Vegetarian Baby - protein sources?

Options
My little girl is about to turn one year old. She's never eaten meat, and maybe she will when she can decide for herself. It's not my choice to make for her. Anyway...

Without meat, protein is always a prime dietary consideration. So I'm looking for ways to make sure she gets enough protein in her diet. I mean, I can feed her textured vegetable protein all the time and she'd get more than enough protein, but that's counterproductive. Your protein should come from as many sources as possible. Fruit, vegetables, and grains tend to not have much more than "token" amounts of protein as well. You'd have to eat copious amounts of them to get a significant amout of protein, and babies' bellies are small.

That's basically the concern - where to get protein aside from soy. She doesn't eat very much dairy, but the dairy that she "would" eat is being replaced by Soy sources - milk and yogurt mostly. They have comparable soy protein content.

She now attends daycare and can't have nut products while there due to the possibility of other kids being allergic. And apparently we should not be introducing nuts for another year, still. She eats 2 of 3 meals a day there, so I want to be able to provide protein-rich choices for her but give her variety.

With protein powders, 99% of them as either Whey (Dairy) or Soy. I was able to find her one derived from rice and another derived from a wide variety of vegetable sources. These are awesome and tasty, but not realistic to incorporate daily.

Wheat Gluten, aside from TVP, is the other main constituent of many fake meat products due to its meaty texture when cooked. I just don't know what I'd do for her with it. I make these great fake ribs with it, but they are way too tough for her to eat anytime in the near future.

So... no dairy, no soy, no gluten, no nuts - how do I incorporate some unique proteins into my daughter's diet?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Beans and lentils maybe? Tofu?
  • bluecutipy
    bluecutipy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you know this already, but if you combine a grain with a legume then it will make a complete protein... Maybe you could think of some toddler friendly combos from those 2 items.
  • justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Diced avacado...my daughter loved it when she that age. Parents magazine also listed it as a "finger food" that they can learn to self-feed.
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think you under estimate grains and amino acid combinations (like beans and grains), which are great finger foods. I have a little boy who is 1 year old in a couple of days. We are vegetarian and he is unable to have soy or dairy (for the time being). He is also happy, healthy and growing like a weed (out pacing his peers - though that has more to do with genetics). He does have eggs, though only the yokes until after his birthday. He also enjoys Quorn products, which is a meat sub without soy or gluten (that I know of). The texture is very easy for him to eat with his 4 little teeth.

I could go on forever, however, I am pooped and ready for bed. I recommend the book Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. It is my baby feeding "bible" and the author is a veggie. Great book. http://www.amazon.com/Super-Baby-Food-2nd-Second/dp/B003YE20X4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307686012&sr=8-2

I mentioned my little one, but I also have 3 others ages 4 - 16. They are all vegetarians and have been since conception. I have zero regrets. It's been great! It is very possible to raise your children this way and it doesn't need to be hard. You've taken the first step in asking for advice. Feel free to friend me if you like.
  • allywilkes
    allywilkes Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hmm. How about beans and legumes? You can mash them up if it's texture that's the problem. Maybe something like hommous used to dip veggies or bread? That would also be a good "finger food" which she could pick up and learn to eat herself.

Is she vegetarian or vegan? If ovo-lacto vegetarian, cheese is also a good way to get protein (and fat - I've heard that growing children need a lot more fat than we realise) into a diet. This could also be a "finger food" to learn self-feeding.

Wait a minute, I just saw you're phasing out dairy for soy. Hmm. I suppose beans and legumes is really then your best option for an additional non-processed protein group.
  • antijen
    Options
    A couple more things I thought of after I hit "post." We were just mentioning today what a surprising amount of protein peas have. http://veganwoman.blogspot.com/2009/05/ode-to-peas-protein-for-vegans.html

Quinoa is a versatile grain that is also one of the few plant based sources of a complete protein.

Another great website (though not a veggie one). http://wholesomebabyfood.com
  • antijen
    Options
    Oops double post.
  • antijen
    Options
    This is terrifying. Have you discussed this with your or your baby's doctor?

P.S, to the poster above, avocados have barely any protein.

Untrue. http://www.livestrong.com/article/269370-high-protein-avocado-vegan-foods/
  • antijen
    Options
    This is terrifying. Have you discussed this with your or your baby's doctor?

P.S, to the poster above, avocados have barely any protein.

Untrue. http://www.livestrong.com/article/269370-high-protein-avocado-vegan-foods/

From the article: "1 cup of avocado slices contains about 2.9g of protein"

2.9g in a cup.. that's considered high, eh? well, i guess it's 2,900,000 micrograms... and that sounds like a big number, so, yeah...

