Runners With Asthma

Options
How do you do it?

I have allergy induced asthma which doesn't normally bother me too much. I just started running (more of a fast walk mixed with a slow jog at this point) and at first it didn't really bother my asthma. But now with it getting colder and it being cinnamon season (I'm horribly allergic to cinnamon) it's starting to bother me more and more.

I'd like to start running regularly but my asthma is making it hard especially since I'm new to it. So what's the secret to running with asthma?

Replies

• LegalMom0928
    LegalMom0928 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is making sure your asthma and allergies are well controlled. If you aren't on a prevention med for either/both, you may want to talk to your Dr. about it. It can make all the difference in the world. If they aren't severe enough for a control med, maybe using your rescue inhaler and taking an allergy pill before you start your run? I use my inhaler about 10 min before I start and that usually prevents any flare ups.

Staying warm, drinking warm water, warming up properly all help as well.

The more you exercise, the more your lungs will adjust. Often, over time, people find that their symptoms decrease and that exercise actually helps improve lung function. It takes time though, and you have to really control it in the mean time. Asthma is nothing to mess around with!
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I agree that the place to start is with your doctor. I use three different medications to help me live a normal life.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is making sure your asthma and allergies are well controlled. If you aren't on a prevention med for either/both, you may want to talk to your Dr. about it. It can make all the difference in the world. If they aren't severe enough for a control med, maybe using your rescue inhaler and taking an allergy pill before you start your run? I use my inhaler about 10 min before I start and that usually prevents any flare ups.

Staying warm, drinking warm water, warming up properly all help as well.

The more you exercise, the more your lungs will adjust. Often, over time, people find that their symptoms decrease and that exercise actually helps improve lung function. It takes time though, and you have to really control it in the mean time. Asthma is nothing to mess around with!

Before I lost weight, I was on Advair to control my symptoms. I feel kind of stupid now but it never even crossed my mind that maybe I should start taking it again until you suggested a control med. Thanks for the advice!