I hate the treadmill, but winter is coming...any tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Nothing will ever take place of running outdoors!!! Hands down!

I just bought a treadmill and I feel like a hamster on it. What I end up doing is running on it as a warm up on my really cool days (get my heart rate up, and get my sweat on and head right out doors) and it makes my run much better to go out side as I only have to do minimal warm up to the climate except getting my breathing in check and pace started.

I do live in the south and will have many more 50+ mornings to run, but there will be plenty of 40- days as well so I will dress in my "cool gear", running gloves and warm up with a sweat before I head outside..
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Cant help you, I LOVE my treadmill, regardless of the season..I think it gets used more than any other piece of equipment or item in my house, including the vacuum, stove washer and dryer!
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I've had to make friends with the treadmill. Wind chills can get to -40 below where I live. I've learned I can't watch tv on the treadmill at the gym. I'm 5'2" and I have to tilt my head upwards to watch the tv and it really affects me. It's not my normal running posture. So I listen to music or great podcasts. And people watch.

I also have learned I run slower on the treadmill than I do outside. If I try to run the same pace it is not pretty.

If I'm tired I set short goals like run .9 miles and walk .1. It really helps.

I try to run in anything above 20 degrees but below that it's the treadmill.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @kvansteen Layers, Layers and Layers. Like @7lenny7 said.
    I spend at least 4 months in the dark deep freeze of winter - Northern Canada.
    We are already in the Cold/Snowy days of early winter.
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I live in Minnesota and plan to run outside all winter long. Watch the forecast and dress for the weather.
    gia07 wrote: »
    Nothing will ever take place of running outdoors!!! Hands down! I do live in the south and will have many more 50+ mornings to run, but there will be plenty of 40- days as well so I will dress in my "cool gear", running gloves and warm up with a sweat before I head outside..
    @gia07 I agree with you on running outdoors. Running Outdoors is so therapeutic. The varied scenery that helps keep your mind busy and subtle or extreme terrain changes that are so good for improving your core and balance. Your cold days are my "Heat Wave days".

kvansteen Some links for you that might help you discover a love of outdoors even in the cold of winter.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/cold-weather-running/10-tips-for-running-in-the-cold
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-apparel/cold-weather-running-gear
    http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10059519/running-gear-is-taking-over-my-wardrobe#latest
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1421140/cold-weather-running-gear

I can't find the one really good discussion where people had attached pictures of their favorite gear and a Chart Showing Clothing for the different temperatures and conditions.

Happy Trails :)
  • Feistycat
    Feistycat Posts: 12,868 Member
    Options
    Shovel. And shovel your neighbors' sidewalks.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Watch the forecast and dress for the weather.

This

Alternatively a road bike on a turbo with the Sufferfest
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    iPad and Netflix and just run. Don't think about it so much.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill as well, but also don't enjoy running in temp less than about 30 degrees. Like other's have said, I do interval type training when I'm on the treadmill and it's actually helped my speed quite a bit. Since the treadmill can kind of force my speed, I usually set it for 30 sec/mile pace better than what I normally run outside. So my if I'm currently running about 7 min mile fast pace outside, I'd run a interval like this:
    1st 1/4 mile - 8min/mi
    2nd - 7:30
    3rd - 7
    4th - 6:30 (1 mile done)
    5th - 7
    6th - 7:30
    7th - 8
    8th - 7:30 (2 miles)
    9th - 7
    10th - 6:30
    11th - 7
    12th - 7:30 (3 miles)
    5 min cooldown
  • juliet3455
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @kvansteen Finally found the discussion that I was looking for, check out page 3 as it has a great Winter Workout Layering Guide.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/401508/running-in-cold-weather/p3
    bpxs7m1ul1ra.jpg
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    OP Play with your layering. I am from the 49th parallel and I'm used to being in colder weather. I would die if I ran in 50 degree weather in a long sleeved shirt, and full pants. I wear capris and a short sleeved shirt. Last November it was super cold for my Veteran's day race, and I wore a dri fit hoodie. The sweat from my hair froze, and I had chunks of ice in it. I would have been better off tucking my hair under a hat.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I do not run outside when it gets in the Negatives I just do not enjoy it. I enjoy running outside but I also like treadmill, Headphones on TV in front of me I do not have to worry about kids, dogs elderly (bless all of them) but they have a habit of stepping in front of me just as i step to go around them. Treadmill has its positives but so does outside and they both have there negatives. Try to look at the positives you might start enjoying it. Maybe?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill. I have it set up in front of a tv. I put on closed captioning, find something I want to watch AND crank the tunes on the radio. Never bored.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the treadmill but it hasn't always been that way. I would recommend the same as others - HIIT to keep it interesting, watch some shows OR... my favorite is audiobooks. I know it sounds lame but I get totally absorbed in the story and it makes time fly.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Tip: run outside, if you're dressed properly it can be very enjoyable (pretty much the only time I'll use my treadmill is after freezing rain)