No. It's not high, but it's not low either, especially since the average 1 year old needs about 16 grams of protein daily, this is 18% of their requirement. Also consider how much fat a toddler needs (44 grams) and an avocado is a wonderful baby food (which is what I think the person who suggested this was getting at).
  • littleveg
    littleveg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hey!! i have tons of recommendations....SEEDS! unlike nuts, they are usually well-tolerated by most... Sunflower, pumpkin, hemp....all great sources for protein and healthy fats. Def look for RAW, unroasted....Also, how about sunflower seed butter or hempseed butter spread on gluten-free bread or crackers, or apple slices? all kid friendly foods. As mentioned with the rice & beans thing, two or more protein sources can be combined to make them "complete"... Same goes for protein powder. Look for ones that combine rice, hemp, flax, chia, & pea protein. Straight rice or pea protein may not contain all the essential amino acids, thus "incomplete". It is said that Hemp on its own is actually a complete protein, but i like to combine with other sources.
    Another great choice: SPIRULINA. Ounce for ounce, it is actually more protein-dense than meat or any of the above sources, and you only need a little bit of it to reap the tremendous benefits. It is also safe for kids...and an awesome bright blue-green color, how cool is that?! Use it in green & fruit juices or smoothies, sprinkled on salads...or my fave way... mixed into guacamole to make it EXTRA green!! yum!!
    i would avoid too much of the processed soy stuff because there is a lot of questionable info out there on possible health risks. good luck!!!
  • littleveg
    littleveg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    hey!! i have tons of recommendations....SEEDS! unlike nuts, they are usually well-tolerated by most... Sunflower, pumpkin, hemp....all great sources for protein and healthy fats. Def look for RAW, unroasted....Also, how about sunflower seed butter or hempseed butter spread on gluten-free bread or crackers, or apple slices? all kid friendly foods. As mentioned with the rice & beans thing, two or more protein sources can be combined to make them "complete"... Same goes for protein powder. Look for ones that combine rice, hemp, flax, chia, & pea protein. Straight rice or pea protein may not contain all the essential amino acids, thus "incomplete". It is said that Hemp on its own is actually a complete protein, but i like to combine with other sources.
    Another great choice: SPIRULINA. Ounce for ounce, it is actually more protein-dense than meat or any of the above sources, and you only need a little bit of it to reap the tremendous benefits. It is also safe for kids...and an awesome bright blue-green color, how cool is that?! Use it in green & fruit juices or smoothies, sprinkled on salads...or my fave way... mixed into guacamole to make it EXTRA green!! yum!!
    i would avoid too much of the processed soy stuff because there is a lot of questionable info out there on possible health risks. good luck!!!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    is there a special reason youre replacing dairy with Soya for her?

Is she still breastfed? If not, then i would seriously consider keeping her with dairy till shes a bit older, in all honesty. Im sure veganism is possible, but i dont think its an ideal diet for that age group and consequences could be more far reaching than they would be at your age. I realise a lot of societies dont use dairy and are very healthy, but they are usually ones that eat a lot of fish and other protein too.

I dont think TVP is counterproductive, I think it could be a very useful tool. I wouldnt go so far as to have artifical supplements, but i would make sure to include beans, tvp, quorn,tofu, maybe smooth peanut/other nut butter if no allergies, bread, pasta.

She doesnt need a high protein diet, but you obviously need to get it from somewhere.
    I would consider contacting the vegan society for more info

http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyle/parenting/
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    i think thats a little unfair.

non-vegans neglect their babies and dont feed them adequately too. The cases that youre referring to are very extreme and are more about neglect than the actual veganism itself. I have a friend who is vegan and raising two daughters who are in rude health. It IS possible, but you do have to be careful with the diet, and id say it was not ideal - particularly as theyre in childcare and you wont always be able to monitor it all.

I do think if possible though, you should save the dairy free aspect of the diet as a possible choice for them to make themselves when theyre older, and just stick to simple vegetarianism for a few more years, which is much much more balanced and suitable
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Hey, look on the bright side, not all of the parents who have killed their children by malnourishing them went to prison. A few got away with it.

These sorts of stories that I've heard about over the years have caused me to be a little concerned when I hear about someone attempting to raise a baby as a vegan. It's one thing for a grown adult to make this decision, but very different for a baby. And the fact that the OP is reaching out for help FOR HER BABY, on this website where even full grown adults can hardly figure out how to feed themselves has me just terrified for that poor baby.

I suspect it can be done in a healthy manner, but it would require some really expert knowledge and guidance.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371172/French-vegan-couple-face-jail-child-neglect-baby-died-vitamin-deficiency.html
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18574603/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/vegan-couple-sentenced-life-over-babys-death/
    http://naturalhygienesociety.org/diet-veganbaby.html
    http://www.hunter-gatherer.com/blog/vegan-baby-dies-because-mothers-milk-was-vitamin-deficient
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/21/opinion/21planck.html

i hardly think thats fair
    the OP is asking for help so that malnutrition is not going to be a problem and as someone whose has raised 5 kids veggie and they are all tall for age and very healthy i think being rude about a persons life choices is uncalled for if you have nothing constructive to say then dont reply we dont have to agree with everyones choices

to the OP my kids all had wide verietys of quorn products they hated tofu but loved quorn they had lentil based foods frequently and plenty of vegatables they did have eggs and cheese milk etc tho and now there older all except one will eat halal meat but they really arent fussed with meat things and eat maybe once a month good luck and please dont listen to negative comments its your baby and ultimatly your choice and im sure if you thought your baby was lacking you would rethink your options
  • KickassYas
    KickassYas Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    see your pediatrician. seriously. for questions about the health of a baby i would go straight to a pro. we aren't pros. none of us. you are taking a huge risk and if you want to do that seek pro help to have all the right info.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    another thing to bear in mind, is that vegan diets are often very low fat and high fibre, which whilst it is promoted and is healthy for an adult, is not healthy for a baby/toddler at all. They have very different requirements