How to not give into tempting treats?

Options
Hi everyone, as halloween took place yesterday, there is a lot of treats that were brought home by my little sister, plus extra candy and chocolates left over that we didn't get a chance to give out. they are very tempting, and after breakfast i already had a small package of skittles. to top it off, i have a test tomorrow and imm stressed and I'm going to the candy bag. i think i had a 500 cal breakfast that was prepared for me as i woke up late, and I've had no sleep. I'm stressed and i go to eating to feel better, and I'm trying to avoid the candy

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A sense of perspective helps if you want to maintain happily - remember how many days there are in a year and how little one day matters.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I like to log stuff BEFORE I even think about eating it. Cause when you see that all of 3 pieces of candy will blow up your whole calorie allowance for the whole day, that's some major incentive to abstain. Alternately, pick a few pieces to have, go for a long walk to earn them via calorie burn (before you eat them or you might be tempted to blow off the walk), and put the rest out of sight out of mind.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, as halloween took place yesterday, there is a lot of treats that were brought home by my little sister, plus extra candy and chocolates left over that we didn't get a chance to give out. they are very tempting, and after breakfast i already had a small package of skittles. to top it off, i have a test tomorrow and imm stressed and I'm going to the candy bag. i think i had a 500 cal breakfast that was prepared for me as i woke up late, and I've had no sleep. I'm stressed and i go to eating to feel better, and I'm trying to avoid the candy

Overeating never helps stress. Doing something active, on the other hand, helps a lot. Go for a walk.

As far as the candy goes, either eat some & chalk it up to Halloween and/or like @clgaram720 said put it out of sight, out of mind. If you eat some, you're going to have to log it!

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    There are only two things that have ever helped me resist treats. The first is to keep them out of the house. The second is to practice not eating them, repeatedly. I am currently practicing not eating the Halloween candy. Soon, I will remove it from the house.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't resist. From Friday to Sunday this past weekend I had pizza, chips, nachos, and probably 20 or more mini chocolate bars.

However, over the past 6 weeks or so I lost about 4 lbs (I'm currently 3 lbs below my "minimum"), and intend to continue to eat at a slight deficit to prepare for the holidays. If you want the food, eat the food. That's how I feel.

I'm actually planning to gain 3-4 lbs in December, because that's what happened last year. I'll try to be more mindful, but at the same time I will not be miserable. So, I suggest planning ahead so you can indulge guilt-free.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    So you're stressed and you want to eat more, which is just going to make you worse because you'll feel guilty about it too... is it what you want?

I don't resist though. I log two pieces of candy and have two pieces of candy, that way I'm satisfied and I can move on instead of obsessing on the candy.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Pre-log the candy and make it work with your goals, then eat without guilt.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    So you're stressed and you want to eat more, which is just going to make you worse because you'll feel guilty about it too... is it what you want?

I don't resist though. I log two pieces of candy and have two pieces of candy, that way I'm satisfied and I can move on instead of obsessing on the candy.

This^

Maintenance is a whole lifetime of managing holidays, birthday parties, potlucks, etc. Keep on logging....and practice self control.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

This^

Maintenance is a whole lifetime of managing holidays, birthday parties, potlucks, etc. Keep on logging....and practice self control.

Just starting maintenance myself but this is the strategy I used throughout my loss stage.I find eating really rich candy helps, like a good dark chocolate. 1 or 2 pieces satisfies me, and I can continue on with my day. Otherwise I find that resisting leads to binges and those are unhealthy.

Other strategies I use is to log it and see how it fits into the days meal plan. Sometimes just watching my macros blow up is enough to crush the urge...
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I used to love eating all the left over candy at Halloween, but during my weight loss I had a piece of really good dark chocolate every evening.
    Now, I look at the Halloween candy think good choc, low cal: so-so choc bar from Halloween, double the cal.
    Pass on the Halloween.

Decide on your priorities. You are in maintenance and watching a goal range, instead of pounds going down, this gives you leeway to indulge a little, but make it worth it.

Cheers, h.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    I put it somewhere that I can't reach it. I would need to stand on a chair or step ladder to reach it. I won't bother doing that and if I can't see it and it is out of reach I forget about it.
  • Jamies_Mum
    Jamies_Mum Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I gave all mine away and left all the ones that were not so tempting too me (gummy sweets, jelly beans, lollypops ect) for my partner and 5 yr old. They're not big chocolate eaters anyway so better that it was out the house.

But I'm also 5lb of breaking a small goal for me so I'm also always saying 'is it worth the extra week being good, for one bad thing?' It helps, sometimes.

But if you really crave it, you better eat it, or you'll go mad when you eventually do. That's how my binges start. Better to eat in moderation if you really can't resist. :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    hide it, throw it out.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I had my Halloween candy logged for weeks before Halloween so I knew exactly what I wanted to eat and that helped tremendously the day of, but yes it is tough when candy is out in the open even when you are not planning to eat it.

Explaining to your family that it will help you to put it out of sight or even out of the house and they are not likely to object to your getting rid of what's left. I took our extra's to our local dentist who does a buy back. This likely won't work with your sister's candy, but she shouldn't object to keeping hers out of sight, especially if you explain you are more likely to eat some of it if she leaves it out!

ETA: I meant to add that I often add a little "substitute" for when I want to reach for something that I know I don't really want to eat and that feels like I am being nice to myself. Halloween night I kept a peppermint lipgloss in my pocket and whenever I thought of grabbing one of my daughter's candies I just put on some lip gloss instead. It worked pretty well.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I think I'm pretty lucky living in a rural area - no trick or treaters means not having to buy in any sweets. Not that candy appeals to me - I guess thats also lucky. Chocolate I do love though but again am happy to share half a bar with hubby.... I wasn't always that way but 3 years on MFP has made me have new and lasting eating habits.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Maybe just eat "some" of it, log it....and give the rest away.
  • bkstein40
    bkstein40 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, Halloween night handing out the candy was tuff, I so badly wanted a box of dots. Instead I had a bowl of fresh pineapple. And like you I have candy left over and bought a special bag for my hubby and 19 year old son who now as of yesterday jumped on board with me. All of the candy is in the front room, basically out of site out of mind, last night I thought about grabbing a twizzler snack size, but nope I grabbed a yogurt instead. Kind of like the commercial you can choose to have the not so healthy snack or grab something healthy that will fill you up without the guilt. I am just 2.5lbs away from maintenance mode, which I am getting anxious for to start my new journey of maintenance mode, so I think is also a motivation factor.
    Good Luck on your life style change journey, you can do it, stay positive!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

This^

Just starting maintenance myself but this is the strategy I used throughout my loss stage.I find eating really rich candy helps, like a good dark chocolate. 1 or 2 pieces satisfies me, and I can continue on with my day. Otherwise I find that resisting leads to binges and those are unhealthy.

Other strategies I use is to log it and see how it fits into the days meal plan. Sometimes just watching my macros blow up is enough to crush the urge...

Yes - dark chocolate! It has more of the chocolate flavor I'm looking for.
  • tlwshaw
    tlwshaw Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I keep a pottery jar on my desk with Dove dark chocolate in it. One piece satisfies my chocolate craving, and then I am fine.