x2tj2y41r2m0.jpg
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    For those that run outside in the snow/ice: how do you keep from sinking in the snow, or slipping? How well do YakTrax work? We have so much snow and ice here in the winter I'm not sure how to navigate it.
  • mattssoccermom9
    mattssoccermom9 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill at home that I have been doing. I put my Luke Bryan cd in and go. Sometimes I keep the same speed which is 2.5 mph and sometimes I go up between 3 and 3.5 mph. I have even found myself upping the speed to 3.8. Depending how fast I go I can be at the 2.75 mile mark by the time my cd is over and keep going until I hit the 3 mile mark.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    @brendak76; For those that run outside in the snow/ice: how do you keep from sinking in the snow, or slipping?
    This has been a strange winter to say the least, normally we would have 50-100 cm ( 20-40 in ) of snow in Northern Canada where I live but are basically running on bare pavement and single track/double track bush trails with 2-10cm ( 1-4 in ) of snow. Quite simply " Find a Local Running Group and join them " as they will have lots of local experience about good running options no matter what the weather or your skill level. Ask runners you meet on the Trails, ask at your local Running-Sporting Goods store or Search on Google-FB.
    With my local group we don't run in deep snow as there are to many hidden dangers, so when the trails close up we start doing the Dreaded Real Estate runs around the local sub-divisions. Some of our trails are outside Town Limits so there are no restrictions on motorized vehicles, we will run a snowmobile on these trails to pack them down and give us a good solid stable base that will hold up until the spring melts. Within the Town the Riverbank and Park Trails are plowed/cleared by the Town after a snowfall so we can still run on them. But what we have now is a joy.
    How well do YakTrax work? We have so much snow and ice here in the winter I'm not sure how to navigate it.
    Have only used " Traction Aids " twice and they were very helpful and confidence boosting. The ones I have are actually a collection of Tungsten Spikes similar to YakTrax that leaves about 60% of your shoe tread free to make contact with the running surface. They are great on compacted snow - ice layers but on super thin sheet ice or bare pavement they become uncomfortable on long runs. I still have them but haven't used them for a run this year as I have improved my technique/shortened my stride on ice and this keeps my foot plant under my hip which gives maximum stability. Shoes? If you have a lot of snow/ice investing in a pair of Winter Bush Trail shoes might be a good idea, if nothing else they have a more aggressive tread pattern and are more water proof which helps keep your feet dry. Hope this helps you.
  • Seacgo
    Seacgo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    kvansteen wrote: »
    I have fell in love with running outside. My problem is that I live in the midwest and winter is going to be upon us sooner than I wish. I can bundle up some days and manage, but I would like to continue running about 3x a week. I have a gym at my college that I can use for free, and I have tried it a couple of times. My problem is that I hate the treadmill. I'm afraid I'm going to trip and bang my face. I also am constantly playing with the settings and cannot find a "routine" that I enjoy. I cannot figure out how to preprogram it either. I would like to set it so I can do my Couch to 10k, but I don't know how. Also, I get bored because the "scenery" doesn't change. I don't know, anyone have any tips?

I used to have that same fear. I started power walking HIIT intervals and gradually worked my way up running them at incline and I no longer hate it and I'm not afraid anymore. I just ho on and rin. It's also made me a better faster outdoor runner. If you have a polar HR monitor their app has some pretty good interval workouts that you can listen to. I advise using a wireless headphone though because I've gotten tangled in the cord and nearly broke my phone.