a fitness lifestyle, not a handful of weeks or months of working out.

also, you don't have to workout every single day. doing a program like New Rules of Lifting for Women, for example, will have you lifting 3x per week...from there you can mix in some cardio a few days per week and take a day or two of rest. rest is where your body recovers and the magic happens...the exercise itself is just the catalyst...proper rest is where the good stuff happens.

if you're not familiar with the weight room, New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great place to start...the read alone is worth it and will help explain what you're doing and why. the program itself is a pretty good general fitness program but gets a bit convoluted towards the end of the program which is where my wife switched over to Strong Curves...but she always recommends to her friends to start with New Rules first as it familiarizes you with more basic movements and gets you comfortable with them before moving on to other things.
  • lizhope1
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ok working out...

I love cardio (used to run, but got 3 stress fractures in a few years)... so I mostly do elliptical (get my heart rate pretty high... definitely sweating and maybe heart btwn 150-160 bpm) somewhere between 30-45 minutes. I do jog for 30-40 minutes a few times a week, but am hoping to increase this as I am injury free for the first time in a long time. Usually sometimes cardio since I love cardio! Once in a while I will do an exercise bike.

I do weights and core stuff, usually about 20 min 3x a week. I was doing the same stuff for a while, on my own, that i learned in books, but i haven't read anything lately so it was the same exercises over and over. In the past few weeks I've branched out and have been taking a sculpting class at my gym, which includes core stuff and weights. Nice to switch it up... but I always kinda look the same, which is fine- not looking to be like a fitness model or anything... but it would nice to see some definition and flattening in the belly because i always tend to have fat that sticks out in that area. So lately i've been taking the class once a week, and then doing similar exercises to this about 20 min 2 other times during the week.

I only have 45 min to an hour each morning so i want to maximize it...

Exercise used to be about losing weight... then it has become strictly to feel good... i kinda want to do it to feel good, plus not be scared to research how to use it to change my looks a bit too :) I haven't done much research on exercise in a while... kinda just do what feels good... mostly lots of cardio.
  • valmaebel
    valmaebel Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    If you're working out to gain muscle mass (which is what definition really requires) you shouldn't be doing that daily unless you're being good at not training the same muscles on sequential days - you don't build muscle in the gym, you build muscle on your rest days. Personally I believe in the whole-body 3x per week approach, where you work out three times per week and have four rest days. Of course you can still do other things on rest days - I walk or hike - but you don't want to overtrain. Essentially, training causes microscopic damage to the muscle, and it's that damage that makes the muscle repair itself stronger. You need to give that repair time to happen, otherwise the damage just accumulates and you actually lose strength until you take enough time to recover.

You will need to incorporate resistance training (weights, resistance bands, machines, etc.) and your goal needs to be to push yourself so that, as much as possible, you see progress between sessions. I.e. using more resistance, doing more reps/sets, etc.

What I had always heard for building muscle mass is that you want to do a lower number of reps of a high-intensity exercise. If you're able to do more than about 15 reps in a set, you're probably not using enough resistance.

Just chiming in to second this. If you are doing a strength or force workout, give yourself a day or two to recuperate in between each one, Enudrance cardio workouts you can put in between the strength of force workouts as part of recovery. But those endurance workouts should be long but easy workouts...not pushing the muscles too much.
  • lizhope1
    Options
    Oh and i don't know how much I eat... i eat to hunger, probably around, or maybe slightly above 2000 cals? Don't focus on it.. But I am active, when I'm not working out I work w/ kids all day. But I eat all whole foods, nothing processed, very little sugar... primarily paleoish... cause i feel better this way...
  • lizhope1
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I can't afford a personal trainer now, but i think taking fitness classes are good (only have time 1x a week now, but it gives me ideas). because i've never worked with a trainer, or done classes before the last few weeks, i think i don't push myself that hard sometimes w/ strength training, and also i think my form is a bit off. In the class there have been several times the teacher has come over to correct my form during the movements...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    lizhope1 wrote: »
    ok working out...

I love cardio (used to run, but got 3 stress fractures in a few years)... so I mostly do elliptical (get my heart rate pretty high... definitely sweating and maybe heart btwn 150-160 bpm) somewhere between 30-45 minutes. I do jog for 30-40 minutes a few times a week, but am hoping to increase this as I am injury free for the first time in a long time. Usually sometimes cardio since I love cardio! Once in a while I will do an exercise bike.

