Oil in smoothies?

Options
I mentioned my amazing chocolate cherry green smoothie to a friend because she makes a smoothie a day, and she told me that I need to add oil to my smoothies. To the tune of 1 - 2.5 teaspoons! If I'm getting oils elsewhere though, I don't think I need to add it to my smoothie. I eat salad dressings, use healthy oils for cooking etc. Is there some magic component to putting oil into a smoothie that I'm missing?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I mentioned my amazing chocolate cherry green smoothie to a friend because she makes a smoothie a day, and she told me that I need to add oil to my smoothies. To the tune of 1 - 2.5 teaspoons! If I'm getting oils elsewhere though, I don't think I need to add it to my smoothie. I eat salad dressings, use healthy oils for cooking etc. Is there some magic component to putting oil into a smoothie that I'm missing?

I've never heard that before, and it seems like the only reason to do it would be if you lack fats in your overall diet. I'd skip it if you're getting plenty of fat elsewhere.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

I've never heard that before, and it seems like the only reason to do it would be if you lack fats in your overall diet. I'd skip it if you're getting plenty of fat elsewhere.

Agree
  • DebJ618
    DebJ618 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I add about 1 tsp coconut oil and 1 tsp grass fed butter to my morning smoothie. I do not use honey or sugar and have switched to unsweetened almond milk.
    Adding the oil/butter has made it so that I could go a lot longer before my next meal - ie my fasting days.

It is similar to the concept of the "Bullet Proof" coffee.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Smoothies taste good without the oil... I'd rather use it somewhere else. Why add the calories where they're not needed?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Did you ask her why she thought you needed oil in your smoothies? If you want some healthy fats in your smoothie try avocado - it doesn't change the flavor and makes it nice and creamy. I've done that once or twice and maybe coconut oil once... I normally don't add any oil.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Unless it is the equivalent of adding vanilla syrup to a chocolate milk (the secret ingredient you've all been missing), then I wouldn't bother.

Try it, see if you like it and if it is worth the calories. If you don't like it or it isn't worth the calories, then don't do it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Fat is good for satiety. I need some sort of fat with each meal or I won't feel satisfied. For smoothies, I might add peanut butter, an egg, or coconut oil.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes add a bit of coconut oil to my smoothies.
  • KaleYogaGin
    KaleYogaGin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I add flax oil to mine because of the helthy fats and omega 3s, which as a vegan I don't get elsewhere. If I have a salad for lunch though I usually don't bother, the oils will go in the dressing. I agree with kshama2001 about the satiety. Oils keep me full for longer.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Did you ask her why she thought you needed oil in your smoothies? If you want some healthy fats in your smoothie try avocado - it doesn't change the flavor and makes it nice and creamy. I've done that once or twice and maybe coconut oil once... I normally don't add any oil.

This sounds good.

I wouldn't add oil to a smoothie, but I'm someone for whom oil makes no difference for satiety and it doesn't sound tasty. I might experiment with eating some nuts along with it and see if it makes a difference. Or if you are content as is and get plenty of fat (most do), I wouldn't worry about it.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I would think this is good if you need the fats. I add milk or yogurt to my smoothie, so I have no need to add oil.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking this became a "thing" when people began replacing real meals with smoothies. Then it would be important to include the oil. But since you have a smoothie here or there and still add oil in other meals, there is no need.