I do weights and core stuff, usually about 20 min 3x a week. I was doing the same stuff for a while, on my own, that i learned in books, but i haven't read anything lately so it was the same exercises over and over. In the past few weeks I've branched out and have been taking a sculpting class at my gym, which includes core stuff and weights. Nice to switch it up... but I always kinda look the same, which is fine- not looking to be like a fitness model or anything... but it would nice to see some definition and flattening in the belly because i always tend to have fat that sticks out in that area. So lately i've been taking the class once a week, and then doing similar exercises to this about 20 min 2 other times during the week.

I only have 45 min to an hour each morning so i want to maximize it...

Exercise used to be about losing weight... then it has become strictly to feel good... i kinda want to do it to feel good, plus not be scared to research how to use it to change my looks a bit too :) I haven't done much research on exercise in a while... kinda just do what feels good... mostly lots of cardio.

Okay, so you need to find a program and follow it. Doing "core stuff" isn't going to magically make you lose belly fat. A lifting program will do more for your body and your core than 20 minutes of whatever you are currently doing. 45 minutes 3-4 days per week of lifting is maximizing your time more so than doing cardio every day with a little bit of core work for part of your session 3 days per week.
  • lizhope1
    Options
    Do you have any good resources on how to find a lifting program? I really know not much!... i just kinda lift, but wonder if i'm doing something wrong, and have trouble thinking of things to do sometimes
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell what you're doing or how long you've been doing it.

You need some sort of progressive program, whatever you choose. You may not be using enough weight. Or doing enough reps. Or sets. Or something. Also, you may be looking for results too quickly.

If you don't know what you're doing, I'd suggest working with a personal trainer rather than trial and error of the self-help online sites.
  • lizhope1
    Options
    thanks... personal training is out of budget but i can use books or classes since classes at my gym are free... i only have time to attend a class once a week, but I can fit in shorter strength workouts in the morning throughout the week
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Musclefitnesswomen.com

You sound like you just want some muscle and a few curves where you would find attractive

Body contour with a little healthy muscle.

As a guy I always find deadlifts and squats with push-ups will be a good two times a week workout to keep a generally decent shape.

Congrats on the progress you have made. You have much to be proud of. Nice wedding pic.

Adding the muscle is often the most fun part!

Lots of women on here have done what you seek to do. Listen to the voice of experience.

• foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Pickup/push heavy weights using compound lifts on a schedule. There are many variations, but that is really what it comes down to. Plus, remember to eat. Use the following program: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

That program will last you a really long while and just keep adding weight and pushing yourself.

• tbowz75
    tbowz75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great job overcoming ED!
    You look beautiful!!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You need to lift. We have the same stats, but a different body fat %. Lifting with a progressive overload, while eating around maintenance, will help your body composition.
  • lizhope1
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Good suggestions! Will look into all of that :)

tbows75- Thanks :) it's not something i ever want to obsess about again. i'm done w/ that prison, thank God and healthy. i'm comfortable here (have maintained around here very comfortably for a few years), and am happy with my relationship w/ food and my weight and grateful... would rather be a bit heavier than obsessively slim/muscular... basically be healthy and feel good and let go... but sometimes i do want to tone up and look a bit fitter (since i tend to store weight on my belly), without obsessing... ya know? I've never worked out purposefully to gain muscle. it was always to lose weight... and then it became strictly to feel good...

Arditarose- what is your body fat? You look really amazing!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    lizhope1 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! Good suggestions! Will look into all of that :)

tbows75- Thanks :) it's not something i ever want to obsess about again. i'm done w/ that prison, thank God and healthy. i'm comfortable here (have maintained around here very comfortably for a few years), and am happy with my relationship w/ food and my weight and grateful... would rather be a bit heavier than obsessively slim/muscular... basically be healthy and feel good and let go... but sometimes i do want to tone up and look a bit fitter (since i tend to store weight on my belly), without obsessing... ya know? I've never worked out purposefully to gain muscle. it was always to lose weight... and then it became strictly to feel good...

Arditarose- what is your body fat? You look really amazing!

I don't know. Probably somewhere around 20-22% Thanks!